• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pratters Tendulkar Book Project

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will be writing a book on Tendulkar from his early days to the end of his career. It will be my own personal perspective, thoughts and analysis on Tendulkar. I believe I can have enough material for a book.

For the book, I would be needing help from fellow cw members on small details and some small questions I might have which I might forget. So could some of you willing to help drop me an email at pratterscricket @ gmail.com to confirm?

It is to be done over a period of 2-3 years or so by the time he retires, so we have enough time. If I can devote myself to researching (and I have some 10000 Sports Magazines from the past 30 years apart from some books to refer to) and write even 10 pages a month or get ideas streamlined ad then write 40 pages in one shot who knows how it will flow.

10 Pages a month and the lovely process it would entail makes me think that we can have a nice 350-400 page book here if we get the contents ready.

This is just a rough figure. It could be less or more.

So give me a few suggestions and wish me luck in writing this book. This is a book I really feel like writing.

Cheers.

Dissector

International Debutant
Sounds like a cool idea. If you have the time I would really recommend analysing Tendulkar's important innings ball by ball through Cricinfo. I think there are a lot of fresh insights possible through detailed analysis of the commentaries.

Sir Alex

Banned
I wish you good luck in

1. Capturing Tendulkar's 24-25 years of cricket in 300-400 pages
2. Getting a "comprehensive" book done on him before he even retires :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes, I would write on how he played so many of his bigger knocks so differently from others in his own genius way. Most fans don't know much about these knocks except the scorecards but a deeper analysis will show the genius Tendulkar is.

I know a fair few ways Tendulkar played some of his knocks but how can I get extra information?

We can then select knocks and analyse them one by one. Sounds great.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
2. Getting a "comprehensive" book done on him before he even retires :p
Yeah there was the Shane Warne autobiography which came out in the middle of his career. So I would plan it after he retires for sure. The more he plays, the more material I get.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm not getting anywhere near this one until I read a few favourable reviews of it online.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. Pratters, all the best!!!

Anything u think I can help with, juz mail me.. honestbharani at gmail dot com.. I would help with whatever I can.. Have basically watched every single one of his innings, I think

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What about keeping it to his cricketing career alone? And go through the different phases of his career in whichever way seems most interesting... Than stick to the timelines and stuff.. For instnace, we could talk about the 99-2003 period first when it seemed he lost his attacking ways and had become an accumulator then contrast that with his first peak of 1996 to about 1998 - early 1999.... When he was batting like a Richards reincarnate...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you say that? What alternative way would you suggest?
There's no way you're going to be able to cover his entire career adequately within 400 pages, and frankly, those books aren't as interesting to read

I'm no writer but If i wanted to do this I would structure the book in such a way that you addressed the main issues surrounding his playing years while picking examples from his career to illustrate your argument

So for example.

An issue could be

- Match winning ability(Or something like that). Then you could go through selecting innings and matches that provide the discussion for either argument, providing your own analysis and personal thoughts regarding his role.

- Another idea could be his success against Australia and contribution towards India becoming no1.

IMO, if you structure your book this way not only do you cover the most important aspects of his career (If done properly obviously) but your book will actually accomplish something rather than simply being a recount of his cricketing life.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cheers Honestbharani and Gotspin. I was finding it daunting to put in every thing of his career perfectly in a book. Dividing it in segments, dwelling deeper on aspects which need to be looked into seems not only far more interesting, it is much more doable as well and will be a pleasure to do. For the first time I have a bit of confidence I might be able to do this.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
No worries. It'd make for great reading to see a book that discusses the main issues surrounding Sachin while drawing from a whole variety of examples to support your argument that are taken from various time lines in his career. I imagine it'd be a lot of work to structure a book this way though

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have about 100 sports Magazines with Tendulkars face on the top from over the years. Those are weeks when he reached pinnacle position. I already separated them 4-5 years back. Browsing through them, deciding on categories, I think I'll get a clearer picture.

Tendulkar as a Kid
Tendulkar 13-15
Tendulkar Tests 1989-1994, etc
Tendulkar ODIs 1989-1992 when he scored a lot of 50s, was very agressive and further periods
Tendulkars great test, ODI (2 chapters) innings and how he controlled himself (by not playing on the leg side entirely for an inning as he was getting out to hitting across)
Tendulkar and Lara
Tendulkar and other contemporaries
Tendulkar and all time greats
Redifination of Tendulkar over the years and how he changed his game
Tendulkar in World Cups
Flaws in Tendulkar's stats like getting out in the 90s, slowing down in the 90s, first man to be given out by third umpire, poor 4th inning average etc
When people wrote Tendulkar off and how he bounced back also discussing his injuries

I am sure I can come up with more. If some one can come up with some, do add on.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
IMO a focus on particular issues, criticism etc that have been raised during his playing career is far better than a basic biography. Instead of having chapters focusing on him as a kid - There's bound to be countless out there right? - why not have a chapter on the beginning of Sachin Tendulkar - i.e rise to selection, the great hopes of the Indian public/selectors, your own personal reflections including friends, media etc.

e.g

First Chapter - The Rise of Sachin Tendulkar in the media

You could talk about how the media had picked up on his performances with his impending selection into the Test side and the possibility of a new Indian cricket superstar, and the hype surrounding this new young gun.

Then perhaps the Second chapter could address the disappointment over the years within the media etc. Use your own personal views to reflect this :ph34r: Criticism of him not being a match winner , failure of captaincy etc

And so on. Just some ideas to throw around

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah I get the idea. Make it issue based. Tendulkar being the perfect advertisers dream because of the way he was marketed by his advertising mentor is a story which needs to be told. Tendulkar's marketing changed after the mentor passed away and eventually Tendulkar gave way to Dhoni as India's No. 1 Cricketing brand.