• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the world's first class competitions in order

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd love to know where in the country sports such as track and field and golf are more popular (and tennis for 50 weeks out of the year) - obviously rugby league is only more popular in a very small area of the country (and Union to a degree I would say) - of those named sports there's only one that can truly say to be more popular than Cricket, and it's the one that's the most popular globally as well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
although actually the areas where League is the most popular are also some of the areas where cricket is most popular.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
although actually the areas where League is the most popular are also some of the areas where cricket is most popular.
Union too, weirdly enough. A lot of the union hotbeds (South West with Bath, Gloucester & Bristol and the East Midlands with Northampton and Leicester) also have county teams.

Maybe some correlation between rugby and cricket being popular?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Union too, weirdly enough. A lot of the union hotbeds (South West with Bath, Gloucester & Bristol and the East Midlands with Northampton and Leicester) also have county teams.

Maybe some correlation between rugby and cricket being popular?
Probably to do with games you got at school - rugby in the winter, cricket in the summer.

Certainly most of the private schools up here (English equivelant, weirdly, is Public School), that I know of anyway, have that as their curriculum.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I did wonder if that would be the case, but since I don't actually know I decided I wasn't going to proclaim something as being true...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
if thats a true reflection of where cricket stands throughout the UK in some places as high as football and in other parts struggles to compete against squash. then it would seem to me be a better vehicle if the county teams where reduced down fron 18. to nearlly half, why spread quailty thin.
There is still easily enough participation in the UK to demand 18 teams, same way there has been for decades (it was 17 for a long time before it became 18 relatively recently).