44. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. India

29 65.91%
  • 2. South Africa

5 11.36%
  • 3. Australia

10 22.73%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is number 1 right now? (Feb 2010)

So who is number 1 right now? (Feb 2010)

Who is the number one side in the world right now? Can anything be taken from the series just finished in India? Seems to have raised more questions than it was supposed to answer.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Who is the number one side in the world right now? Can anything be taken from the series just finished in India? Seems to have raised more questions than it was supposed to answer.
    SA came in with 100% resources. India managed to hold on with just 70% resouces or even less, without the spin dens. Definitely India for me. They may not have done 100% for meriting that. But SA did not either.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    India. My reasons here. India tour of RSA later this year to be the decider.
    Last edited by Pratters; 18-02-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Kinda agree with Pasag here. Still No Clear cut winner. India have holes in its bowling, SA in their batting. Infact looking more closely, Aussie team looks more balanced right now.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    It does, but they lost when they played us last time and we haven't met this Aussie side there yet..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Kinda agree with Pasag here. Still No Clear cut winner. India have holes in its bowling, SA in their batting. Infact looking more closely, Aussie team looks more balanced right now.
    I dunno - beating WI & Pakistan at home doesn't cope for being the only side apart from WI & NZ to lose in England in the last 3 years.

It's going to be this way for a while, isn't it? A couple of years ago, most of us were saying that there wouldn't be an outstanding side for a while, and that's exactly where we're at. Perhaps SA look the strongest long term bet if Petersen turns out to be a genuine test opener & Parnell lives up to expectations. But on another day I could argue for India if a couple of their quicks step up to the mark, or Aus if neither of the above happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Aussie side look balanced but lacks resources to take down a batting lineup that of India. SA have a one man army in Steyn.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Have said it a few times now - anyone claiming there's any team who can claim to be number-one from the 2007 season to the present 2009/10 one is making unrealistic claims.

There's no way that we can conclusively say there's a "best" team around since the end of Australia's era in the 2006/07 Ashes. Same way we couldn't say there was any clear "best" from 1986/87 until 1996/97, same way there are plenty of other periods where the same applies in Test history.

All of India, South Africa and Australia are essentially on level-pegging, and are vulnerable too to the likes of England and Sri Lanka.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Best way to prove who's best is to sim it out.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    5 test series home and away all three playing each other on ITC. Who is simming?

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Technically India, but they're so close these days that I don't think you can objectively say India are the best team. The ICC system doesn't really mean much at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    5 test series home and away all three playing each other on ITC. Who is simming?
    Me IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

U19 Captain
    I dont understand why people can clearly put India on the top. Rankings are just rankings, I think South Africa, Australia and India are right up there. I dont see any international side walking up to face the Indian bowling line up and feeling the least bit threatened or intimidated. Their batting line up I think is easily the best in the world though but its really potent strike bowling that wins test matches in the long haul.

It's tough.

On paper? South Africa.

On results? India.

Long-term Depth? Australia.

Not too far off? England.

India in South Africa will be important. South Africa didn't help themselves by not beating England at home.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Opener View Post
    Technically India, but they're so close these days that I don't think you can objectively say India are the best team. The ICC system doesn't really mean much at this stage.
    It never does. It's a rolling thing. Series results only get replaced when another series between the same teams at the same host country happens instead of it.

The reality, though, is that teams have very specific finite "terms". A team is only as good as the players within it, and the fact is that the calibre of teams go up and down, because players get better and worse, and come and go, and there is no way to ensure that this happens at the same time for each team.

Thus the best way to look at who is best is to use human initiative, not a fixed mathematical calculation.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information