• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ team for Indian tour

anzac

International Debutant
with Bond out, Astle still doubtful & Cairns in limbo, what are your ideas for a possible squad for the Indian Tour?

With the recent changes to the NZ coach, management & selector panel etc, do we still look at the SL tour squad as the basis for the Indian tour squad, or could we see some changes, especially as NZ seem unlikely to loose 3rd place ranking based on results so far ENG v RSA, and would still retain 3rd spot if beaten in India.

For my money the main considerations are:
* difficulty of tours to sub-continent & not just regarding the cricket;
* no "passengers" in squad re form, fitness or roles!

:)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I assume it's a 16-man squad?

Stephen Fleming *
Robbie Hart +
Mark Richardson
Tim McIntosh
Matthew Sinclair
Craig McMillan - he has to be there for some experience
Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Darryl Tuffey
Ian Butler
Daniel Vettori
Chris Harris - see McMillan
Andre Adams - should play more Tests

The last 3 spots are a tossup or two.

The candidates in my mind:

Richard Jones - he was in the selectors' minds....
Lou Vincent - backup keeper?
Tama Canning - top wicket-taker last season and can bat a bit as well.
Matt Walker - he looks to have good stats and did well last season.
Michael Mason - see Jones

There are likely a few others who I am missing out.

Andre

International Regular
Personally, I'd be very suprised if McIntosh made it, but also if Wiseman didn't - I think he is a shoe-in.

Bruce Martin may come under heavy consideration.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
it'll be the same team that went to Sri Lanka

A) because they they didn't really do anything wrong. Sri Lanka is a tough place to win a series & they managed to draw comfortably.

B) its unlikely they'll throw someone like Tim McIntosh into the fire of India. If they were considering him then they would have given him a practice run in Sri Lanka.

So given that, here's the probable 16 man test squad:

Fleming
Astle
McMillan
Horne
Jones
Richardson
Vettori
Tuffey
Styris
Oram
Butler
Hart
Wiseman
Sinclair
Vincent
Mason / Adams

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well thats an unknown factor because spinners were hardly used last season domestically.

If he is weak against spin then making his debut in India would definately not be a good idea.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
he is very tall, pretty much in the same mold as Fleming so he may be ok at playing spin because he can get a big stride down the wicket.

Craig

World Traveller
Liam why do you want Adams to play more Tests? Is it because he has a West Indian background and he probably would be in the West Indies Test and ODI if he werent picked for NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig thats a little silly.

In his only test, Adams won NZ the 3rd test against England last year with his bowling. He's able to create something out of nothing & if he can bounce back from his misfortune at the World Cup then he'll be a great test player for NZ.

Craig

World Traveller
I have firm memories of seeing pictures of Adams knocking James Foster's helmet off, so he must have some pace in him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its amazing how Adams can generate so much pace from his short run up, and even at that he doesn't steam in..he just jogs up really and his action generates the pace.

The thing is, that at 145 k's i've seen him be deadly accurate in Auckland FC & OD matches. I recall in one OD match for Auckland in a final over the opposition needed 8 runs and he bowled 6 consecutive balls on the stumps at some phemonenal speeds to which he also took 3 wickets.

anzac

International Debutant
I would like to see the new coach etc show some initiative & in particular a "no passengers" policy re form, fitness & role. If Braces has strong ideas on his requirements from the team he is almost obliged to start as he means to continue.

NZ are unlikely to pull off a series win in the sub continent without a full strength team playing at their best. A drawn series will be hard enough to achieve if NZ are required to win a Test to do so. Having said that I am hopeful for some changes to the squad as it appears unlikely that a series loss would change our standing in the Test rankings.

At this stage it would appear that Bond is out, Astle starting light training but would be unlikely to bowl, Cairns is still struggling, McMillan & Sinclair yet to show any improvement in form. Vettori has a hand injury & Macca has been recalled from his English season re an ankle injury.

To this extent I have big question marks re Cairns, McMillan, Sinclair, Adams, Harris & Astle. IMO it is the right scenario for new blood to give some options for more crucial series later, and to give these senior players a chance to fully recover & regain form.

I believe Vincent & Horne will make the squad - Horne did as well as anyone in SL, and Vincent is the designated backup 'keeper & his problems IMO have been as a result of being mucked around re his roles in the Test & ODI sides. Should the likes of Astle, McMillan & Sinclair not make the squad then it would be even more likely these 2 would get the nod.

Wiseman is likely to get the 2nd spin berth with Vettori, and I think Mason & Butler will cover Bond's spot.

I would like to see some variety in the bowling, particularly as we are likely to need at least 5 bowlers in the Tests (4 main & at least 2 backup) & this is where Astle will be missed as much as for his batting, as IMO you need someone to take the pace off the ball. Above all else they will need to have control over their line & length, which is my main concern re Adams.

If you are going to introduce new batsmen, particularly when it is difficult to judge recent form v spin, then the top order is the better area as they face most of the opening seam attack, whereas the middle & lower order are more likely to come to the crease facing spin.

I'm also a fan of innovation to suit the circumstances such as changes to the batting order in the 2nd innings. Eg Horne has international experience v spin & could be promoted to opener in the 2nd innings, should a newbie struggle v spin in the first.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Horne did nothing in S.L, he played in 4 innings and averaged 17 or something. I think only Matthew Sinclair did worse.

Im hoping John Bracewell will address these inconsistent selections where players like Horne come & go..either they pick him consistently or they leave him out.

Craig

World Traveller
I believe that this will be Horne's last chance. For the last couple of years he scores stacks of runs for Auckland and underachieves lately for New Zealand. If he doesnt start preforming, well he might just kiss his Test career good bye.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I agree with Horne is past his best now. But there won't be many changes because players like horne, sinclair, and vincent all have contracts now, as part of the contracted group.

Its also difficult to bring in too many changes because a lot of these players have had no or little cricket.

But players like richard jones should be picked if only for consistency. He hasn't played a tests yet.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It really annoys me about Sinclair.

Here NZ have a player who could be extremely good at international cricket yet he lets himself with a poor attitude & refuses to realise that he needs to fix his technique.

If someone can fix him then he'll be a shoe-in for the #3 test spot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Liam why do you want Adams to play more Tests? Is it because he has a West Indian background and he probably would be in the West Indies Test and ODI if he werent picked for NZ.
At what point in time did I even remotely suggest that?? With younsters like Daren Powell, Jerome Taylor, Tino Best, Fidel Edwards, Ravi Rampaul etc. Why would we automatically pick Adams?

We also have Dillon and Drakes there.