• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Craig Kieswetter qualifies for England

FBU

International Debutant
He bowls at between 87 and 90mph consistently, gets abit of movement in the air and off the seam, has a good bouncer (ask Martin Guptill and Anaru Kitchen), is pretty accurate and has a good yorker. He doesn't go for that many runs either, his highest economy rate in List A cricket since 2007 has been 5.40. He's been consistently good for 2 English seasons and in NZ playing domestic cricket there for 2 seasons, and I think he's hugely under-rated tbh. Better option than Sidebottom, Plunkett, Mahmood or Shahzad for me.
I would prefer Plunkett. Collingwood is better as a 6th bowler than a 5th. He has a bowling ODI strike rate of 45.1. Plunkett s/r 34.8.

Kieswetter
Lumb
Strauss
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Flintoff
Swann
Plunkett
Broad
Anderson

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He bowls at between 87 and 90mph consistently, gets abit of movement in the air and off the seam, has a good bouncer (ask Martin Guptill and Anaru Kitchen), is pretty accurate and has a good yorker. He doesn't go for that many runs either, his highest economy rate in List A cricket since 2007 has been 5.40.
That's supposed to do him credit? :blink: From 2007/08 to the day of this post, in England and New Zealand, his one-day economy-rate has been 4.95-an-over! There is no way he's an accurate enough bowler for ODIs, even if that ER is actually a slight improvement on his previous efforts.

As I say, he may have the tools to take plenty of wickets at domestic level however expensive he tends to be, but I don't see him knocking-over ODI top-orders myself. Yes, he does indeed have a better chance of doing that than some of the "wicket-taking" bowlers picked by England in recent times, but I don't think that chance is considerable.
He's been consistently good for 2 English seasons and in NZ playing domestic cricket there for 2 seasons, and I think he's hugely under-rated tbh. Better option than Sidebottom, Plunkett, Mahmood or Shahzad for me.
Being better than Plunkett, Mahmood and the still-very-much-novice Shahzad is no great achievement. There's no way on Earth he's a patch on Sidebottom in my book.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Whether he's good enough to be successful, and whether he's good enough to be picked are unfortunately 2 very different things.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course - and that applies to every player, ever. As a selector, all you can do is pick the best players - you cannot control whether those best players are good enough.

Personally I don't feel Napier is among the best five OD bowlers in the country, though admittedly he is close and has always been closer than quite a few of the bowlers picked for ODIs in the last decade.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of course - and that applies to every player, ever. As a selector, all you can do is pick the best players - you cannot control whether those best players are good enough.

Personally I don't feel Napier is among the best five OD bowlers in the country, though admittedly he is close and has always been closer than quite a few of the bowlers picked for ODIs in the last decade.
Flintoff, Swann, Broad and Anderson (for now) - who else is there in the country though?

Napier might not be ideal but he can't be far away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Mascarenhas can get back to his best in 2010 I still have hope for him - if not then Napier is indeed a fair candidate if everyone who played last season returns similar figures this, but as I say - I don't expect him to achieve even if he does get the call.

However, as I've noted many times, as a selector all you can do is make the best of what's available and England in ODIs have suffered for 20 years for failing to do that.

The_roc

U19 Captain
And it's the tiny ground rather than the runway-esque deck that makes Taunton most bat-friendly.
Being able to rely on the bounce means batsman have confidence in playing their shots.

Also, the thought of landing one in the river is a tempting site.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Napier might not be ideal but he can't be far away.
Don't know what has happened to Napier. He had a top season 2 years ago, but didn't appear to do a lot last year. Also doesn't appear to be able to cut it in the IPL.

That said I would still prefer to see him ahead of Wright.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Being able to rely on the bounce means batsman have confidence in playing their shots.
I realise that - the lack of seam-movement or turn also helps more than a little. But the biggest boon is the fact that if you time one and beat the infield it's a guaranteed boundary, and if you get a decent bit on one in the air it's probably six.