Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Viv Richards' Cricinfo Interview

  1. #1
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,824

    Viv Richards' Cricinfo Interview

    Viv Richards: 'I felt I was an artist' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

    Was a good read. Was never known for being subtle, was he?

    Champ.
    This was a serious post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    As for Sharma, sorry but he's the only Indian bowler outside of Khan who has consistently managed to take wickets away from home and trouble good batsman. Shami looks highly promising but India don't have better seam options than Sharma at the moment in test cricket. Quite simple.
    RIP Craigos. Owe you a beer.:(

    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2186298-post7381.html

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,139
    Haha, the main thing I take out of that is how utterly stupid it would have been to sledge Viv.

    I think it's a shame him and Warne were born out of sync. I think Viv at his peak vs Warne at his peak would be been a classic confrontation.

  3. #3
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,824
    But then we would have missed Warne Vs Sachin.

    Would have been fun to watch him put Harbhajan in his right place though. Or Andre Nel or Sreesanth. He has said in the interview he like bowlers like those guys.

  4. #4
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,496
    Viv vs Akthar / Waqar would have been a cracker. Akthar delivered what Viv liked least. Swinging, full, fast deliveries. Not short stff which Viv ate for breakfast.

    Well Warne and McGrath vs Viv would've been another real battle.

    Viv vs Murali would have gone down as the best, becaue Murali does what he least likes. When you get beaten, he grins.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

    I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,139
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    But then we would have missed Warne Vs Sachin.

    Would have been fun to watch him put Harbhajan in his right place though. Or Andre Nel or Sreesanth. He has said in the interview he like bowlers like those guys.
    True, but I think Viv's personality as opposed to Sachin's would have made Viv's battles with Warne even better IMO.

  6. #6
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,356
    I would have paid to see McGrath vs Viv. It would have been awesome. The stonewallers got owned by McGrath. The real explosive batsmen were the ones to have any chance of scoring a lot until you misjudged your off stump one time. Viv would have been great to watch vs. McGrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Viv vs. most of the excellent oppo seamers of his day (Lillee, Hadlee, Imran) was indeed many times tremendous viewing. What never got seen was Viv vs. a great oppo spinner, because there weren't any in his day of covered wickets (Underwood would've been had uncovered wickets lasted a bit longer).

    Any time you get a top-standard batsman being bowled at by a top-standard bowler over a lengthy series it's going to be fascinating.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Haha, the main thing I take out of that is how utterly stupid it would have been to sledge Viv.

    I think it's a shame him and Warne were born out of sync. I think Viv at his peak vs Warne at his peak would be been a classic confrontation.
    Richards of '76 or '79/80 vs. Warne of '93-'93/94 or '97-'97/98. Hmm.

    Funny thing about Warne was that he knew who not to sledge. Everyone's always commented how they never saw him say much to Tendulkar or Lara, both of whom (like Stephen Waugh) thrived on bowlers mouthing at them. Personally can see there being some winners and some losers, on each count, should the two of them ever have come-up against each other.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Richards of '76 or '79/80 vs. Warne of '93-'93/94 or '97-'97/98. Hmm.

    Funny thing about Warne was that he knew who not to sledge. Everyone's always commented how they never saw him say much to Tendulkar or Lara, both of whom (like Stephen Waugh) thrived on bowlers mouthing at them. Personally can see there being some winners and some losers, on each count, should the two of them ever have come-up against each other.
    Very good point. The only person who sledged at Tendulkar and got away with it was Glenn McGrath.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Viv vs. most of the excellent oppo seamers of his day (Lillee, Hadlee, Imran) was indeed many times tremendous viewing. What never got seen was Viv vs. a great oppo spinner, because there weren't any in his day of covered wickets (Underwood would've been had uncovered wickets lasted a bit longer).

    Any time you get a top-standard batsman being bowled at by a top-standard bowler over a lengthy series it's going to be fascinating.
    Imran is the only bowler who owned him.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Funny thing about Warne was that he knew who not to sledge. Everyone's always commented how they never saw him say much to Tendulkar or Lara, both of whom (like Stephen Waugh) thrived on bowlers mouthing at them.
    Warne also knew when to sledge. Went after Lara from '97 onwards as their relationship deteriorated.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  12. #12
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Viv vs. most of the excellent oppo seamers of his day (Lillee, Hadlee, Imran) was indeed many times tremendous viewing. What never got seen was Viv vs. a great oppo spinner, because there weren't any in his day of covered wickets (Underwood would've been had uncovered wickets lasted a bit longer).

    Any time you get a top-standard batsman being bowled at by a top-standard bowler over a lengthy series it's going to be fascinating.
    I think Chandrashekar will have lot to say about that. Yes he's no Murali / Warne / O'Riely or Grimmet, but not dross.

  13. #13
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Imran is the only bowler who owned him.
    I doubt it. But I can remember him saying that Chandra was the one he respected most. because not even Chandra knew what's going to come out of his hand.

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    I doubt it. But I can remember him saying that Chandra was the one he respected most. because not even Chandra knew what's going to come out of his hand.
    In the 86 and 88 series vs Windies Imran took 41 wickets at at a crazy average of 15 or 16 I don;t know how he performed individually vs Viv but I am pretty sure Viv would have struggled to collar him.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    In the 86 and 88 series vs Windies Imran took 41 wickets at at a crazy average of 15 or 16 I don;t know how he performed individually vs Viv but I am pretty sure Viv would have struggled to collar him.
    Imran got Viv out 5 times in 24 innings

    Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

    Viv's record in matches Imran played

    Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

    Nothing suggests that Imran owned Viv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Peter McGlashan - Sky Sports NZ Video Interview
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:19 AM
  2. Hawkeye on cricinfo
    By zaremba in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 16-02-2010, 02:32 AM
  3. Strangest Cricinfo profile pics
    By Smudge in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 07:08 AM
  4. luke ronchi interview
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 12:34 AM
  5. Interview with Sehwag
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •