Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Test cricket under lights?

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yes.

Personally the biggest reason why D/N Shield matches failed the first time had little to do with the ball. The players bitched a bit but, really, only a few more people went than would have during the day.

The conspiratorialist in me wonders about the most recent ball issues and whether it's being set up to fail a bit. The players have said the pink rubs off to reveal the white ball underneath. Why are they just painting over an already painted surface? If not for untoward reasons, that's pretty bloody shoddy.
    No, there's technical reasons why you can't produce pink leather and you have to paint. Can't remember the details.

Definitely think they should just go for it though. I was disappointed that using our home tests against Bangladesh to try this summer fell through.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    D/N's on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the test, weekends back to day.
    You'd seriously advocate playing until late at night then backing up for an 10:30 or 11am start the next day? Crazy.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    No, there's technical reasons why you can't produce pink leather and you have to paint. Can't remember the details.
    That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why, instead of painting the ball white first then painting it pink, they didn't just paint it pink.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Have said it before - day\night Test cricket is unneccessary in some parts of the cricket World and thus should not be brought in purely for the sake of it.

If there's a genuine chance of it upping viewing figures somewhere, however, great - and it should certainly have effort put into making it happen.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why, instead of painting the ball white first then painting it pink, they didn't just paint it pink.
    I don't know about that. Is it more of a problem when the paint comes off if it's dark underneath - for seeing perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I don't know about that. Is it more of a problem when the paint comes off if it's dark underneath - for seeing perhaps?
    NFI, tbh.

Marketing will drive this one, I reckon. If cricket boards reckon it'll bring more people to Tests, it'll happen regardless of the complaints from the players, especially since their complaints aren't exactly fatal for the idea of playing Tests under lights. I say bring it on, I'd love to go see a Test at night.

I'm already laughing at the uproar, though, when it's realised that white clothing looks like **** under lights and players are forced to play in coloured clothes.

U19 12th Man
    Wasnt the problem with moisture and dew, especially in countries like England? Australia during the summer its not a huge problem but I dont know about other countries.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    England has absolutely no need whatsoever of day\night Tests, so the problem of dew in England should not be the remotest of debars.

It better happen, and soon. Don't see why they can't use a red ball like they do in day test matches.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

School Boy/Girl Captain thedarkmullet's Avatar
    anyone remember NZ vs England at Eden Park in 2002? Was great fun but the players in the field had a bloody hard time seeing the ball against a dark sky.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha, seriously? You're going to bring that into it? Half the ODIs are day/night, as is most of IPL.
    Another reason I don't want ODIs/IPL. Having seen the energy crisis during my recent trip, I am totally against the misuse of energy.

I'm up for day/night tests. Bring it on.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

I find it funny how people who talk about Test cricket being the purest form of the game, are looking to alter the game for commercial reasons. Plus the fact that the complaints at the moment are symptoms that would lead to a less entertaining spectacle in the first place; with soft balls that don't bounce, come off the bat with any pace.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I find it funny how people who talk about Test cricket being the purest form of the game, are looking to alter the game for commercial reasons. Plus the fact that the complaints at the moment are symptoms that would lead to a less entertaining spectacle in the first place; with soft balls that don't bounce, come off the bat with any pace.
    Once we're done with this, we move on to night Grand Finals.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Well night Australian Open finals have been awesome

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information