• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards vs. Tendulkar -Tests

Richards vs Tendulkar -Test

• Total voters

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The last three years has made me switch to Sachin. The longevity of the man has to be taken into account, has done some of his greatest innings after, I'd admit, I thought he was finished, truly incredible. Two magnificent players though, the two best batsmen I've seen.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

JBH001

International Regular
I see it more as desperation from SRT fans to prove something that cant be proven. Viv is a great player and most WI supporters dont feel the need to argue the point so if you say Ponting/SRT is better they will just say meh. same with Australians and Ponting or SA's and Kallis, its not really that important to them. Indian supporters seem to feel it is hugely important to tell everyone that SRT is better than Ponting/Viv. If you love SRT that much then good and there is nothing wrong with that becuase he is a great player. But it is sickening and very much like listening to thousands of Mark Nicholas all at once. FFS just believe he is better than everyone and stop with the humping of his leg.
Sort of agree, tbh. Dont like this sudden spate of Tendulkar jizz splattering all over CC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could merge this thread with the previous one (started by yours truly) a couple of years back, and delete the posts which were taking the piss out of the pointlessness.

Or, given that those posts amount to about the entire thread, could just delete the whole thread.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Am not a fan of merging threads with old incarnations of the same discussion tbf, especially when it inolves a current player. I don't see any need for it. For me a merge is only really necessary when the threads are all going on at once. Alas, tis not my decision

Dissector

International Debutant
Sachin has about 6/7 threads on this page comparing him to everyone from Ponting,lara,Richards IN ODI'S,Richards in tests.There is also somewhat of discussions in threads about comparison from Everyone from the DON to Kevin Pietersen and Virendra Sehwag.

The fact that Sachin has now become a benchmark for all such debates ,is a telling fact in itself.
Tbh I am getting rather bored of all the Tendulkar threads.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am not a fan of merging threads with old incarnations of the same discussion tbf, especially when it inolves a current player. I don't see any need for it. For me a merge is only really necessary when the threads are all going on at once. Alas, tis not my decision
What's the point in creating new threads to discuss the exact same thing when you can dig an old one?

Personally I don't see one.

You can sometimes argue that if it's a case of current-player-vs-past-player and poll involved then it's interesting to see how things have changed (that was true when I deliberately made a duplicate - in fact triplicate - of the Botham-Flintoff thread a couple of years ago), but I don't feel that applies here. I think this is just another example of OTT reaction to an isolated event. And isolated events which lead to 50 different threads all inspired by the same thing has long been something that gets on my nerves.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well considering my vote has changed giving Tendulkar's recent form, surely a new thread is a perfectly reasonable thuing. Obviously if your not likely to change your views through weight of facts you may just wish the same threads to carry on ad finitum, then you could just make the same arguments over and over again. What joy.....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What's the point in creating new threads to discuss the exact same thing when you can dig an old one?

Personally I don't see one.

You can sometimes argue that if it's a case of current-player-vs-past-player and poll involved then it's interesting to see how things have changed (that was true when I deliberately made a duplicate - in fact triplicate - of the Botham-Flintoff thread a couple of years ago), but I don't feel that applies here. I think this is just another example of OTT reaction to an isolated event. And isolated events which lead to 50 different threads all inspired by the same thing has long been something that gets on my nerves.
Because they were completely different discussions, and people's views may have changed, as grecian said

Agree 100% on the last sentence though, but when KP scores a double ton against Bangladesh, I'll be having my revenge by declaring him the best batsman in world cricket. And then when Luke Wright does the same in the second Test, yep, he'll be the world's best batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because they were completely different discussions, and people's views may have changed, as grecian said
If anything that makes it even more interesting to have all the stuff in the same thread. It's often interesting to compare what people thought 2, 5, even 7 years ago and what they might think now.

Only when polls are involved can there be the remotest of justifications for new threads, IMO. Even there, a poll is hardly a sacred entity.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Agree 100% on the last sentence though, but when KP scores a double ton against Bangladesh, I'll be having my revenge by declaring him the best batsman in world cricket. And then when Luke Wright does the same in the second Test, yep, he'll be the world's best batsman.
:laugh:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In test matches, Tendulkar for me. As brilliant as Richard's could be, he never placed enough value on his wicket to be consistently as valuable a test player as Sachin's been.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In test matches, Tendulkar for me. As brilliant as Richard's could be, he never placed enough value on his wicket to be consistently as valuable a test player as Sachin's been.
And yet before his decline towards the end of his career he was averaging like Tendulkar with a SR of almost 70. I think people don't understand just how good he was. And playing the way he did he changed many more games than if he were to have batted much slower/less aggressively and scored 1-2 runs more per inning. Also unlike Tendulkar he didn't get to play minnows to inflate his average.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Tendulkar by a huge margin? What a joke.
Keep laughing mate.

Tendukar eliminated to a big degree risk without overtly affecting his SR of average. Richards destructive he was also was prone to dying by that sword.

Last edited: