• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's T20WC squad

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Today, England have selected their provisional 30-man squad to go to the West Indies.

For some reason completely unknown to me Graham Napier, one of the world's most impressive domestic T20 bowlers is not thought to be in the best 30 players for England.

It's nuts.

Woodster

International Captain
Today, England have selected their provisional 30-man squad to go to the West Indies.

For some reason completely unknown to me Graham Napier, one of the world's most impressive domestic T20 bowlers is not thought to be in the best 30 players for England.

It's nuts.
I agree, I cannot understand for a minute why Graham Napier has not been given a chance in this format of the game. His power hitting, either down the order or in a pinch-hitting role, able fielding and very decent bowling mean he should have been given an opportunity before now.

I also would have thought a place for James Foster and Robert Key would have been the least they deserved too.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, all three discarded despite being in the final squad less than a year ago. Foster turned the game against India as well, the other two weren't given a chance.

Woodster

International Captain
I think James Foster showed the importance of having highly skilled keeper in this short form of the game where they can have a high influence on the game with pieces of brilliance like against India.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree, I cannot understand for a minute why Graham Napier has not been given a chance in this format of the game. His power hitting, either down the order or in a pinch-hitting role, able fielding and very decent bowling mean he should have been given an opportunity before now.

I also would have thought a place for James Foster and Robert Key would have been the least they deserved too.
Yes, why Foster never got another go I have no idea.

King Pietersen

International Captain

It's nuts.
Nah, Bumble's gone off him now, Peter Trego's Bumble's star player, so Napier's been thrown to the way-side. :dry:

It continually annoys me the way Napier continues to get ignored, despite the fact he's a better T20 (and One Day) bowler than anyone in that England squad, especially Bresnan, Shahzad, Woakes, Finn, Mahmood, Trego, Mascarenhas, Yardy, Wainwright, Onions, Fat Sid and Plunkett. Basically all the bowlers picked bar possibly Broad. Man I hate our selectors. Why on earth do they continue to give chances to the likes of Mahmood, Mascarenhas, Bresnan, Yardy and Shah when they've done nothing worthwhile in their England careers? Napier wasn't even given a match in the 2009 T20 WC, yet he's been binned, it's a joke.

Don't get me started on Prior being picked ahead of Foster either. Not gonna win this tournament then....

AaronK

State Regular
I strongly believe that as long as England win Ashes.. they don't give a damn about winning any other tournment.. That is why they never won world cups..

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I strongly believe that as long as England win Ashes.. they don't give a damn about winning any other tournment.. That is why they never won world cups..
Personally disagree with this, though obviously the Ashes is the most important. Though the scheduling has been a problem recently with the ODI world cups directly after a long away Ashes tour. But generally we just haven't had the players.

I don't think the Ashes has anything to do with why the selectors are daft enough to pick Peter Trego over Graham Napier, or Matt Prior over James Foster.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unbelievable, not sure whether to laugh or cry at the fact our selectors are quite so incompetent. What a farce.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wainwright a tad left-field, isn't he? Has he even been on a Loins tour yet? Can see the attraction tho; SLA and can bat. ER rate actually very tidy too.

Nice to see Lumb get a go as well; thought we were looking light on South African raised players only yesterday...

AaronK

State Regular
Personally disagree with this, though obviously the Ashes is the most important. Though the scheduling has been a problem recently with the ODI world cups directly after a long away Ashes tour. But generally we just haven't had the players.

I don't think the Ashes has anything to do with why the selectors are daft enough to pick Peter Trego over Graham Napier, or Matt Prior over James Foster.
I said it from the prospect of a netural cricket fan and i meant it in a good way.. that is the aspect of the game that i like.. they focus in test matches more which is the real cricket and every country should do that instead of focusing on ODI, 20/20s or ICL and IPL crap..

so i didn't mean it in a bad way..but rather as a positive thing..

bryce

International Regular
So ****ing sick, no Napier. Wait for him in the CL then England's selectors will have no choice but to start picking him.

FBU

International Debutant
Both Napier and Trego played in the Hong Kong Sixes. One is more a batting all rounder and the other a bowling all rounder so they must have been looking for a batting all rounder as the batting in the provisional 30 looks a little light.