Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The demise of JP...

The demise of JP...

At the conclusion of the SA v Aus series in Aus last year I thought Duminy an absolute star had arrived. Not only due to the runs he scored in that series, but the matter in which he scored them. He looked composed at the crease, seemed to have loads of time & appeared to be mature beyond his years. I haven't seen much of him since aside from the odd really bad stream on some crappy site.

What's happened since? Was it a case of him just suiting Australian-like pitches? Has he been exposed against spin? Has there been some technical issue exposed or is it merely a case of bad luck & bad form?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Bad trot and doesn't like the ball up around his ears. Too good not to come back strong.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Bad trot and doesn't like the ball up around his ears. Too good not to come back strong.
    nah is the offies thats are troubling him not the bouncers.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Swann certainly produced some pretty damn good deliveries to get rid of him in the SA-vs-Eng series.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Dano.85's Avatar
    I just think he is in a bad spell. A lot of players who burst on the world stage get for want of a better word found out, bowlers and teams work out plans to bowl at him, they have found a few chinks in his technique and now he must work on them, if he over comes this spell he will be a good player and i think he has enough talent to do so.
    You nick it, i'll catch it then i will send you the scorecard for the next year.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    He got owned by spin in India. Dunno if its a mental thing but he did not look good at all against spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Yeah he got owned by the spinners, but still early days. That hundred in Australia certainly was no fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    Yeah he got owned by the spinners, but still early days. That hundred in Australia certainly was no fluke.
    Maybe it was.

I doubt it, and I'd be surprised if he didn't go on to have a great career, but the bowling was amongst the most toothless Australian bowling I've ever seen on that day and even Steyn had little troubles playing it. It was a brilliant knock in the context of the match and series and the pressure faced, but not in terms of the actual attack and ground conditions.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Demise happens when you reach great heights not 1 good series.

But it wasn't just one innings by Duminy in Australia, it was the whole series. The innings I remember vividly is the 20/20 game at the MCG. Duminy comes in with South Africa 3 down for nothing, Shaun Tait bowling like the wind, he just got AB out hit wicket and Duminy then precedes to lap sweep Tait for six and then goes onto to score 78 off 40 odd balls.

Tremendous talent, just canít play off-spin. Wayne Parnell and ****, even Morne Morkel for ten overs looked head and shoulders more astute at playing off-spin than JP and Prince. Parnell refreshingly played Bhaji with the bat.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Yes at the moment he looks like a walking wicket when the off-spinners are on, but in Graeme Swann and Harbhajan Singh he won't come up against many better off spinners around at the moment. There are clearly technical issues with him, but inevitably mental ones too now. He must find a way to overcome these problems no matter how ugly it looks in doing so, whether that's the more positive mode he adopts in limited-overs cricket, uses his feet more, or the entire depth of his crease.

The next 12 months may dictate how big his future is at the highest level.

He's the South African version of Michael Bevan.

Duminy of course is young and could still have a very successful Test career, he does need a spell on the sidelines though.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Maybe it was.

I doubt it, and I'd be surprised if he didn't go on to have a great career, but the bowling was amongst the most toothless Australian bowling I've ever seen on that day and even Steyn had little troubles playing it. It was a brilliant knock in the context of the match and series and the pressure faced, but not in terms of the actual attack and ground conditions.
    Hmm, I didn't watch the series live, but saw Johnson and Siddle bowling quite well in a few highlights. Still a damn good knock, even following it on cricinfo that series was incredible.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    He's the South African version of Michael Bevan.
    So Bevan's trouble was the ball turning away from him? Thought it was short-pitched stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So Bevan's trouble was the ball turning away from him? Thought it was short-pitched stuff.
    Duminy isn't crash hot against the short stuff either.

I meant he's a spin bowling left handed middle order batsman who had a weakness exposed very early in his Test Career, which wasn't found out in First Class Cricket. Both Bevan and Duminy look/looked more comfortable in ODIs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information