• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asian Countries In race Of cricket

shikha

Banned
This race started when team India start playing cricket against england.Then After partition Pakistan cricket team came to existence.now in this sri lanka Bangladesh and Afghanistan also playing cricket and has qualified the t20 world cup

biased indian

International Coach
This race started when team India start playing cricket against england.Then After partition Pakistan cricket team came to existence.now in this sri lanka Bangladesh and Afghanistan also playing cricket and has qualified the t20 world cup
Nepal to follow

Bracken

U19 Debutant

Pumpkin Escobar says: "Man... I don't know what the **** you just said, Little Kid. But you're special man, you reached out, and you touched a brother's heart."

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to Mongolia coming on board, and their opening batsman Bayaraagiin Naranbaatar wrestling Mitchell Johnson to the ground in a choke hold after Mitch tries to headbutt him.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thank you for that 10-second history lesson that, really, no-one on this board remotely needed.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thank you for that 10-second history lesson that, really, no-one on this board remotely needed.
This is exactly what we're referring to in the atmosphere thread of members, especially those that have been around a while being rude towards new members.

How about guiding them by being friendly and they'll get the message of how to contribute to the forum in a positive fashion?

That sort of post is never needed.

Apologies for Richard's post.

When creating a new thread, try to prompt some discussion by offering some opinions and/or a question rather than just making a one-off statement like you've done here.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome to the Forum Shikha. nice name btw, my niece has the same name.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Please don't misinterpret this post, but it does seem that in recent times Cricket spreads to poorer countries rather than predominantly affluent nations. Why is this so?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because affluent nations already have their own sporting leagues well set with a following dating back many many decades. It's harder to infiltrate the US and Canada when NBA, NFL, MBL and NHL have such a huge following.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That's true for the affluent countries, but it doesn't explain why Cricket is growing popular in poorer nations.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's true for the affluent countries, but it doesn't explain why Cricket is growing popular in poorer nations.
Because there is an organization with the money, they know their potential market and probably investing in it just like FIFA is investing more in South America and African countries.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Growing in terms of what? As poorer countries get richer comparatively, they have more moeny to spend on things like sports and infrastructure for sports. As the quality of life increases, people also are looking to spend a little extra money on entertainment. Cricket is not necessarily more 'popular' in India now than it was in the 1970s, but the country as a whole is richer and people are willing and able to spend more, which leads to it becoming a force when it wasn't before.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's what SS said, and there's the fact that cricket is actively attempting to expand into these 'poorer' nations, as they are beginning to develop.

Alternative sports are not putting as much effort/money into this.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Growing in terms of what? As poorer countries get richer comparatively, they have more moeny to spend on things like sports and infrastructure for sports. As the quality of life increases, people also are looking to spend a little extra money on entertainment. Cricket is not necessarily more 'popular' in India now than it was in the 1970s, but the country as a whole is richer and people are willing and able to spend more, which leads to it becoming a force when it wasn't before.
I mean growing in terms of spreading the game to other countries.
I wasn't referring to India because it's already a cricket powerhouse. I meant other nations such as Afghanistan or Nepal. I'm basically asking, why cricket?

I suppose Sanz is right though. I just wasn't aware that it was actually working that well

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Alternative sports are not putting as much effort/money into this.
Yeah, complete agree with this. For example, Tennis is very popular in India but we do not have enough facilities and it is limited to elite/Rich folks and hence he have hard time producing decent talents. Not so much with cricket, all you need is a Cricket bat and a ball and you can play cricket anywhere.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I mean growing in terms of spreading the game to other countries.
I wasn't referring to India because it's already a cricket powerhouse. I meant other nations such as Afghanistan or Nepal. I'm basically asking, why cricket?

I suppose Sanz is right though. I just wasn't aware that it was actually working that well
Also one thing, most of these countries were British colonies , so they already have some sort of infrastructure in place and general awareness/interest among the masses about the game itself.