• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ team for Indian tour

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Despite having both a mother & father from the W.I. Adams was born in NZ & considering that he's lived in NZ till his mid 20's I don't think he was ever contemplating playing cricket for the West Indies, unless maybe he was offered a contract by them or something to play first class cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
At what point in time did I even remotely suggest that?? With younsters like Daren Powell, Jerome Taylor, Tino Best, Fidel Edwards, Ravi Rampaul etc. Why would we automatically pick Adams?

We also have Dillon and Drakes there.
By Zues pal you take things so bloody seriously. Of course you didnt suggest it, I mentioned it. Idiot.

If Tino Best works on his action and his run-up then he will be a good bowler at Test cricket, I dont know about Ravi Rampaul as I have never heard of him and i'm told Daren Powell is very accurate.

anzac

International Debutant
Darrin said:
I agree with Horne is past his best now. But there won't be many changes because players like horne, sinclair, and vincent all have contracts now, as part of the contracted group.

Its also difficult to bring in too many changes because a lot of these players have had no or little cricket.

But players like richard jones should be picked if only for consistency. He hasn't played a tests yet.
don't get me wrong - I'm not particularly a fan of Horne's selection on the SL tour in the first place as I also believe that he, like others in the squad, has had ample opportunity to produce the results.

I think the continued selection of this group of players is an indication of the conservatism of past selection panels re the introduction of new batsmen into the top & middle orders - consequently they fall back upon a 'known quantity' who has produced in the past, in the hope that they will find some consistency.

I think I made the comment at the time of the SL tour that I see Horne as a stop gap selection while they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do. I think he will again fit this role in India as much because of his experience, if the likes of Sinclair, McMillan & Astle are missing.

IMO the contracts are a reflection that these players are seen as being the core international group based upon the status quo. This should not mean that there is no room for other players outside those contracted to break into the squads or teams, and to then go on and cement either a place or a later contract if they are up to it.

Just because you have a contract should not mean automatic squad selection if your game / fitness is not up to the requirements.

so far as the little or no cricket goes many of these players are playing off season cricket overseas, and should have had enough time to show the coach & selectors if they have done anything to address their end of season deficiencies. If they have and are showing progress & form - select them, if not then time to look elsewhere at least in the short term.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Lets get thing straight. The current batch of WI bowlers are not up to the class needed. It will be a few years till we get back to the west indes of old. the batsmen seem to be coming through, but aside from that, I can't see a great side for many a year.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
By Zues pal you take things so bloody seriously. Of course you didnt suggest it, I mentioned it. Idiot.
To this point, the thought has not even crossed my mind to resort to name-calling and even if it did, I have more maturity than to act on it.
If Tino Best works on his action and his run-up then he will be a good bowler at Test cricket, I dont know about Ravi Rampaul as I have never heard of him and i'm told Daren Powell is very accurate.
I agree on Best and Powell. Ravi Rampaul took 7/26 (I believe) in the Under-19 West Indies Championship yesterday. He has had success at all levels at this point.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr. Ponting said:
Lets get thing straight. The current batch of WI bowlers are not up to the class needed. It will be a few years till we get back to the west indes of old. the batsmen seem to be coming through, but aside from that, I can't see a great side for many a year.
Considering that most of them haven't played a combined 10 Tests, that's a fine judgement. :rolleyes: Yet Michael Clarke is the next Ponting...typical.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But how can you dismiss these young bowlers (most of whom you've never even seen) and then say that Clarke has got what it takes (even though he's played only a handful of internationals and, more importantly, no Tests)?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I presume its judged on the level of competition at domestic level.

Many people believe the Australian domestic competition is the best so if you're scoring runs or taking wickets then you've got some ability whereas I guess because the West Indies team has not been at its best in recent times alot of ppl believe that so what if a player is taking 7/26, the standard in the West Indies is hopeless.

I don't personally believe in that opinion though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm not hailing Ravi Rampaul as a phenom because of his stats at the Under-19 level (ie 7/26), although they have been quite specacular, but I have actually seen him bowl. He's quick and pretty accurate. He can also bat a bit.

Craig

World Traveller
Ok Ravi Rampaul, you answered my question on what he bowls and he passes my test of being quick and accurate. Does he swing the ball as well, because if he can, he will be a good bowler and if he can have a good seam position. Is he left or right handed in which he bowls?

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In an ideal world anzac that is the way it would operate. But it is not reality. Why pick a player if you don't want to use him, and you consider others better options, but aren't on the contracted lot? It does not make sense?

Can i just say that the current selectors that have just been picked by New zealand cricket, they will replicate the mistakes of the previous panel. Why, you say? There is no former test batsmen on the panel. where are the fomer batsmen who have played for nz? For example, the previous panel picked Lou vincent in every viable position and role in both tests and odi's. The just concluded SL series we effectively had only two, batsmen of conseqence(richardson, Fleming). IMO they will replicate the mistakes with regards batsmen because they havn't got a clue.

But, we are a very good bowling and fielding side. This happens to be the strength of the former, and current panel.

Thanks

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Ok Ravi Rampaul, you answered my question on what he bowls and he passes my test of being quick and accurate. Does he swing the ball as well, because if he can, he will be a good bowler and if he can have a good seam position. Is he left or right handed in which he bowls?
I have seen him swing it on a few occasions, but he still has a little bit of developing to do. He bats left-handed and bowls right-handed. I will update you on his progress in the Red Stripe Bowl which will start in October, I believe.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree.

Alot of ppl call for Martin Crowe to be a selector, but you can tell from his commentating that he's likely to make some strange selections himself.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any decent batsmen during the past that would be excellent to comment on batsmen in NZ & know who to select at international level.

Really Crowe is the only one but at times I think he's got a different agenda to everyone else.

anzac

International Debutant
Darrin said:
In an ideal world anzac that is the way it would operate. But it is not reality. Why pick a player if you don't want to use him, and you consider others better options, but aren't on the contracted lot? It does not make sense?

it does if the contracted players are injured or out of form and replacements are needed in the short term at least - the contracts are shared between the different roles (batting, bowling, 'keeper, Test & ODI players), so there will be times when you have to look 'outside the fold' so to speak.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
I agree.

Alot of ppl call for Martin Crowe to be a selector, but you can tell from his commentating that he's likely to make some strange selections himself.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any decent batsmen during the past that would be excellent to comment on batsmen in NZ & know who to select at international level.

Really Crowe is the only one but at times I think he's got a different agenda to everyone else.

what about Howarth or Coney?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well theres no chance that Geoff Howarth will ever become involved again after his controversial stint as coach a few years back.

He just didn't get along with the players & im sure NZ cricket would be very concerned about that if he was ever appointed to whatever role he applied for.

As for Coney, well yeah he does seem to know a bit, but as far as I know he doesn't have personal problems with the players like Crowe & Howarth have had so maybe he's an option..he would definately not be my first pick though.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I have seen him swing it on a few occasions, but he still has a little bit of developing to do. He bats left-handed and bowls right-handed. I will update you on his progress in the Red Stripe Bowl which will start in October, I believe.
Well if I were in charge of T&TCB (or whatever they are called) and the WICB I would have him working with Holding, Garner, Roberts, Walsh, Ambrose, Croft if he is not working with a fast bowling coach as the names I have listed are some of the finest bowlers the West Indies has produced.