• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards' Cricinfo Interview

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha, the main thing I take out of that is how utterly stupid it would have been to sledge Viv.

I think it's a shame him and Warne were born out of sync. I think Viv at his peak vs Warne at his peak would be been a classic confrontation.

Shri

Mr. Glass
But then we would have missed Warne Vs Sachin.:p

Would have been fun to watch him put Harbhajan in his right place though. Or Andre Nel or Sreesanth. He has said in the interview he like bowlers like those guys.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv vs Akthar / Waqar would have been a cracker. Akthar delivered what Viv liked least. Swinging, full, fast deliveries. Not short stff which Viv ate for breakfast.

Well Warne and McGrath vs Viv would've been another real battle.

Viv vs Murali would have gone down as the best, becaue Murali does what he least likes. When you get beaten, he grins.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But then we would have missed Warne Vs Sachin.:p

Would have been fun to watch him put Harbhajan in his right place though. Or Andre Nel or Sreesanth. He has said in the interview he like bowlers like those guys.
True, but I think Viv's personality as opposed to Sachin's would have made Viv's battles with Warne even better IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would have paid to see McGrath vs Viv. It would have been awesome. The stonewallers got owned by McGrath. The real explosive batsmen were the ones to have any chance of scoring a lot until you misjudged your off stump one time. Viv would have been great to watch vs. McGrath.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Viv vs. most of the excellent oppo seamers of his day (Lillee, Hadlee, Imran) was indeed many times tremendous viewing. What never got seen was Viv vs. a great oppo spinner, because there weren't any in his day of covered wickets (Underwood would've been had uncovered wickets lasted a bit longer).

Any time you get a top-standard batsman being bowled at by a top-standard bowler over a lengthy series it's going to be fascinating.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, the main thing I take out of that is how utterly stupid it would have been to sledge Viv.

I think it's a shame him and Warne were born out of sync. I think Viv at his peak vs Warne at his peak would be been a classic confrontation.
Richards of '76 or '79/80 vs. Warne of '93-'93/94 or '97-'97/98. Hmm.

Funny thing about Warne was that he knew who not to sledge. Everyone's always commented how they never saw him say much to Tendulkar or Lara, both of whom (like Stephen Waugh) thrived on bowlers mouthing at them. Personally can see there being some winners and some losers, on each count, should the two of them ever have come-up against each other.

Sir Alex

Banned

Funny thing about Warne was that he knew who not to sledge. Everyone's always commented how they never saw him say much to Tendulkar or Lara, both of whom (like Stephen Waugh) thrived on bowlers mouthing at them. Personally can see there being some winners and some losers, on each count, should the two of them ever have come-up against each other.
Very good point. The only person who sledged at Tendulkar and got away with it was Glenn McGrath.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Viv vs. most of the excellent oppo seamers of his day (Lillee, Hadlee, Imran) was indeed many times tremendous viewing. What never got seen was Viv vs. a great oppo spinner, because there weren't any in his day of covered wickets (Underwood would've been had uncovered wickets lasted a bit longer).

Any time you get a top-standard batsman being bowled at by a top-standard bowler over a lengthy series it's going to be fascinating.
Imran is the only bowler who owned him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny thing about Warne was that he knew who not to sledge. Everyone's always commented how they never saw him say much to Tendulkar or Lara, both of whom (like Stephen Waugh) thrived on bowlers mouthing at them.
Warne also knew when to sledge. Went after Lara from '97 onwards as their relationship deteriorated.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

I think Chandrashekar will have lot to say about that. Yes he's no Murali / Warne / O'Riely or Grimmet, but not dross.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I doubt it. But I can remember him saying that Chandra was the one he respected most. because not even Chandra knew what's going to come out of his hand.
In the 86 and 88 series vs Windies Imran took 41 wickets at at a crazy average of 15 or 16 I don;t know how he performed individually vs Viv but I am pretty sure Viv would have struggled to collar him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the 86 and 88 series vs Windies Imran took 41 wickets at at a crazy average of 15 or 16 I don;t know how he performed individually vs Viv but I am pretty sure Viv would have struggled to collar him.
I was thinking more of match-ups in the late '70s; while Richards was still a batsman of considerable potency in '86/87 and '88, he wasn't as good as he was in his golden periods of '76 and '79/80-'81 (in fact only one person has ever been that good for more than the odd Test at a time, and we know his name).

Pakistan toured West Indies in '77 and West Indies went to Pakistan in '80/81. Those series' featured both players at the top of their games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Chandrashekar will have lot to say about that. Yes he's no Murali / Warne / O'Riely or Grimmet, but not dross.
True, but Richards I think faced him only once - that in his debut series when he'd just taken Garry Sobers' place.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Yeah, but equally if Viv decided to have a wee chirp at Warne, I don't see Warne backing down from any verbal confrontation.

Whereas Tendulkar doesn't strike me as someone who'd need to chirp - he'll just let his bat do the talking.