• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil Gavaskar v Ian Healy

Who is the worst commentator?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
Playing an air fiddle and making the "neer-neer-neer" noise when someone relates something supposedly sad.
Worst part about this was the fact that you knew if he wasn't going to get fired for that there was no way he'd be fired for anything.

R_D

International Debutant
Can't decide... they are just bad as each other...

Agree with people.... Ian Healy towards the end of summer seemed to have improved a little from previous seasons.

Personally Find Arun Lal and ShivaKrishan (whatever his name) to be the most ****ing annoying commentators around....... Add Darren Cullinan with them and you have one ****ed up commentary box.

Sir Alex

Banned
Can't decide... they are just bad as each other...

Agree with people.... Ian Healy towards the end of summer seemed to have improved a little from previous seasons.

Personally Find Arun Lal and ShivaKrishan (whatever his name) to be the most ****ing annoying commentators around....... Add Darren Cullinan with them and you have one ****ed up commentary box.
100% I agree. My god, I thought Arun Lal couldn't go any worse, but he just plumbed newer depths in the last game. He neither has the expertise to talk on intricate things and offer fresh insights (whcih Sunny has, and even Sivaramakrishnan sometimes does) nor has the command (rather the ability to speak a proper complete sentence without inordinate number of eer...emmm...s and/or grammatical mistakes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Each country has one.

Ian Healy
Sunil Gavaskar
Ian Smith
Darryl Cullinan

Don't really know if England have a cheerleader, the commentators prefer to have a go at them if anything lol.
Ian Smith is miles ahead of the other three as a commentator. He tends to be very cheerleader-ish when he's on Nine but that's not really reflected elsewhere, and I've also heard him commentate plenty when NZ aren't involved and he's top-shelf.

Cullinan and Healy are just poor commentators; Gavaskar is just a not-that-good one (though as I say, he has his moments) and pales greatly in comparison to the many good-quality commentators from India like Ravi Shastri, Harsha Bhogle etc.

slowfinger

International Debutant
OMG Bumble, what a character, I always watch a dull match made really interesting by Bumble, what a guy!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Danny Morrison is just atrocious and the guy they bring in for the Twenty20s down under , James Brayshaw, is beyond dire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was expecting you to be criticising the posts that downed Arun Lal TBH. Disappointed.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I have heard that Maninder Singh speaks for the blind, if that makes any sense (i.e - reading stuff easily available to the viewer).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No commentator is worse than Mark Taylor. The guy spends his whole stint laughing at his own lame jokes, which are usually the same old digs at guys he used to play with. He makes Mark Nicholas look like the god of all commentators which is an extremely hard thing to do.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sunny for me, quite easily. Most of what he says just screams "it's them vs us" and he just stokes the fires the way he nuances his arguments.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Worst part about this was the fact that you knew if he wasn't going to get fired for that there was no way he'd be fired for anything.
Tony Greig never got fired for his alleged 'mail order bride' comment during a one day match at North Sydney Oval (for those playing at home, some years ago during a Aussie one day domestic match at North Sydney Oval, Greig, in between overs, observed a wedding taking place, where a guy was marrying his wife who was Asian, and he said off air, even though it got picked up on the mikes, he wondered if she was a 'mail order'), which proves that the commentary team is just one big mate's club.

But if Voltman is correct, then Greig has a life time contract after he managed to bring so many cricketers to WSC.

pasag

RTDAS
Tony Greig never got fired for his alleged 'mail order bride' comment during a one day match at North Sydney Oval (for those playing at home, some years ago during a Aussie one day domestic match at North Sydney Oval, Greig, in between overs, observed a wedding taking place, where a guy was marrying his wife who was Asian, and he said off air, even though it got picked up on the mikes, he wondered if she was a 'mail order'), which proves that the commentary team is just one big mate's club.

But if Voltman is correct, then Greig has a life time contract after he managed to bring so many cricketers to WSC.
With Packer gone though I reckon Greig would have been canned had that happened today based on rumours of a couple years back that they were looking to lighten the comm box as it had become too overcrowded.

Craig

World Traveller
With Packer gone though I reckon Greig would have been canned had that happened today based on rumours of a couple years back that they were looking to lighten the comm box as it had become too overcrowded.
The way somebody will get the arse if they make a Dean Jones type comment about Amla.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seemed they were trying to heavy it up when whoever it was that succeeded Packer decided to go from two comms per stint to three.

When exactly was this incident BTW? Don't remember it at all, and it'd have been even more stupid than "I intend to make them grovel" and frankly amazing that 20-odd years on he didn't learn his lesson.

pasag

RTDAS
Seemed they were trying to heavy it up when whoever it was that succeeded Packer decided to go from two comms per stint to three.

When exactly was this incident BTW? Don't remember it at all, and it'd have been even more stupid than "I intend to make them grovel" and frankly amazing that 20-odd years on he didn't learn his lesson.
From wikipedia:

In 1999 Greig was involved in a controversy where, in a match at the North Sydney Oval, the camera zoomed onto a couple in a marriage ceremony at a nearby church. Greig made a remark implying that the woman shown was a mail order bride: "Do you think she’s been flown in?". [1] The remark was made "off microphone and not intended for broadcast".

Andre

International Regular
Danny Morrison is just atrocious and the guy they bring in for the Twenty20s down under , James Brayshaw, is beyond dire.
I actually find Brayshaw quite funny to be honest - he kind of suits T20 cause he's got a bit of character.

I reckon the worst commentator going around though is hands down Sanjay Manjrekar. Although not a fan of Robin Jackman and Ranjit Fernando either.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm indifferent to Shane Warne as a commentator, I mean he is worth listening to all day when it comes to leg spin, or him talking about spin in general, as obviously he knows a thing or two about the art, but apart from that, I can't stand him.

If there is any sense left in Ch 9, they should get somebody like Boycott out for the Ashes. He is a classic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually find Brayshaw quite funny to be honest - he kind of suits T20 cause he's got a bit of character.

I reckon the worst commentator going around though is hands down Sanjay Manjrekar. Although not a fan of Robin Jackman and Ranjit Fernando either.
Yeah Sanjrekar is my most hated. Just despise his commentary.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I do not know enough about Healy to rate him but one has heard more from Gavaskar than probably any other commentator.

I find Gavaskar not bad but terribly disappointing. Inspite of being such a great cricketer and so technically proficient he is the one from who you are least likely to here an insightful comment. He says things that are not meant for an educated and slightly knowledgeable cricket audience but probably for a Martian watching cricket for the first time. And not just that he continues giving the same lessons and saying the same things which he aid to his first Martian twenty years ago.

Andre

International Regular
Yeah Sanjrekar is my most hated. Just despise his commentary.
Am I the only one who feels completely and utterly patronised every time he commentates? I can understand him explaining elements of the game for non-followers of cricket, but he has a certain way of making the audience feel really really stupid when he commentates.