• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Noob Qestions

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Please excuse my ignorance. I’m an American and have not been raised on the game of Cricket. I’ve been watching it recently on the internet and I’ve become quite enamored with this fabulous sport and I’m trying to understand it. I’ve picked up a copy of “Cricket For Dummies” and I’m getting a much better understand of the game.

I have a couple of questions that the book doesn’t address very well and I’d appreciate some additional insight.

Scenario:
The Striker hits the ball and both batters run to the opposite end of the pitch, touch their bats down behind the popping crease and stop as the ball is returned to the bowler.

Does this score 1 run or 2?

Scenario:
The Striker hits the ball and runs to the opposite end of the pitch, touches his bat down behind the popping crease and stops. The ball is fielded to the wicket-keeper who knocks the bails off the stumps with the ball before the Non-Striker can touch his bat behind the popping crease.

Which batter is out, the striker or the non-striker?

If the non-striker is out in this scenario, I would imagine it would be possible for a batter to be called out without ever facing the bowler. Is this true?

Does this score one run or zero runs?

I know these are very basic questions but I'm a complete moron and I'm trying to learn cricket from a book. Please take pity on me.:laugh:

Sir Alex

Banned
Please excuse my ignorance. I’m an American and have not been raised on the game of Cricket. I’ve been watching it recently on the internet and I’ve become quite enamored with this fabulous sport and I’m trying to understand it. I’ve picked up a copy of “Cricket For Dummies” and I’m getting a much better understand of the game.
Welcome to this fantastic sport as well as website.

Scenario:
The Striker hits the ball and both batters run to the opposite end of the pitch, touch their bats down behind the popping crease and stop as the ball is returned to the bowler.

Does this score 1 run or 2?
One run.

Scenario:
The Striker hits the ball and runs to the opposite end of the pitch, touches his bat down behind the popping crease and stops. The ball is fielded to the wicket-keeper who knocks the bails off the stumps with the ball before the Non-Striker can touch his bat behind the popping crease.

Which batter is out, the striker or the non-striker?
The non striker is out.

If the non-striker is out in this scenario, I would imagine it would be possible for a batter to be called out without ever facing the bowler. Is this true?
Yes.

Does this score one run or zero runs?
Zero runs. But if they had already completed a run and tried for a second run and in that process the above happened, then the completed runs (here one) would be counted.

I know these are very basic questions but I'm a complete moron and I'm trying to learn cricket from a book. Please take pity on me.:laugh:
No problemo.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Welcome to the cricket world my friend.

United States is indeed a giant prospect market for Cricket and your interest in this game is an encouraging sign that perhaps the American perception about the game is changing.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have deleted DingDong's post as it was completely unnecessary.

On a better note, Doctor Vapor, welcome to the forums and to cricket in general. Feel free to ask any more questions, someone will always be happy to answer :)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
hi Dr Vapour,

welcome to the greatest game on the planet.. well thats my opinion..

just wondering you say youvve been watching cricket on you tube, but are you able to find a game played somewhere near you.its a pity because recently the USA team got close in competing in the next world cup 20/20 comp.

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
hi Dr Vapour,

welcome to the greatest game on the planet.. well thats my opinion..

just wondering you say youvve been watching cricket on you tube, but are you able to find a game played somewhere near you.its a pity because recently the USA team got close in competing in the next world cup 20/20 comp.
Thank you all for your warm greetings and answers to my noobie questions. I'm sure I'll have more. To answer the question above, No, I did a google search for cricket clubs in my area and there are none. I'm in Charleston, South Carolina and there doesn't seem to be any live cricket here at all. Perhaps another search will turn up something within a day's drive.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
there should be one anywhere in the states where you may find a decent chunk of subcontinental guys who have come their for work or otherwise..

I am myself hoping to be at the States soon and have heard from my colleagues there that they do play some form of cricket. Perhaps not as organized as one may think..

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Between your comments and "Cricket for Dummies" I watched the ODI match between Australia and New Zealand and I understood 100% of it. It was really great to watch a match and be able to follow what was going on. I am the world’s newest Cricket fan. I’m hooked.

BTW, New Zealand won do to both great batting by Bond and bad bowling by the Aussies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thank you all for your warm greetings and answers to my noobie questions. I'm sure I'll have more. To answer the question above, No, I did a google search for cricket clubs in my area and there are none. I'm in Charleston, South Carolina and there doesn't seem to be any live cricket here at all. Perhaps another search will turn up something within a day's drive.
Dr. Vapor. You should try to reach out to folks at Home - Mid Atlantic Cricket Conference

I am sure of the fact that there are many teams from South Carolina that take part in the tournaments organized by them. Maybe there is something close enough for you.

Welcome to the Forum and do check out the following information about the greatest American Player of the game.

Bart King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bart King | United States of America Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Dr. Vapor. You should try to reach out to folks at Home - Mid Atlantic Cricket Conference

I am sure of the fact that there are many teams from South Carolina that take part in the tournaments organized by them. Maybe there is something close enough for you
Outstanding, I was able to locate two clubs beween a half hour and a 90 minute drive from my home. Thanks for the info. I plan on contacting them about schedules sometime today.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Between your comments and "Cricket for Dummies" I watched the ODI match between Australia and New Zealand and I understood 100% of it. It was really great to watch a match and be able to follow what was going on. I am the world’s newest Cricket fan. I’m hooked.

BTW, New Zealand won do to both great batting by Bond and bad bowling by the Aussies.
Nice work. Now all you need to do is support New Zealand over Australia, and you'll fit in here. :cool:

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Nice work. Now all you need to do is support New Zealand over Australia, and you'll fit in here. :cool:
If I'm not correct, there are 4 more ODI and 2 test matches scheduled for the next couple of weeks. I can assure you I'll be watching. It will be interesting to see if the BlackCaps can keep thier streak going. Now i have to figure out the time difference between Auckland and the east coast of the U.S. so i know what time the game starts.

The Personal World Clock

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If I'm not correct, there are 4 more ODI and 2 test matches scheduled for the next couple of weeks. I can assure you I'll be watching. It will be interesting to see if the BlackCaps can keep thier streak going. Now i have to figure out the time difference between Auckland and the east coast of the U.S. so i know what time the game starts.
Let's hope not mate.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You definitely picked a good game to start watching, glad you enjoyed it.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Welcome to CW (and Cricket). Yes, just don'tget used to the BlackCaps winning alot because ... Aussies will put up a fight and it will be very enjoyable because cricket is that sort of game.