• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No English batsmen to cross 5000 ODI runs?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prior is a bit different from Vaughan in that he actually can play unconventionally when he tries to, even though conventional suits him best. Prior at least there's some excuse for someone who thought he could be a good OD batsman - but there's simply ample evidence to show that he isn't, and at the age of 26 it's exceptionally unlikely he ever will be.

Vaughan the reasons for his OD inadequacies were plain for all to see if they just looked at him batting (in either a FC or OD game) instead of looking at a piece of paper which gave his strike-rate in a Test match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wouldn't be surprised. No, Vaughan never retired from ODIs (well, not until 2009 I suppose), he did an Alec Stewart and said "I'm still available if you want me, but I won't be around for the next World Cup and thus I understand if you don't want to pick me". Only Stewart went a bit further and said "I don't think you should pick me because I think you should be looking to the next Cup, but if you want to do otherwise I'll play".

"Vaughan has shown in a Test match that he can play aggressively so he should be able to succeed in ODIs" was a common theme all career. As I said, it just shows misunderstanding of how different Tests and ODIs are.
Thing was in that innings, he scored 48* off 51 balls (just checked on cricinfo), but he wasn't batting aggressively, the West Indies were bowling absolute rubbish. Even a stonewaller like a Boycott would score quickly if you fed him hittable rubbish.

L Trumper

State Regular
in these day no English player is playing good England team need good players
In ODIs, Collingwood is probably one of the best players around (he revitalized his style of play last year). In Stuart, Anderson england also has two very good odi bowlers. They do have good players, apart form 6-1 drubbing against aussies they played reasonably well in last year.