Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England's T20WC squad

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar

England's T20WC squad

Today, England have selected their provisional 30-man squad to go to the West Indies.

For some reason completely unknown to me Graham Napier, one of the world's most impressive domestic T20 bowlers is not thought to be in the best 30 players for England.

It's nuts.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Today, England have selected their provisional 30-man squad to go to the West Indies.

For some reason completely unknown to me Graham Napier, one of the world's most impressive domestic T20 bowlers is not thought to be in the best 30 players for England.

It's nuts.
    I agree, I cannot understand for a minute why Graham Napier has not been given a chance in this format of the game. His power hitting, either down the order or in a pinch-hitting role, able fielding and very decent bowling mean he should have been given an opportunity before now.

I also would have thought a place for James Foster and Robert Key would have been the least they deserved too.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Yeah, all three discarded despite being in the final squad less than a year ago. Foster turned the game against India as well, the other two weren't given a chance.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I think James Foster showed the importance of having highly skilled keeper in this short form of the game where they can have a high influence on the game with pieces of brilliance like against India.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    I agree, I cannot understand for a minute why Graham Napier has not been given a chance in this format of the game. His power hitting, either down the order or in a pinch-hitting role, able fielding and very decent bowling mean he should have been given an opportunity before now.

I also would have thought a place for James Foster and Robert Key would have been the least they deserved too.
    Yes, why Foster never got another go I have no idea.

International Regular King Pietersen's Avatar

It's nuts.
    Nah, Bumble's gone off him now, Peter Trego's Bumble's star player, so Napier's been thrown to the way-side.

It continually annoys me the way Napier continues to get ignored, despite the fact he's a better T20 (and One Day) bowler than anyone in that England squad, especially Bresnan, Shahzad, Woakes, Finn, Mahmood, Trego, Mascarenhas, Yardy, Wainwright, Onions, Fat Sid and Plunkett. Basically all the bowlers picked bar possibly Broad. Man I hate our selectors. Why on earth do they continue to give chances to the likes of Mahmood, Mascarenhas, Bresnan, Yardy and Shah when they've done nothing worthwhile in their England careers? Napier wasn't even given a match in the 2009 T20 WC, yet he's been binned, it's a joke.

Don't get me started on Prior being picked ahead of Foster either. Not gonna win this tournament then....

I strongly believe that as long as England win Ashes.. they don't give a damn about winning any other tournment.. That is why they never won world cups..
    SALMAM KHAN The real king and Baadshah of Bollywood!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    I strongly believe that as long as England win Ashes.. they don't give a damn about winning any other tournment.. That is why they never won world cups..
    Personally disagree with this, though obviously the Ashes is the most important. Though the scheduling has been a problem recently with the ODI world cups directly after a long away Ashes tour. But generally we just haven't had the players.

I don't think the Ashes has anything to do with why the selectors are daft enough to pick Peter Trego over Graham Napier, or Matt Prior over James Foster.

Unbelievable, not sure whether to laugh or cry at the fact our selectors are quite so incompetent. What a farce.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Wainwright a tad left-field, isn't he? Has he even been on a Loins tour yet? Can see the attraction tho; SLA and can bat. ER rate actually very tidy too.

Nice to see Lumb get a go as well; thought we were looking light on South African raised players only yesterday...
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Personally disagree with this, though obviously the Ashes is the most important. Though the scheduling has been a problem recently with the ODI world cups directly after a long away Ashes tour. But generally we just haven't had the players.

I don't think the Ashes has anything to do with why the selectors are daft enough to pick Peter Trego over Graham Napier, or Matt Prior over James Foster.
    I said it from the prospect of a netural cricket fan and i meant it in a good way.. that is the aspect of the game that i like.. they focus in test matches more which is the real cricket and every country should do that instead of focusing on ODI, 20/20s or ICL and IPL crap..

so i didn't mean it in a bad way..but rather as a positive thing..

So ****ing sick, no Napier. Wait for him in the CL then England's selectors will have no choice but to start picking him.
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

Selectors have got the right idea in going with spin. The more the merrier.

FBU
    Both Napier and Trego played in the Hong Kong Sixes. One is more a batting all rounder and the other a bowling all rounder so they must have been looking for a batting all rounder as the batting in the provisional 30 looks a little light.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Wainwright a tad left-field, isn't he? Has he even been on a Loins tour yet? Can see the attraction tho; SLA and can bat. ER rate actually very tidy too.
    Left-hander named Wainwright? Should stick to music
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information