• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future test 11s

ret

International Debutant
Would be interesting to see how the test 11 look like if we don't consider those who are 34 and above!

I will start with the Ind 11:

- Karthik
- Gambhir
- Kohli
- Sehwag (said wants to bat at #4 in future)
- Panday
- UV / All -rounder
- Dhoni
- Bhajji / Mishy
- Zak
- Ishant
- Sree

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is always a future - the question is how far into the future are we talking?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interesting to see how the test 11 look like if we don't consider those who are 34 and above!

I will start with the Ind 11:

- Karthik
- Gambhir
- Kohli
- Sehwag (said wants to bat at #4 in future)
- Panday
- UV / All -rounder
- Dhoni
- Bhajji / Mishy
- Zak
- Ishant
- Sree
1. Gautam Gambhir
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Murali Vijay
4. S Badrinath
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7. Manish Pandey
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Amit Mishra

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, yeah, but it's the whole reason why I find talking about "the future" in Test cricket so incomprehensively pointless. Test cricket is overwhelmingly about the here and now - the best one team has to offer, right now, against the best another team has to offer, right now. Yes, you can look a little way down the line with a reasonable amount of confidence, but try to look too far ahead (and "too far" is not really very far at all) and you're faced with all sorts of obstacles that make it little more worthwhile than sticking pins in a piece of paper blindfold to see whether you create an interesting piece of artwork.

FTR, I don't find threads like this very interesting - that's about the summation of things.

ret

International Debutant
There is always a future - the question is how far into the future are we talking?
When I was thinking abt the title of this thread, I knew someone would ask this as if it weren't so obvious :laugh:

Obviously, I am not taking abt a 2020 team unless you want to prognosticate a line up with names not many would have heard of. The line up for Ind that I have given gives an insight in to this too. It's near future when the guys 34 and above are expected to retire. Ofc someone can come up with a meaningless argument that how would you know that someone aged 35 would retire, he can play till he is 38-40 and so on. The original posts throws some hints too that we are talking abt a line up assuming that the guys 34 and above would have retired duh

In short, players who you think would be around/playing/debuting in the next couple of years or so sans those who are 34 and above. The idea of this thread is for me (and others who are also interested) to better understand what future line ups could look like sans some of the key players based on things that I have said.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well for SL

Paranavithana
Dilshan
Sangakkara
Jayawardane
Mathews
Kandamby / Kaushal Silva
P. Jayawardane / Kauhal SIlva
Herath
Thushara
Fernando / Suraj Randiv
Welagedara

Few years timme Senanayake or S. Prasanna may take over from Herath / Randiv / Mendis

jeevan

International 12th Man
1. Gautam Gambhir
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Murali Vijay
4. S Badrinath
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7. Manish Pandey
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Amit Mishra
That's got to be among the better tails ever. (India once played Pathan-Kumble-Harbhajan-Zaheer in ~ 2005 iirc but the remaining 3 have upped the ante since then, and Mishra has done well with the bat twice this year).

Virat Kohli appears to have a more sensible head on his shoulders than Vijay, for mine.
Won't touch the Yuvraj topic, but if the bar is that low there are enough candidates.

Howsie

International Captain
Really, it's far too hard to tell with New Zealand. Although I would expect Ross Taylor, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Jesse Ryder, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Corey Anderson and Nick Beard to be in and around the test squad in around three years.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
That's got to be among the better tails ever. (India once played Pathan-Kumble-Harbhajan-Zaheer in ~ 2005 iirc but the remaining 3 have upped the ante since then, and Mishra has done well with the bat twice this year).

Virat Kohli appears to have a more sensible head on his shoulders than Vijay, for mine.
Won't touch the Yuvraj topic, but if the bar is that low there are enough candidates.
Don't discount the likes of Nohit sharma,Suresh Raina,Cheteshwar Pujara and even Mohammad Kaif either.
And there are others too in the fray like nayar(all rounder )and Karthik as a batsmen and there are wildcards too like Abhimanyu Mithun,Manoj Tiwary,Tanmay Srivastava,Yusuf Pathan,Swapnil Asnodkar and last but not least Ajinkya Rahane.

