• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar - Best Batsman In The World

Shri

Mr. Glass
SRT's legacy has already been stamped and sealed in the history books. I would like to see him win us a WC too. But I wouldn't look at him as a lesser player even if he isn't in the side that wins a WC for us. He already took us to a WC final in 2003. Satisfied with that personally.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Indian media especially after the advent of 24 hour news channel has been especially poor. There were headlines of Endulkar going around. Think that was in the Times of India which is full of nothing but gossip.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Indian media especially after the advent of 24 hour news channel has been especially poor. There were headlines of Endulkar going around. Think that was in the Times of India which is full of nothing but gossip.
I don't even like to click on a Times Of India, Indian Express and hindustan Times Link. If you did by mistake you will end up one full day closing all the popups.

Sir Alex

Banned
A moving post from another forum...thought it'd be apt to post it here...almost in tears reading this!

Haven't gone through the posts in this thread, but just to let you guys know the first hand experience of the effect a Sachin innings can have.

I was at the Ganga Ram Hospital (in Delhi) pediatric ICU for the last 2-3 weeks due to a personal emergency. As you can imagine, near a hospital unit dealing with terminally sick kids, the scene on the floor was always somber with families praying for their kids to get healthier and there used to be the regular wailing from nervous families or from the families which bid good bye to young kids of the household who couldn't struggle against their acute illnesses anymore.

For those 75-80 minutes after SRT scored his 100 and then went onto unleash those gorgeous shots, the scene on that entire floor was completely different. There were smiles all around. I saw people who used to wail and cry all the time praying for their kids well being, jumping with joy and cheering for Sachin's 200, saw even some patients on wheel chairs being carried to their rooms stopping before a TV on the floor and applauding the knock. So much of positive energy all because of one humble human being wielding his bat and unleashing those sumptuous drives, cuts, pulls and delicate paddle sweeps.

And last but not the least, there was this young boy aged about 14, struggling with a multiple organ failure and on whom the doctors had given up all hopes of a recovery, he sat with me for 10-15 minutes during the last stages of that knock praying for the world record to be broken first and then for the 200, returned to his room with a huge smile despite all the pain and then 2 days later his struggle abruptly came to an end and he breathed his last. Trust me, I never saw him without a smile during his last 2 days.

Forget everything, if an innings can bring such joy and smile to someone in so much of pain, lets have more such gems, even if it's termed as useless by some people.

Thank you Sachin!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Saw this on the net and wanted to share:
Sustaining greatness for the longest duration ever will probably be Sachin's lasting legacy.

---------------------------
When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race a F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam.

When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to "open" the Nehruvian economy.

It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had a Sachin Tendulkar and we perhaps never will.
-----------------------------------------------------
The bolded part isn't strictly true. Tendulkar debuted on 15th November 1989, the Wall was opened on the 9th. While still standing, it wasn't "intact" in the sense that once more, Berliners could move freely from East to West.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw this on the net and wanted to share:
Sustaining greatness for the longest duration ever will probably be Sachin's lasting legacy.

---------------------------
When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race a F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam.

When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to "open" the Nehruvian economy.

It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had a Sachin Tendulkar and we perhaps never will.
-----------------------------------------------------
The bolded part isn't strictly true. Tendulkar debuted on 15th November 1989, the Wall was opened on the 9th. While still standing, it wasn't "intact" in the sense that once more, Berliners could move freely from East to West.
He's also not the only person to have sustained greatness over two decades. It's bloody difficult, and incredibly praiseworthy - but certainly not unique.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
But you need to read it in context:

When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan... When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career...The Berlin Wall was still intact
The opening tour match was on 10 November 1989. Assuming Tendulkar set off for Pakistan 2 days before that, I reckon the article is correct. A quick (and pointless) internet search won't tell me when they set off though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But you need to read it in context:

The opening tour match was on 10 November 1989. Assuming Tendulkar set off for Pakistan 2 days before that, I reckon the article is correct. A quick (and pointless) internet search won't tell me when they set off though.
The "travelled to Pakistan" part is in a different paragraph.

The 2nd paragraph quite clearly refers to the start of Tendulkar's international career.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, the piece needs to be read as a whole. It's not as though the writer was trying to draw a distinction between the dates referred to in the first and second paragraphs. What the writer was doing was saying the same thing at the start of the paragraph but in a different way, giving a pleasing repetitive rhythm.

And make no mistake, GF: this debate matters