• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would come out on top in these fantasy match ups?

Xuhaib

International Coach
1.Viv vs Warne
2.Ponting vs Imran Khan
3.Gavaskar vs McGrath
4.Viv vs Akhtar
5.Sachin vs Lillee
6.Ian Chappell vs Murali
Assuming its a 5 game series.

1.Warne will pick him up a few times but Viv will play atleast one or two sublime knocks.

2.Imran will have the upper hand especially if his indipper is working well early in Ponting's innings however if Ponting can get in he can take toll of Imran's short stuff.

3.Mcgrath enjoyed bowling to steady batsman I espect him to have an upperhand on Gavaskar a replica of Mcgrath-Dravid battles.

4.If Viv gets caught early in a hot Akhtar spell then there might be trouble otherwise I can see him dismantling Akhtar.

5.Similar results to Warne-Viv.

6.Don't know how good Ian was against quality spin so will not comment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shoaib Akhtar vs. Viv Richards would be one of the most interesting ones. At their very best, those two were pretty much better than anything (bar maybe SF Barnes and Frank Tyson in the bowling case, and bar Bradman in the batting one) ever seen. But that best was so good that, naturally, they weren't able to produce it all that often.

Richards when not at his best however still tended to be damn good; Shoaib on the other hand tended to be damn awful. So Richards I think would often massacre him, but Shoaib would be one of the precious few bowlers in history who'd have the power to stop a Richards in full flow.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
1.Viv vs Warne
2.Ponting vs Imran Khan
3.Gavaskar vs McGrath
4.Viv vs Akhtar
5.Sachin vs Lillee
6.Ian Chappell vs Murali
1. I would back Warne at first because of the shortage of spinners in the 80s especially.

2. Ponting is/was a great player of pace.

3. Mcgrath, somehow, was even better against defensive batsman and I believe he would have Sunny driving at balls a fraction too short to drive at. I believe now, since he retired, that Mcgrath was almost without any equal.

4. I would back Viv against any pace bowler by definition

5. Tendulka, even if he struggled at first, would adapt and overcome. He always has.

6. Don't know really. I would guess Murali because he is an all-time great bowler and I. Chappell was not an all-time great batsman, but apparently a very good one.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
6 is interesting - Chappelli was a really good player of spin imo, but of course he won't have seen anything like Murali before.

Maximus0723

State Regular
1.Viv vs Warne
2.Ponting vs Imran Khan
3.Gavaskar vs McGrath
4.Viv vs Akhtar
5.Sachin vs Lillee
6.Ian Chappell vs Murali
Viv vs. Warne= 6 vs 4
Ponting vs Imran=4 vs 6.
Gavaskar vs McGrath= 5 vs 5-small edge to Gavaskar b/c he played many gg bowlers as opener.
Viv vs Akhtar=World would explode
Sachin vs Lilee= 6 vs 4. Lilee is overrated.
Chappell vs Murali= 3 vs 7.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
viv vs. Warne= 6 vs 4
ponting vs imran=4 vs 6.
Gavaskar vs mcgrath= 5 vs 5-small edge to gavaskar b/c he played many gg bowlers as opener.
Viv vs akhtar=world would explode
sachin vs lilee= 6 vs 4. lilee is overrated.
chappell vs murali= 3 vs 7.
8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The amount of money I would pay to watch Viv vs. Warne, Ponting vs. Imran and Sachin vs. Lillee is obscene.

Would kayak across oceans if necessary.

Himannv

International Coach
1.Viv vs Warne
2.Ponting vs Imran Khan
3.Gavaskar vs McGrath
4.Viv vs Akhtar
5.Sachin vs Lillee
6.Ian Chappell vs Murali
1. Warne. Viv will certainly win a few of these battles but on the whole I think Warne will have the upper hand.
2. Ponting. Not the easiest call but I reckon Ponting will perform more often than not.
3. McGrath. One of the most steady batsmen against one of the most steadiest bowlers but I think the length will help McGrath.
4. Viv for sure. Richards will rise to the challenge. Akthar may get one or two scapls but on the whole Viv will dominate.
5. Sachin. Too good a batsman.
6. Murali. Too good a bowler.