Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sehwag - Best Batsman In World Cricket Right Now

Sehwag - Best Batsman In World Cricket Right Now

I know aussie(RIP) will cringe but he is so ****ing great. Silentstriker showed his stats of the last two years which I reproduce -

In the last two years, his average is 60 and he is scoring at S/R of 96. Last 12 months, he averages 71 with a S/R of 101! In ten games. Incredible. (Stats provided by friend Manan Shah).

As Marcuss said in the South Africa in India tour, had he scored his runs at the same rate as Tendulkar, India would have only managed to draw the match. He makes up for India's bowling deficiency (compared to RSA) with his sheer attacking batting.

U19 Captain
    Him Ponting and Kallis I would say.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Sehwag has long been the best sort of batsman to have around in circumstances such as India regularly find themeslves in currently.

That's about all as I'll say.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Yeh, probably. Also I'd rather watch him than all others right now, possibly save Ponting.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16 View Post
    How Ponting? How not Tendulkar?

Banned
    As regards to the topic in discussion, I think Yes he just edges ahead of Tendulkar particularly because he countered Mendis in Lanka which Tendulkar did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    In tests, Ponting is the most prized wicket for the opposition, and I think Sehwag is for India. Ponting still plays with a lot of flair and scores at a good clip, kind of like Brian Lara towards the end of his career, he was still out there to dominate attacks. Tendulkar's role has changed overtime and I understand him toning down a bit. Anyways, in tests, Ponting over Tendulkar for me these days.

Banned
    In tests, Ponting is the most prized wicket for the opposition, and I think Sehwag is for India. Ponting still plays with a lot of flair and scores at a good clip, kind of like Brian Lara towards the end of his career, he was still out there to dominate attacks. Tendulkar's role has changed overtime and I understand him toning down a bit. Anyways, in tests, Ponting over Tendulkar for me these days.
    Ok. I understand it is completely from a personal perspective and not from any fundamental analysis. It cannot be debated.

U19 Debutant
    and amla now, look at his average over the last 2 years, he is averaging near 60

Undoubtedly.. He is the greatest batsman of this decade and it takes REAL talent to score huge centuries with his style of play. Spectators pay to see him bat and the hsppiness he gives ppl is second to none in history.
    He makes up for India's lack of world class bwlers.
    My favourite X1
    Viru Sehwag, Matty Hayden,
    BC Lara, S Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Andrew Flintoff,
    Adam Gilchrist
    S Warne, C Ambrose
    D Steyn, G McGrath

Can't think of anyone better at the moment. I'll never forget how he demoralised our bowlers, it got to the stage where you could tell no one wanted to bowl to him because they'd be going for 4 or 6 every ball. It's not just the runs either, it's how he takes control of the match and lays the foundation for the batsmen to come. He's just keeping the throne warm for Watto though
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    ??

OK read your reply for that. I just can't think of what to say about that, except that the reasons made no sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by Cruxdude; 18-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Yes I think this series establishes Sehwag as the best batsman in the world . Others like Ponting and Kallis who have greater careers are not really dominant today. Despite his rich recent form Tendulkar doesn't measure up to Sehwag over the last couple of years either. Chanderpaul, Sangakarra and Smith who have had some exceptional performances in recent years have dropped back a little in recent series.

Like SS said on the other thread, Sehwag has redefined the nature of test batting. He is scoring at rates which would be considered exceptional in ODI's. He has made run-a-ball hundreds and double hundreds almost seem routine. And these performances aren't coming in dead matches; they have been essential in helping India win on good surfaces against good batting sides like Sri Lanka and now South Africa.

I have a feeling that Sehwag won't age as well as Tendulkar because like Richards he depends too much on his reflexes which will inevitably diminish with age. But if I am wrong and he does manage to continue like this for another 5-6 years he will have a strong case for being the best since Bradman.

Simon Champion!
    Gambhir has nor been far behind for the last year or so.But Sehwag beats him for me.

For Sehwag ,the real test for me will come in England or south africa.

Everywhere else he is currently the best test batsmen.His impact is enormous.

In ODI's though i would not have him among the top3 at the moment.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information