View Poll Results: Who is the worst commentator?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ian Healy

16 36.36%
  • Sunil Gavaskar

18 40.91%
  • Mangos

10 22.73%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunil Gavaskar v Ian Healy

Sunil Gavaskar v Ian Healy

Which one of these two is the worst commentator? Ian Healy is a country hick, but listening to Gavasakar last night just showed how terrible he is. If he wasn't a great player, then I doubt he would even still have a job.

I'm probably going for Gavaskar.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Healy's fanboyism is horrible, mind you Sunny's isn't much better.

Gavaskar seems to hate a lot - think it's short man's syndrome tbh. Hard to separate them tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Banned
    To quote myself from another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Healy would be a better option to commentate with Gavaskar. I wish they strangle each other till boht break their voice chords and the world of cricket would be better for it.
    I wish to see both of them in action in a tight ODI.

As for the poll, while Gavaskar sometimes is as unbearable as a donkey's fart, he is not as "consistent" as Ian "verbal diarrohea" Healy as far as output goes. Gavaskar irritates Saffers, Aussies and the English while Healy irritates just about anything that walks, talks but is not Aussie.

Healy is a fanboy, while gavaskar is a man to find out conspiracies. But healy got lot better with in a year. While sunny stayed the same for an almost a decade. So I think healy has lot of catch up to do to be as worse as sunny.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Gavaskar can actually offer some interesting insights. Believe it or not, so actually can Healy - provided the subject is very narrow, ie, wicketkeeping technique.

Gavaskar isn't someone I regard as a terrible commentator, merely a below-average one; where Gavaskar is someone I regard as terrible is in his propensity to express ridiculous, needless, inflammatory opinions. Healy is just a poor commentator, full-stop. Gavaskar generally has a reasonable amount of time where he's, as I say, perfectly ordinary - most of his ridiculously inflammatory comments tend to come not in commentary but in penned or dictated pieces. Healy says the odd utterly stupid inflammatory thing on commentary too (none worse than Pinkbatgripgate '08) but mostly he just comes accross as a relatively uninformed fanboy.

They can both be terrible, but for utterly different reasons, and the amount of relation to commentary is not coherant between the two. As commentators, I'd have Gavaskar a fair way ahead; as far as ability to comment on the game of cricket regardless of the medium, I'd have both in the cricket gutter.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Yeah you are right. My dislike for sunny as a commentator grown because of his inflammatory columns rather than his commentary. He does offer some insight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Gavaskar can actually offer some interesting insights. Believe it or not, so actually can Healy - provided the subject is very narrow, ie, wicketkeeping technique.

Gavaskar isn't someone I regard as a terrible commentator, merely a below-average one; where Gavaskar is someone I regard as terrible is in his propensity to express ridiculous, needless, inflammatory opinions. Healy is just a poor commentator, full-stop. Gavaskar generally has a reasonable amount of time where he's, as I say, perfectly ordinary - most of his ridiculously inflammatory comments tend to come not in commentary but in penned or dictated pieces. Healy says the odd utterly stupid inflammatory thing on commentary too (none worse than Pinkbatgripgate '08) but mostly he just comes accross as a relatively uninformed fanboy.

They can both be terrible, but for utterly different reasons, and the amount of relation to commentary is not coherant between the two. As commentators, I'd have Gavaskar a fair way ahead; as far as ability to comment on the game of cricket regardless of the medium, I'd have both in the cricket gutter.
    I agree with this. Gavaskar is intelligent but deliberately chooses to "troll". Healy is mostly an "idiot" and his "trolling" happens much without him really understanding that he is.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Was it Healy who played a sad violin when Glenn McGrath talked about his dead wife? If so, him.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Thankfully, I watch Sky so I have little experience with Healy or Sunny, but what little I have - I don't want. Sunny does offer some insight, but is such a tool for so much of the time, especially in his columns, that I can't listen to him at all.

So overall, Gavaskar is worse for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    Was it Healy who played a sad violin when Glenn McGrath talked about his dead wife? If so, him.
    If that's true, he goes to the top of the list for biggest ****ing tools of all time. That's just disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Might've been, and I think that might've been related to Pinkbatgripgate - pink bat grips after all are the brainchild of the Jane McGrath Foundation, UIMM. Or at worst they're related to the same thing that the Jane McGrath Foundation is set-up to fight - breast-cancer.

BTW one of the first articles I read offering critique of Gavaskar's post-retirement comments on the game can be found here - I rated it fine musings at the time and still do now, 8 years later.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    If that's true, he goes to the top of the list for biggest ****ing tools of all time. That's just disgusting.
    I googled it, and it was when Andrew Symonds was talking about the brest cancer charity. Still pretty awful though tbh.

Richie Benaud<<<<<<Sunny<<<<Healy
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 5 years and counting!

I googled it, and it was when Andrew Symonds was talking about the brest cancer charity. Still pretty awful though tbh.
    Yeah, that was Pinkbatgripgate.

Banned
    I dont think I have ever known a person filled with so much hatred as Gavaskar. Healy is just plain ole try hard dimwit,

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Sachin Tendulkar.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information