• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So is India safe to tour or is it just a media beat-up?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
On the plus side, if it were moved, I could visit NZ like a week or two after the World Cup, and the hotels might be real cheap!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
WAIT. STOP.

Did anyone else spot this?

That is pretty funny. Coming from a guy who was charged with kidnapping, and assault :p. Michael, keep Lara out of India :p.
Of course, for some reason, she started it with:

"@LalitKModi Hi Lalit. Hope you are well...."

James

Cricket Web Owner
NZ co-hosts with Australia for the 2015 tournament as it stands right now.

I'd imagine NZ would host a couple of groups, few games of the Super Sixes/Eights and possibly a semi-final and that would be about it.

Eden Park with the re-development will hold up to 60,000 I believe. Not bad at all capacity wise.

Matt79

Global Moderator
BCCI throws up fake tantrums with stuff like umpiring, but if you hit them in one place that they actually care about (money).....

I think if the ICC votes to move the WC out of the subcontinent, the boards who voted for that better be prepared for a **** storm of biblical proportions in terms of a decade long continuous royal ****ing whenever they get the chance (and they'll get a lot of chances).
Would actually cause the oft-discussed split in world cricket, wouldn't it?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
As much as I would like the WC to be held in India, This would be truly awesome. Hope they have got enough room for tourists in NZ for couple of weeks.

Just out of curiosity has NZ ever hosted something that big (in terms of sheer nos)?
We're hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2011 as well which has more teams, and will have a heck of a lot of tourists.

And bearing in mind our biggest export earner these days is tourism, I think we'd be OK on the accommodation front...

Major issue would be around stadiums - Eden Park in particular, is still being renovated for the Rugby World Cup, and a March 2011 timeline might be a bit close. Christchurch's stadium is completed, and Wellington games would no doubt be played at the Westpac Stadium, so no dramas there, but I guess the finals and possibly both semis would be played in Aussie anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
We're hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2011 as well which has more teams, and will have a heck of a lot of tourists.

And bearing in mind our biggest export earner these days is tourism, I think we'd be OK on the accommodation front...

Major issue would be around stadiums - Eden Park in particular, is still being renovated for the Rugby World Cup, and a March 2011 timeline might be a bit close. Christchurch's stadium is completed, and Wellington games would no doubt be played at the Westpac Stadium, so no dramas there, but I guess the finals and possibly both semis would be played in Aussie anyway.
I suppose the Basin and Dunedin's University Oval can be used for the smaller matches. Same with Queenstown as well, with the airport landing strip behind the ground and the Remarkables as the backdrop. Not bad at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There are rumors that IPL may ban players from next year's auction if they do not come to India this year. If players boycott en masse, this won't happen - they won't ban everyone, but if 50% come and 50% don't, IPL could very well do that to set an example....

Craig

World Traveller
There are rumors that IPL may ban players from next year's auction if they do not come to India this year. If players boycott en masse, this won't happen - they won't ban everyone, but if 50% come and 50% don't, IPL could very well do that to set an example....
That's pretty harsh IMO. If a player has genuine concerns about his safety (whether in reality that is the case or not), then surely that is different to somebody who got a spot and the player who was sitting around the house then decided '**** it, I won't go this year'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Two reasons: 1) The franchises are in a lot of trouble - three weeks to go and they have to scramble for replacement. Especially if another franchise has their overseas player come - you are not at a competitive disadvantage. 2) The threat of a ban may force more people to come.

I am not saying it's the right thing to do, but from a business PoV, that's what they'd be thinking. At the very least, IPL and the franchises will probably tell all the players who miss it this year that their price will be severely hurt next year, since this year the players who were available for the whole duration were the ones that got the bets bids. It also makes sense, these type of threats in India are not a one time thing (as you saw with Champions League cancellation and then the IPL move) - so they may not waste money on players whose availability is iffy at best every year.

Again, I am not saying it's the 'right' thing, but it's a business, and they're trying to create a product. You can't have this business where every year your best players may or may not pull out, and build any sort of a stable team.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
With every passing day IPL is looking more and more horrible. I am just surprised that it still has players wanting to play for it. But if they continue their ways, very soon they will find players prefering Ranji/Duleep Trophy matches over them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Egos will be hurt. We've seen how well India copes with perceived slights over the violence here in Melbourne.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, Sri Lanka is. I haven't really heard much misgivings about Sri Lanka from foreign players.
Do not think those advisiories are meant only for players.

For the general pupblic,India is certainly safer than Srilanka,where there was a civil war recently and a strange coupe'd election.

In contrast for high profile figures,i would think both would be equal or Srilanka safer.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That's pretty harsh IMO. If a player has genuine concerns about his safety (whether in reality that is the case or not), then surely that is different to somebody who got a spot and the player who was sitting around the house then decided '**** it, I won't go this year'.
But then every player who does not want to come will claim a "security threat".

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Two reasons: 1) The franchises are in a lot of trouble - three weeks to go and they have to scramble for replacement. Especially if another franchise has their overseas player come - you are not at a competitive disadvantage. 2) The threat of a ban may force more people to come.

I am not saying it's the right thing to do, but from a business PoV, that's what they'd be thinking. At the very least, IPL and the franchises will probably tell all the players who miss it this year that their price will be severely hurt next year, since this year the players who were available for the whole duration were the ones that got the bets bids. It also makes sense, these type of threats in India are not a one time thing (as you saw with Champions League cancellation and then the IPL move) - so they may not waste money on players whose availability is iffy at best every year.

Again, I am not saying it's the 'right' thing, but it's a business, and they're trying to create a product. You can't have this business where every year your best players may or may not pull out, and build any sort of a stable team.
You gave two important points.

But missed the two most important ones-

1)If they do not keep this threat ,it will be a easy way for contracted player to force his way out.For example any player who wants to do something else at that time can easily claim a "Security threat" and really there is no way of distinguishing as craig said a player who has genuine concerns about his safety (whether in reality that is the case or not), from a player who was sitting around the house then decided '**** it, I won't go this year.

2)There might be certain players who have larger security concerns than others.So if these players are not coming this year in face a threat from some unheard group,then there will in all probability be another such threat next year too from some unheard group(as they will have found a easy way to scare people away from India and cause damage),and in all probability they would not come next year too.So what is the point of having them in the auction and being uncertain about their participation.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same thing that was said by people in Pakistan. This line of thought leads to danger. Should always prepare for the worst case scenarios.
In the event, anyone in Pakistan who had supported Al Qaeda in the first place just concluded that it was all a big Western/Indian conspiracy. The situation in India would be, from what I gather, somewhat different.

Still, agree with your point. The fact that it would be really, really stupid for a gang of professional idiots to do something doesn't mean we can conclude that they won't do it.