• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The atmosphere in Cricket Chat - Suggestions & Discussion

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While the 'player discussion' sub-forum is nice in theory, I'm not sure whether it'll change anything. There's still a chance for massive flame wars in general CC even if that is implemented/ We all saw what happened to aussie, maybe certain members can take a similar route.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
While the 'player discussion' sub-forum is nice in theory, I'm not sure whether it'll change anything. There's still a chance for massive flame wars in general CC even if that is implemented/ We all saw what happened to aussie, maybe certain members can take a similar route.
I'd say it's worth a crack. Flame wars aren't exactly unique to CW, there is the potential for them to occur on near enough any forum anywhere, so I don't think that really needs to be considered at any great length.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The subforum idea could work IMO, just a pity that's what it has come to. If flame-wars threaten to spark up then posts can be moved. If it is the same posters in the discussions, having to have their posts moved then warn them. If they can't discuss their issues in the appropriate manner or forum then give 'em a ban.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Personally, I don't see how shifting that sort of discussion is really going to help things. I'd like to think that we can adjust the tone of the forum, rather than shift the problem away from "CC" to another area, where we have implied that a lesser standard of posting will be tolerated.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I know James and the moderators have been loathe to delete posts, and I can completely understand why, but it has worked on a forum I moderate to nip stupid posts - which lead to more stupid posts - in the bud. They can always be put back if - once moved to a "Deleted Posts" forum only visible to the moderators - several moderators think the post is OK. Only problem is the argument around censorship, but then again, this isn't a democracy or a 'free world' - this is James' site and forum to run as he wishes.
Wouldn't be censorship, though, would it? Publications have the prerogative to reject submitted content on grounds of lack of quality or incompatibility with organization among other things, even where there is free speech and democracy.

Censorship would be when no publication is allowed to carry this content and the author is not allowed to start his/her own publication to do so. Or even when site policy forbids for e.g praising a particular group like Indian seamers but not other ones.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm undecided on the concept of the "X vs Y" subforum. I don't know if that would work or not. One reason I could see it failing is that the people who currently engage in contentious posting might ignore the subforum and continue with their style of posting in the main threads of CC. However, I'm willing to give the concept a trail run and see if it works. I do agree that more aggressive moderation is needed though. I realize that it's hard for the moderators to keep track of every single thread, but you can tell from a thread's title if something is going to get nasty realy fast (anything having to do with India vs. Australia for example). It's funny, I realize that the atmosphere has turned poisonous, but it doesn't bother me that much. I simply ignore the threads that have taken a turn for the worst. And if there's a thread that I don't want to ignore because of a particular subject matter that interests me, I ignore the specific posts that are stat/quote wars. This approach works for me quite well.

Jarquis

I didn't think it was being thought of a "lesser standard of posting" as much as a style of posting that doesn't necessarily appeal to a large section of the forum.
Some stats-wars and mulit quotes are brilliantly well thought out pieces of analysis, it's just that a continuous debate that lasts 15 pages ruins some people's enjoyment of the forum.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally, I don't see how shifting that sort of discussion is really going to help things. I'd like to think that we can adjust the tone of the forum, rather than shift the problem away from "CC" to another area, where we have implied that a lesser standard of posting will be tolerated.
Make a good point tbh..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
We're not talking about a lesser standard, but a different topic which many people may not be interested in and where we find a lot of threads going. That's a separate issue from insults, etc.

andyc

Agree with Jack, no need for a subforum. The player analysis threads will come and go, just let people get bored of them IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
If the thread's on topic then let it go for 100 pages of mind numbing analysis, if you don't like it don't read it.

However, if it's not on topic mods should be doing something about it pretty quickly. There was a thread, which IMO is the worst thread on CC, asking if Sehwag was the best batsman in the world. Within 5 minutes it became a Sehwag vs Gilchrist argument. That shouldn't be on.

I think a big problem comes from the moderation selection a few months back, OT guys were chosen, when clearly CC moderators where needed. Andyc and Clapo are two of the best blokes on this forum but neither venture out too much into CC. A jeevan or a GI Joe should be appointed immediately IMO and the process should be more dynamic (ie dont wait till the place is capital wasteland before hiring new mods, keep applications open and when someone good comes along for CC, get him onboard.)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One suggestion that Agent TBY had was to separate out another subforum for player X vs. player Y discussions.
One seperate forum for Statistical Analysis, Spreadsheets, more than one smiley per post etc etc.

Or may be create a Subforum , once a thread becomes ubearable, move it to that subforum.

HeathDavisSpeed

Ban discussion of whether Ireland is legitimately part of England in a cricket perspective and thus should have one Grand Unified team for Ireland & England.

Please for the love of all that's good. Please!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i don't know if a sub-forum for stat wars will help with the atmosphere...it might end up sterilizing cricket chat a little too much and a discussion on cricket really needs detailed statistical analysis as well...

my two cents:

if a stat war threatens to erupt in a thread (as in 2-3 members begin a back and forth that lasts for say more than 2 pages and threatens to hijack the thread) and some of the other members express their frustration, create another thread, depending on how relevant the mods feel the discussion is, they can create a sticky or just a regular thread...

once that is done, firmly re-direct any such posts and posters to the new thread and let them drag it on as much as they want as long as they keep it civilized...

regular posters should take it upon themselves to report 1. posts resorting to personal insults 2. threads veering completely off-topic 3. deliberate spamming etc...this will probably help the mods keep things in line better...

the tendulkar vs (x, y, z) wasn't all bad, it did spawn the mangoes threads which were nice fun and helped take the edge off some of the heated exchanges in the other threads...:)

gwo

U19 Debutant
IMO the problem is that there are too many internet heroes on this forum.

They aren't anything special elsewhere so they play big bully on CC where they can't be wrong.

Oh, stricter moderation would definitely help too.

social

Agree with this

Tbh, I dont think that there is a whole lot wrong other than when there's nothing much happening in the real cricket world (e.g. whole Australian summer :laugh:).

At those times, some people seem to have a need to find other ways to amuse themselves - no biggie to me as you dont have to read it