• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Craig Kieswetter qualifies for England

L Trumper

State Regular
It will certainly be interesting to see what would happen if prior was injured. Going by most comments on here it seems kieswetter is the better batsman, but davies may be the better keeper at the moment. Is that how people see it?
Yeah pretty much. But Kieswetter should start playing in odis, may be in bng tour itself.
If prior injured, i personally pick foster for test squad but between kies and davies, latter seems to be a better option for tests.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
By the term 'keeper' I don't refer specificially to keeping. I simply mean that he's the best option to wear the gloves for England. From what i've seen of him his keeping is fine and his batting more than makes up for what little blemishes he may have with the gloves. And let's not forget he's only 22 so he's very much in his cricketing infancy; his wicket keeping can only go up.

Although admittedly I really don't like Prior being in the England squad so i'm naturally a bit in favour of any other keeper's inclusion anyway. But I really like Kieswetter. Not so much to the point that i'd walk him down the aisle, but i'm deffo talking a night out at a lovely restraunt terms.
Obviously didn't see him drop Murray Goodwin early on before he made a triple hundred IIRC.
Once Kieswetter starts scoring more runs away from the road at Taunton I'll rate him higher.

L Trumper

State Regular
Still worth a try in odis though. Considering prior is poor, and no one seems to find a position for him in the squad. Kies has the ability to utilise the powerplays, better try him against banglasdeh and if his keeping is without mistakes can go to T20 WC. That would make ENG to have lot of big hitters in the team. KP, Morgan, Colly, Kies, Swann ,Wright seems a good T20 batters.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In Tests obviously Prior is doing juuuuuuust fine at the moment, but it's good to have contingency plans. Davies and Kieswetter are both just that. And I've always considered Kieswetter a better OD batsman than Davies, and clearly both are miles better there than Prior. Whoever does best on this A tour - clearly it's Kieswetter so far - should be being first in line.

Anyways if this "gap2" hadn't PM'd me a little while back I'd begin to think we had a 'bot.
Yeah I was going to bring him up as a bot in the mod forum before I saw he'd actually replied to your VM. Still obviously an advertising plot though. I see he's banned now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It will certainly be interesting to see what would happen if prior was injured. Going by most comments on here it seems kieswetter is the better batsman, but davies may be the better keeper at the moment. Is that how people see it?
Dunno, Davies' wicketkeeping doesn't seem to be as much of a discussed topic as Kieswetter's but I don't really see there's any reason to be declaring either clearly the better batsman.

Personally have thought a fair bit of Davies' batting for quite a while, longer than I have of Kieswetter's. At least, in the longer game; in the shorter it's more the other way around.

TBH I hope Davies can make the step-up, purely because I've had my eye on him for such a long time it'd be a disappointment for him not to, but if either of them make said step and do a good job I can't say I'll be that sorry.

The_roc

U19 Captain
In ODIs there is no justification for him being ahead of Davies whatsoever if you look at county records
According to Cricinfo Kieswetter has a better batting average than Davies in all 3 disciplines (4 day game, 40/50 over and 20/20)

Sir Alex

Banned
He is an exciting talent. Given the direness of Matt Prior in the ODI format, Keiswetter should be a shoo in. I hope he emulates what Dhoni did and slowly work his way into the test team. He is still very young and can improve his keeping. Definitely one am going to keep a close watch on.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He plays for Somerset, what do you expect?

So are we saying we should think less of Viv Richards because he played at Taunton?
If he scored most of his runs there before playing international cricket, you should probably think twice, yes. Not sure how Viv is a pertinent example here though, as hindsight is far from pertinent...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He also plays half his cricket at Taunton.
Exactly so. Averages 51.92 on the not-so-green, green concrete of home & hasn't made a ton away from it.

Clearly a talented boy, but a work in progress still. Although, judging by the (indecent) haste he's been thrust into the Loins' set up he has fans in high places.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He plays for Somerset, what do you expect?

So are we saying we should think less of Viv Richards because he played at Taunton?
It'd depend - if he had a notably better record there than elsewhere then yes. FTR, Richards averaged 54 for Somerset at Taunton between 1977 and 1986, which is about 8 runs higher than his average in inter-Caribbean cricket back home (46), and virtually no different whatsoever to his First-Class average for Somerset elsewhere (just under 55). It's also a bit below his average for West Indian rep sides outside Tests (58).

Kieswetter on the other hand presently averages 52 at Taunton and less than 30 elsewhere. Which is a substantial difference. (That's at First-Class level; in OD cricket there's not much difference, 40.71 to 37.94.)

Last edited:

The_roc

U19 Captain
No because Viv didn't play nearly half of his cricket at Taunton.
Viv played over 1000 first class games and about 300 at international level. Don't know the exact split but he must have played an awful lot at Taunton.

Kieswetter and Davies have both had good seasons (Keiswetter was PCA ranked 3 and Davies 4), but Phil Mustard had a cracking season a couple of years ago but bombed out when he got his England chance. Additionally, he has never repeated his top county form since.

I think they will both get an England chance, it all depends who can get the job done at the higher level. For me Prior aint getting the job done in the shorter form of the game and needs a rest.

If Prior was injured for a test I would choose Foster who is the best gloveman in the country.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Viv played over 1000 first class games and about 300 at international level. Don't know the exact split but he must have played an awful lot at Taunton.
Yeah, I binned my comment. I'm not best placed to comment on Viv's career.

Edit : 70 matches out of 507.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kieswetter and Davies have both had good seasons (Keiswetter was PCA ranked 3 and Davies 4), but Phil Mustard had a cracking season a couple of years ago but bombed out when he got his England chance. Additionally, he has never repeated his top county form since.
Mustard had never repeated it before, either; difference is, Kieswetter and Davies have. Both are clearly miles better batsmen than Mustard.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly so. Averages 51.92 on the not-so-green, green concrete of home & hasn't made a ton away from it.

Clearly a talented boy, but a work in progress still. Although, judging by the (indecent) haste he's been thrust into the Loins' set up he has fans in high places.
Not without good reason if his performances for them are anything to go by tbf.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not without good reason if his performances for them are anything to go by tbf.
No, true. Has rather justified the love. I just have a nagging suspicion that we were at least partly motivated by the fear he might rediscover his inner yarp if we hadn't grasped him unto our collective bosom.