• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The atmosphere in Cricket Chat - Suggestions & Discussion

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get the feeling that some of our best (and senior) posters are not very active on CC any more. Can anyone tell me why?

I did a quick check for the last one month for some and here are the number of posts

Boy Brumby : 60
Vic Orthodox : 52
Fredfertang : 52
Voltman : 34
Archie Mac : 24
JBMac : 1

A lot of them are either not posting at all or posting mostly on OT. Can anyone tell why? What's happened to Sean? I see the odd post by him but haven't seen him debating or discussing anything for even a modest time for ages. Surely the staying away from the discussions of some of our finest will affect the standards too.

Some of those doing staff duties seem to have less time to spend as regular posters it would appear or is it just an illusion :-)
They were all posting pretty regularly during the Ashes IIRC (bar Voltman and JBMac). Seems to suggest it has more to do with their interest in the cricket being played at the moment than it does with disillusionment with CC as a whole. A good, competitive test series between two sides that are well represented on CW would surely make things a bit more fun.

So in conclusion, I blame the BCCI. And unchecked immigration.

Burgey

Must say Corrin's post where he listed his thoughts was quality. For a Pom.. :ph34r:

Some good things will come from this I think. Whatever gets decided on by the mods, let's run with it and give it a chance.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I joined, I found OT to be very intimidating and not so friendly, but CC to be fine. Plenty of poor discussion but nothing intimidating or off-putting. It's the other way round now, if for whatever reason a poster went to OT first they'd find it much more welcoming, I reckon.
Don't know whether I fully agree with that. Off Topic hasn't been woefully off track, but there's still been some pretty poor threads/posts in there. I'd been thinking that some of the friendliness between senior members had been somewhat lacking over the last 2 or 3 months.

To be fair though, I'm hardly reading anything on here these days - movies thread, CW Tennis, Dev League, the occasional battle.

morgieb

I get the feeling that some of our best (and senior) posters are not very active on CC any more. Can anyone tell me why?

I did a quick check for the last one month for some and here are the number of posts

Boy Brumby : 60
Vic Orthodox : 52
Fredfertang : 52
Voltman : 34
Archie Mac : 24
JBMac : 1

A lot of them are either not posting at all or posting mostly on OT. Can anyone tell why? What's happened to Sean? I see the odd post by him but haven't seen him debating or discussing anything for even a modest time for ages. Surely the staying away from the discussions of some of our finest will affect the standards too.

Some of those doing staff duties seem to have less time to spend as regular posters it would appear or is it just an illusion :-)
FTR, JBMac's like 70-ish so there might be problems with his health, Brumby, Voltman and Jack seem to be more OT based posters, Fredfertang, well, it's the English winter and it might have to do with the lack of cricket England's played, and Archie's seemingly gone MIA these past few months.

So while it is a loss, there are reasons.

morgieb

More CC based mods could do the trick. Too many are MIA or generally only post in OT.

biased indian

International Coach
think only thing we have to do is to make this thread a sticky when the atmosphere goes down again :)

once this thread came up the general standard have gone up and every one is apologizing very quickly
a few example in this thread itself

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a shame this thread wasn't made years ago, in fact - it'd have been interesting to have seen what people said every time the 'phere took a turn for the worse, and see if there were any deliberate solutions employed on each occasion.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm sure they have better things to do then come on here and diss' the haterz :p
Thats what I thought. :p

I seem to have missed a lot of this CC crap. Haven't had net due to moving flat for a couple of weeks. Bar two or three posters running around being douches and every Aussie thread going to poos thanks to one or two posters in particular (especially the WI thread) I seem to have missed a decent chunk.

But then I camp out in the NZ threads and OT most of the time, and both have been fine. The Pakistan thread was awesome, as Athers said. There was plenty that could have gotten heated too, like that damn rain at Napier. Instead we all took the piss. Hoping the Aussie thread will be good as well. there's some rpetty epic Aussie posters on here.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Let's keep it simple...

CC lacks this concept: Give Respect and get respect....

Simply respect each other regardless of where one is from.

Not to mention the unimaginable lack of hospitality shown to new members...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or, perhaps, posters who've shown their true colours and who all the mods know are actually decent sorts get looked upon in a better light when they make an out-of-line comment than someone who's shown themselves to be a rank pratt.

And rightly so, as well.

Trouble is Richard when you pidgeonhole people the problem is you so its best not to do that. Thats why applying the rules equally is best.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:blink: You can't have a system where someone who commits a first offence after years of unblemished behaviour receives the same penalty as a recidivist .............. can you?

:blink: You can't have a system where someone who commits a first offence after years of unblemished behaviour receives the same penalty as a recidivist .............. can you?

Not talking about penalties fredfertang, if it is an offence regardless of who does it is an offence.

Both you and Richard seem to want to try and direct this towards me, I'm just talking in general.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trouble is Richard when you pidgeonhole people the problem is you so its best not to do that.
Indeed it is - which is why pigeonholing people isn't what anyone is suggesting, rather gaining an understanding and using that understanding to influence how you act.
Thats why applying the rules equally is best.
Applying the rules how will benefit the forum best is best, actually.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think the problem is the mods, they seem to have different rules depending on how well they get on with the poster.
I do agree that moderating standards are inconsistent (somewhat understandably at times) but its unfair to impute bias based on the 'relationship' of a poster with a moderator. I am not saying this cant happen but its not easy for the posters to make a judgement call on this. If it is too blatant, it can be brought to the notice of senior people at CW (right at the very top if you wish) and you can be sure that it will receive due consideration.

It can't be anyone's case that the owners of CW (or even the senior members for that matter) wish anything but the highest standards at CW be it in posting, moderating or administration.

But when making a complaint, the members raising the issue need to remember that a complaint raised in a moderate and considered language sounds much better than one where the member raves and rants which gives the whole issue an emotional slant that always gives the impression of being lower on the objectivity scales.

The fact that this thread is receiving so much attention from all concerned is something that should convince members about the sincerity of the management to do the right thing but we cant all decide that the right is just what each of us thinks individually. There are shades of grey in all matters. Lets discuss this matter and discuss it threadbare in the spirit in which it has been done , mostly, so far and we will surely emerge the better for it.

Coming to moderation, it is true that some times moderators can be harsh. One does come across such instances once in a while. I did too a couple of days ago but I have no reason to believe that the moderator concerned was doing anything but his best of the job as he understood it. I should have pointed it out, offline, to someone, say James, so that the moderator could be counseled personally which is often the best way to do it.

I think it may not be a bad idea for there to be a group in CW which could have some senior moderators on it as well as some non-moderating members that the management may considered suitable for doing an objective assessment. This group could discuss problematic cases on a periodic basis offline and then maybe send a private message to the poster/s concerned asking them to moderate their language, style, whatever. They could then assess the issue again after a gap and if it is observed that the matter hasn't been addressed, stricter action could be taken.

I do not know how exactly things are done today. It is possible that it is on similar lines but I think having some non-moderator members involved might not be a bad idea.

Last edited: