• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afghanistan About to Chase down 494!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not been updated recently it seems. Poor fielding helped Yusuf Pathan and his domestic side chase down 540 odd in a FC tournament last month. Could be 9th.
Fixed. :D

Here's the scorecard for anyone that's not seen it: Final: South Zone v West Zone at Hyderabad (Deccan), Feb 2-6, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com Serious runs scored in that game. 2 centuries for Pathan and Karthik, plus a century for Pathak too. Impressive run chase right there though, to chase 540 in the 4th innings is just incredible.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This Mohammad Shahzad's not bad, is he?

2 centuries in 4 ODIs, averaging 61, and he's just produced a solid knock - 215* from 258 balls.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fixed. :D

Here's the scorecard for anyone that's not seen it: Final: South Zone v West Zone at Hyderabad (Deccan), Feb 2-6, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com Serious runs scored in that game. 2 centuries for Pathan and Karthik, plus a century for Pathak too. Impressive run chase right there though, to chase 540 in the 4th innings is just incredible.
Quite remarkable - Pathan's unbeaten fourth innings double century at better than a run-a-ball must've been an unbelievable display of hitting. Also interesting to note how many massive fourth innings run chases theres been lately, the Indian domestic match above, the Central Districts chase of 445 against Wellington in December, and today's effort all within the last three months. Plus Somerset (;)) chased 479 to win against Yorkshire in the 2009 county season.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be fascinating to see what happened if they played a First Class match against Bangladesh - would give us a much better idea of where they are

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be fascinating to see what happened if they played a First Class match against Bangladesh - would give us a much better idea of where they are

nowhere near, Canada can hardly be called a decent opposition, especially in FC.

stumpski

International Captain
Oh I dunno, I think Bangladesh would be very keen to avoid having to play such a match, myself. Not for nothing are Afghanistan runaway leaders in the IC at the moment.

AaronK

State Regular
I am telling you guys.. watch out for this afghan team here.. they have got some serious talents in their team..

I am marking for them during the 20/20 world cup..

I just looked at this years 20/20 world cup groups.. they are set to play against India and South Africa.. common.. not fair.. against #1 and #2 teams of cricket.. how is this fair lol

Last edited:

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
I am telling you guys.. watch out for this afghan team here.. they have got some serious talents in their team..

I just looked at this years 20/20 world cup groups.. they are set to play against India and South Africa.. common.. not fair.. against #1 and #2 teams of cricket.. how is this fair lol

actually they are not #1 and #2 in t20, pakistan is #1 and sri lanka i think is #2 so its fine

Craig

World Traveller
I would say Bangladesh would probably thrash them, and therefore in the same problem as before. They would beat all the teams at ICC Intercontinental level, but not good enough for Tests. Same with Zimbabwe for mine.

So there is no point sending them down to that level as it would be too easy for them, but the trick is too bring them up to the Test playing level. How you do that, I don't know.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Same way that worked a treat for Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, and should have been the blueprint for Bangladesh and everything thereafter.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Quite remarkable - Pathan's unbeaten fourth innings double century at better than a run-a-ball must've been an unbelievable display of hitting. Also interesting to note how many massive fourth innings run chases theres been lately, the Indian domestic match above, the Central Districts chase of 445 against Wellington in December, and today's effort all within the last three months. Plus Somerset (;)) chased 479 to win against Yorkshire in the 2009 county season.
And, apparently, there was also an even more unbelievable display of catch-dropping - that too seems contagious. (Dropped catches or not, still something to rack up such a knock - kudos YKP).

I just looked at this years 20/20 world cup groups.. they are set to play against India and South Africa.. common.. not fair.. against #1 and #2 chokers of cricket.. how is this fair lol
Fixed. Not fair to India and SA, I agree. :ph34r:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say Bangladesh would probably thrash them, and therefore in the same problem as before. They would beat all the teams at ICC Intercontinental level, but not good enough for Tests. Same with Zimbabwe for mine.

So there is no point sending them down to that level as it would be too easy for them, but the trick is too bring them up to the Test playing level. How you do that, I don't know.
Arrange plaenty of tours against A sides of better test playing nations. If they can come to a level that can thrash SL A or ENG A the they'll be competitive. If they can thrash AUS A or IND A, they'll beat few test nations as well.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arrange plaenty of tours against A sides of better test playing nations. If they can come to a level that can thrash SL A or ENG A the they'll be competitive. If they can thrash AUS A or IND A, they'll beat few test nations as well.
I'd rather they did an early/late season tour of Aus and played each state side.