• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket under lights?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about that. Is it more of a problem when the paint comes off if it's dark underneath - for seeing perhaps?
NFI, tbh.

Marketing will drive this one, I reckon. If cricket boards reckon it'll bring more people to Tests, it'll happen regardless of the complaints from the players, especially since their complaints aren't exactly fatal for the idea of playing Tests under lights. I say bring it on, I'd love to go see a Test at night.

I'm already laughing at the uproar, though, when it's realised that white clothing looks like **** under lights and players are forced to play in coloured clothes.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Wasnt the problem with moisture and dew, especially in countries like England? Australia during the summer its not a huge problem but I dont know about other countries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England has absolutely no need whatsoever of day\night Tests, so the problem of dew in England should not be the remotest of debars.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It better happen, and soon. Don't see why they can't use a red ball like they do in day test matches.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
anyone remember NZ vs England at Eden Park in 2002? Was great fun but the players in the field had a bloody hard time seeing the ball against a dark sky.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, seriously? You're going to bring that into it? Half the ODIs are day/night, as is most of IPL.
Another reason I don't want ODIs/IPL. Having seen the energy crisis during my recent trip, I am totally against the misuse of energy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I find it funny how people who talk about Test cricket being the purest form of the game, are looking to alter the game for commercial reasons. Plus the fact that the complaints at the moment are symptoms that would lead to a less entertaining spectacle in the first place; with soft balls that don't bounce, come off the bat with any pace.

pasag

RTDAS
I find it funny how people who talk about Test cricket being the purest form of the game, are looking to alter the game for commercial reasons. Plus the fact that the complaints at the moment are symptoms that would lead to a less entertaining spectacle in the first place; with soft balls that don't bounce, come off the bat with any pace.
Once we're done with this, we move on to night Grand Finals.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England has absolutely no need whatsoever of day\night Tests, so the problem of dew in England should not be the remotest of debars.
No need because crowds are fine but it would still be awesome for the average cricket fan

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TV viewership might be improved if instead of 11-6, Tests were played from 2-9 or 3-10.

It wouldn't be proper day-night either, on a good day you'd only really need the lights after 8pm.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Day test cricket is becoming more and more less practical. This was seen by the recent crowd figures at Eden Gardens which were roughly 25% of stadium capacity. Day-Night cricket is a question of when and not if. I would love to go to a match 5.30 PM in the evening and enjoy a contest till 10.30 in the night. Would be awesome.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's no guarantee it will pull in the crowds, but how anyone could be opposed to the spectacle of India playing to a packed Eden Gardens under lights is beyond me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I find it funny how people who talk about Test cricket being the purest form of the game, are looking to alter the game for commercial reasons..
No, altering the game would be introducing power plays. Moving it a few hours later is not altering the game. It's allowing people who want to watch cricket to actually go and watch the game. It makes zero sense why anyone would ever think that it's a bad thing. I find it odd that there's even a debate about things like that, or putting players names on back of shirts, and things like that. I just don't get the other side.

Plus the fact that the complaints at the moment are symptoms that would lead to a less entertaining spectacle in the first place; with soft balls that don't bounce, come off the bat with any pace
Necessity is the mother of invention. Try it out, and I guarantee within a year, they'll have it sorted. Right now it just seems like a complete cop-out excuse.

pasag

RTDAS
No, altering the game would be introducing power plays. Moving it a few hours later is not altering the game. It's allowing people who want to watch cricket to actually go and watch the game. It makes zero sense why anyone would ever think that it's a bad thing. I find it odd that there's even a debate about things like that, or putting players names on back of shirts, and things like that. I just don't get the other side.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Try it out, and I guarantee within a year, they'll have it sorted. Right now it just seems like a complete cop-out excuse.
eh? That's ridiculous. You do proper testing first, like any product. I reckon I've been pushing for this more than anyone on the forum but introducing it before it's ready could lead to a disaster and potentially killing all support for the idea within cricket admin circles.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dew factor in India will be ridiculous. If they can actually find a way to properly deal with it then day/night Tests would be awesome there. Oh and the balls too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dew factor in India will be ridiculous. If they can actually find a way to properly deal with it then day/night Tests would be awesome there. Oh and the balls too.
There are ways to counter the dew now. They use some modern technology nowadays. Don't remember exactly what.