• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The demise of JP...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the conclusion of the SA v Aus series in Aus last year I thought Duminy an absolute star had arrived. Not only due to the runs he scored in that series, but the matter in which he scored them. He looked composed at the crease, seemed to have loads of time & appeared to be mature beyond his years. I haven't seen much of him since aside from the odd really bad stream on some crappy site.

What's happened since? Was it a case of him just suiting Australian-like pitches? Has he been exposed against spin? Has there been some technical issue exposed or is it merely a case of bad luck & bad form?

Top_Cat

Bad trot and doesn't like the ball up around his ears. Too good not to come back strong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swann certainly produced some pretty damn good deliveries to get rid of him in the SA-vs-Eng series.

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I just think he is in a bad spell. A lot of players who burst on the world stage get for want of a better word found out, bowlers and teams work out plans to bowl at him, they have found a few chinks in his technique and now he must work on them, if he over comes this spell he will be a good player and i think he has enough talent to do so.

chicane

State Captain
Yeah he got owned by the spinners, but still early days. That hundred in Australia certainly was no fluke.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah he got owned by the spinners, but still early days. That hundred in Australia certainly was no fluke.
Maybe it was.

I doubt it, and I'd be surprised if he didn't go on to have a great career, but the bowling was amongst the most toothless Australian bowling I've ever seen on that day and even Steyn had little troubles playing it. It was a brilliant knock in the context of the match and series and the pressure faced, but not in terms of the actual attack and ground conditions.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
But it wasn't just one innings by Duminy in Australia, it was the whole series. The innings I remember vividly is the 20/20 game at the MCG. Duminy comes in with South Africa 3 down for nothing, Shaun Tait bowling like the wind, he just got AB out hit wicket and Duminy then precedes to lap sweep Tait for six and then goes onto to score 78 off 40 odd balls.

Tremendous talent, just can’t play off-spin. Wayne Parnell and ****, even Morne Morkel for ten overs looked head and shoulders more astute at playing off-spin than JP and Prince. Parnell refreshingly played Bhaji with the bat.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes at the moment he looks like a walking wicket when the off-spinners are on, but in Graeme Swann and Harbhajan Singh he won't come up against many better off spinners around at the moment. There are clearly technical issues with him, but inevitably mental ones too now. He must find a way to overcome these problems no matter how ugly it looks in doing so, whether that's the more positive mode he adopts in limited-overs cricket, uses his feet more, or the entire depth of his crease.

The next 12 months may dictate how big his future is at the highest level.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He's the South African version of Michael Bevan.

Duminy of course is young and could still have a very successful Test career, he does need a spell on the sidelines though.

chicane

State Captain
Maybe it was.

I doubt it, and I'd be surprised if he didn't go on to have a great career, but the bowling was amongst the most toothless Australian bowling I've ever seen on that day and even Steyn had little troubles playing it. It was a brilliant knock in the context of the match and series and the pressure faced, but not in terms of the actual attack and ground conditions.
Hmm, I didn't watch the series live, but saw Johnson and Siddle bowling quite well in a few highlights. Still a damn good knock, even following it on cricinfo that series was incredible.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Bevan's trouble was the ball turning away from him? :huh: Thought it was short-pitched stuff.
Duminy isn't crash hot against the short stuff either.

I meant he's a spin bowling left handed middle order batsman who had a weakness exposed very early in his Test Career, which wasn't found out in First Class Cricket. Both Bevan and Duminy look/looked more comfortable in ODIs.

Top_Cat

So Bevan's trouble was the ball turning away from him? :huh: Thought it was short-pitched stuff.
Bigger problem was outside off-stump. The short ones only got him a couple of times (although they did look bad).

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well, as the Australians played him more (and managed to string together a more cohesive attack), a few faults in his technique began to emerge:
1) Short deliveries - he tends to fend at well-directed bouncers and take his eye off the ball - Johnson and Hilfenhaus exposed this weakness a few times
2) Reasonable quality offspin (back in 2008/09, Hauritz wasn't at this stage - he was just a holding bowler)
3) I also think that he has some trouble with deliveries that move inwards

Still, I am surprised at how poor he has been since leaving Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Duminy isn't crash hot against the short stuff either.
Have heard a few people say this, but I must say it doesn't strike me as something that's very likely.
I meant he's a spin bowling left handed middle order batsman who had a weakness exposed very early in his Test Career, which wasn't found out in First Class Cricket. Both Bevan and Duminy look/looked more comfortable in ODIs.
Irony being that Duminy's actually a much better player in the longer format; Bevan was equally excellent at both.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, as the Australians played him more (and managed to string together a more cohesive attack), a few faults in his technique began to emerge:
1) Short deliveries - he tends to fend at well-directed bouncers and take his eye off the ball - Johnson and Hilfenhaus exposed this weakness a few times
2) Reasonable quality offspin (back in 2008/09, Hauritz wasn't at this stage - he was just a holding bowler)
3) I also think that he has some trouble with deliveries that move inwards

Still, I am surprised at how poor he has been since leaving Australia.
Did Hauritz play in that series?

Krezja played in the first Test, I know that much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Took like 1-204 or something and Hauritz replaced him for the next couple despite having been left-out of NSW's team in the most recent SS round.

North and McDonald were then preferred in the leg in South Africa.