• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards v Tendulkar - ODIs

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't know, possibly. He performed when it mattered in two finals and is a big part why we've won 3 world cups.

And again, you missed the point: his team was more than good enough to get to finals, he just hasn't won one. Therefore he wasn't that unlucky WRT his country of birth.
So Lehmann>Tendulkar because he has won a world cup. Winning a world cup logic is pretty off the mark.

How did you come up with that number?
It is how I picture it. I tend to go more by gut feelings than purely stats. I was putting it in stat terms.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Sachin's records have been accumulated over 442 games. Maintaining such a sky high standard over such a long period tips it in his favour for me.

Maximus0723

State Regular
lol no way Beven. He shouldn't even be in the discussion. Wasn't he the last one to added to all time aussie team?

I go with Sir Viv.
Sir Viv better SR, bowlers. Sachin bigger nation, longetivity, opener.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So Lehmann>Tendulkar because he has won a world cup. Winning a world cup logic is pretty off the mark.
Are you purposely trying to not get the point?

It is how I picture it. I tend to go more by gut feelings than purely stats. I was putting it in stat terms.
I know, I remember your 'gut-feeling' in another thread.

You miss the point completely, Ikki.
Do explain.

You said that the two eras were different and mentioned many reasons why. Yes, which makes Viv's numbers for his era even more impressive then than it would now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Are you purposely trying to not get the point?
No. Please explain why winning the ODI world cup is so crucial in a team sport compared to you having been Man of the Series in a WC and play above your general level over all in world cups.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No. Please explain why winning the ODI world cup is so crucial in a team sport compared to you having been Man of the Series in a WC and play above your general level over all in world cups.
Um, it was said that Tendulkar has done things Bevan hasn't and the obvious reply to that gem was that Tendulkar never won a world cup.

It was then insinuated that India were too weak for him to have won one, which is far from the truth. It didn't happen because they got shellacked in the final. He did have a shot, he did have a chance, and that's all there is to it really.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India had 2 strong chances of winning the world cup.

2003 - Ganguly lost the toss, lost the match. He should never have let the inexperienced bowlers to the slaughter. They were bound to be erratic like they were first up, taking no credit away from Australia. Tendulkar couldn't do much after Australia chased down 350.

1996 - India had a strong side in this tournament and home advantage. They had Sri Lanka in tatters too in the semi. But then Vaas and the other lower order players hung on and Sri Lanka played like a champion team. India lost (forfeited, sad memories as a kid of 15-16) to one of the greatest ODI teams of all time in that semi and there is no shame in losing to them.

Maximus0723

State Regular
India had 2 strong chances of winning the world cup.

2003 - Ganguly lost the toss, lost the match. He should never have let the inexperienced bowlers to the slaughter. They were bound to be erratic like they were first up, taking no credit away from Australia. Tendulkar couldn't do much after Australia chased down 350.

1996 - India had a strong side in this tournament and home advantage. They had Sri Lanka in tatters too in the semi. But then Vaas and the other lower order players hung on and Sri Lanka played like a champion team. India lost (forfeited, sad memories as a kid of 15-16) to one of the greatest ODI teams of all time in that semi and there is no shame in losing to them.
It was very sad day in India. Very sad.

That place was trashed, Eden Gardens that is.
If you remember, after Sachin got out, everything fell apart. Except Kamli lol. Yea I remember him crying.

Sir Alex

Banned
Um, it was said that Tendulkar has done things Bevan hasn't and the obvious reply to that gem was that Tendulkar never won a world cup.

It was then insinuated that India were too weak for him to have won one, which is far from the truth. It didn't happen because they got shellacked in the final. He did have a shot, he did have a chance, and that's all there is to it really.
for the last time, Australia won the World Cup not Bevan.

Tendulkar can never win the World cup, India only can.

To suggest India had a team like Australia is joking.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
for the last time, Australia won the World Cup not Bevan.

Tendulkar can never win the World cup, India only can.

To suggest India had a team like Australia is joking.
You don't need a team like Australia to win the WC, look at Sri Lanka. You don't even need to be the best team in the world, look at when you guys last won it. These are nothing but excuses. Yes, cricket is a team game, but India have never been that weak that you could write off Tendulkar ever winning the world cup. They'll go in as one of the favourites, yet again, in 2011. Let's see how he does again there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You don't need a team like Australia to win the WC, look at Sri Lanka. You don't even need to be the best team in the world, look at when you guys last won it. These are nothing but excuses. Yes, cricket is a team game, but India have never been that weak that you could write off Tendulkar ever winning the world cup. They'll go in as one of the favourites, yet again, in 2011. Let's see how he does again there.
Sri Lanka was one of the greatest teams, specially in the subcontinent. You do need a team effort to win a world cup as it is a series of matches and you can't perform on every day. Even if you do perform and score a 100, your team can lose.

It is a team game FFS.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin is definitely better because his highest score is now 200no and Viv Richards never even managed to make 190

Sir Alex

Banned
As if he has struggled in world cups. Please give me a break.

Unless Tendulkar has "underperformed" or "cost" India a world cup, I don't see the point.