Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should long-stops be introduced in ODI cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post

To play the shot successfully, you need the ball coming on with pace. Tait's slower ball isn't great, and he generally doesn't like to use it too often; thus it makes him a likely candidate for a ramp.
    Any batsmen willing to attempt a Dil scoop off a 150km/hr bowler is just insane and deserves the four if he can pull it off, or the resulting broken face.

P.S how cool is it for a batsmen to have a shot named after him.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    And like so often, the original purveyor is forgotten. That shot was first called "The Marillier", and has now been re-dubbed "The Dilscoop".

Of course the reality is that neither invented it, but it's always funny how the second or third to bring a shot\something-else to real prominence gets remembered rather than the first.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    The Bazzer IMO
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And like so often, the original purveyor is forgotten. That shot was first called "The Marillier", and has now been re-dubbed "The Dilscoop".

Of course the reality is that neither invented it, but it's always funny how the second or third to bring a shot\something-else to real prominence gets remembered rather than the first.
    Kinda like the Jayasuriya/Kalu 1st 15 overs.
    Not really who did it second or third, but on the bigger stage with higher success.

Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana another very pertinent example.

First to really bring Powerplay-over over-the-top hitting to prominence was Greatbatch and whoever his partner was in 1991/92 (Powerplays had already been around for over a decade before then but that was the first time they were used in a global competition and worldwide beaming of matches not involving your own side was still in its infancy at that stage - so the 1991/92 WC was the first time it really struck everyone simultaneously that someone was deliberately using the tactic of going for it in the first 15). But everyone remembers Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana for it.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.

First to really bring Powerplay-over over-the-top hitting to prominence was Greatbatch and whoever his partner was in 1991/92
    Rod Latham (for the most part)

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    England did it with Botham in the 80s as well. IIRC he opened in that tourney in Perth in 86-87 they had with the America's Cup.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I certainly remember him opening in the 1991/92 World Cup, with minimal success. Wouldn't be surprised if he'd done it before, but I don't think he did it long-term or in any global tournaments (the 1991/92 WC was the first to involve Powerplays).

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I think if you're going to resort to a long stop then you should consider having a chat to your bowler first and suggest he bowls in areas that don't allow the batsman to paddle it over the keeper's head. If it's that much of a concern drop the keeper back there.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Areas which don't allow the batsman to scoop it are notoriously difficult to find. Can you think of any (short of past leg-stump, which of course is a wide)?

Areas which don't allow the batsman to scoop it are notoriously difficult to find. Can you think of any (short of past leg-stump, which of course is a wide)?
    Reckon it would be hard to scoop if if you're dealing with 90mph missiles aimed at your toes.

Banned
    Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana another very pertinent example.

First to really bring Powerplay-over over-the-top hitting to prominence was Greatbatch and whoever his partner was in 1991/92 (Powerplays had already been around for over a decade before then but that was the first time they were used in a global competition and worldwide beaming of matches not involving your own side was still in its infancy at that stage - so the 1991/92 WC was the first time it really struck everyone simultaneously that someone was deliberately using the tactic of going for it in the first 15). But everyone remembers Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana for it.
    G Greenidge was the first player I watched who hit over the top at the beginning of the innings, some of his innings in the late 70's and early eighties would not look out of place in todays cricket. people forget how intimidating this man was opening the batting.

Batting ave 45 strike rate 65 and 11 hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Reckon it would be hard to scoop if if you're dealing with 90mph missiles aimed at your toes.
    I wonder. I'd have to examine the dimensions involved. The scoop of course is an entirely premeditated shot - you've no hope of playing it after seeing the ball, same way you don't when you play a sweep off the seamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    G Greenidge was the first player I watched who hit over the top at the beginning of the innings, some of his innings in the late 70's and early eighties would not look out of place in todays cricket. people forget how intimidating this man was opening the batting.

Batting ave 45 strike rate 65 and 11 hundreds.
    Yet for the most part, Greenidge did not play in matches which involved Powerplays. The only time they were used until the early-1990s was in ODIs in Australia.

Banned
    Yet for the most part, Greenidge did not play in matches which involved Powerplays. The only time they were used until the early-1990s was in ODIs in Australia.
    He was quite good at getting the WI off to a quick start hitting over the top, at the time 75 runs from the first 15 overs was amazing and you felt he put the game out of reach in the first 15 overs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information