That is only counting the batsmen.

Though for me the biggest talents IF I had to choose four prospects are-

Rohit Sharma,Manish Pandey,Cheteshwar Pujara and a tie at fourth for Virat Kohli and Rahane.

iamdavid

International Debutant
1.Watson
2.Hughes
3.?? (Khawaja maybe??)
4.Clarke
5.White
6.Smith
7.Wade+ (sorry Paine)
8.Johnson
9.Hilfenhaus/Siddle/Harris
10.Hauritz/another quick
11.Bollinger

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don't discount the likes of Nohit sharma,Suresh Raina,Cheteshwar Pujara and even Mohammad Kaif either.
And there are others too in the fray like nayar(all rounder )and Karthik as a batsmen and there are wildcards too like Abhimanyu Mithun,Manoj Tiwary,Tanmay Srivastava,Yusuf Pathan,Swapnil Asnodkar and last but not least Ajinkya Rahane.

That is only counting the batsmen.

Though for me the biggest talents IF I had to choose four prospects are-

Rohit Sharma,Manish Pandey,Cheteshwar Pujara and a tie at fourth for Virat Kohli and Rahane.
Abhinav Mukund too.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Pakistan:

2...Malik?
3.Moyo in test but otherwise Malik
4.Rahul Tondulkar
5.Umar Akmal
6.Alam defo
7.Razzaq
8.Aamer
9.Asif
10.Kaneria
11.Gul?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
In three or four years time...

Adrian Barath
Kraigg Brathwaite
Kiaran Powell
Darren Bravo
Kyle Corbin/Yannik Carriah
Andre Fletcher/ Shane Dorwich
Kiaron Pollard
Andre Stoll
Kavesh Kantasingh/Jomel Warrican
Jason Holder
Kemar Roach

To be honest i could have done another two sides probably, but if those individuals develop they way i think they will then we're gonna be a frightening prospect to deal with in the future, and i can't wait to see what happens.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Really, it's far too hard to tell with New Zealand. Although I would expect Ross Taylor, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Jesse Ryder, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Corey Anderson and Nick Beard to be in and around the test squad in around three years.
agreed on kane williamson and trent boult but nick beard must be a long shot. with new zealand a large percentage of the under 19s make test cricketers.
i remember watching nz under 19s at scarborough in 1989 in the team was chris harris, chris cairns, adam parore, mathew hart, mark richardson, i think blair pocock and lorne howell made the one day team.

King Pietersen

International Captain
In three or four years time...

Adrian Barath
Kraigg Brathwaite
Kiaran Powell
Darren Bravo
Kyle Corbin/Yannik Carriah
Andre Fletcher/ Shane Dorwich
Kiaron Pollard
Andre Stoll
Kavesh Kantasingh/Jomel Warrican
Jason Holder
Kemar Roach

To be honest i could have done another two sides probably, but if those individuals develop they way i think they will then we're gonna be a frightening prospect to deal with in the future, and i can't wait to see what happens.
Hang on, so in 3 years you're expecting these lads to have replaced Chris Gayle, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Dwayne Bravo, Jerome Taylor, Fidel Edwards and Dinesh Ramdin. Seems highly unlikely to me, you've basically dropped the whole current XI bar Barath and Roach. Be like me predicting the England Test XI in 3 years to be:

Alastair Cook
Sam Northeast
James Vince
James Taylor
Ben Stokes
Craig Kieswetter +
Stuart Broad
Adil Rashid
Ajmal Shahzad
Chris Woakes
Stephen Finn

It's not going to happen. Admire your optimism, I've never seen anyone so optimistic about their countries young talent, you seem to believe that anyone that's made a score of over 20 or taken a wicket in Domestic Cricket is going to be a big star.