• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I used top-6 is because I wanted to highlight the difference in the difficulty of run-scoring in the two periods. The reason is quite simple: Batsmen are better able to take advantage of the flatter tracks than tail-enders. For example it makes little difference to Chris Martin whether a pitch is flat or offers help for the bowlers. Whereas it make a big difference to the output of a Rahul Dravid say. He can take advantage of a flat pitch much better than Martin. So if you want to highlight the difference in batting conditions between 2 periods you need to filter the tail-enders in theory. But including them actually didn't make much of a difference in this case.
Poor example that, Chris Martin's clearly the exception to the rule, I'd venture to say that flatter tracks would make a difference to a half-decent lower order batsmen like a Steyn, Harris or a Haruitz.

JBH001

International Regular
You care, Bagapath? You should have used a Luke Skywalker jpg image for that line. Instant +100 e-points.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Exactly.

Would also love to see how many "solitary" 100s did Tendulkar and Ponting make in their respective careers as well.
That would reflect the quality of batsmen they had with them more than anything else... I don't see why it should be a detraction to your record if you have better batsman in your side than the one you are being compared with.... And using that logic, Lara would end up being miles better than both, given the quality of batsmen he had with him for the majority of their careers..

FWIW, I have always believed Sachin > Ponting.... But it is getting past ridiculous if someone is using the averages to make that point, given that for a pretty decent period of time Ponting AND so many others have averaged higher than Sachin.

To put it simply, Sachin has had his slump and has recovered well here.. Punter is goiing through his... There is no reason to think he WON'T stage a comeback just like Sachin... The symptoms are similar, people... Elbow injuries, being late with footwork more than anything else... There are guys here who wrote off Sachin too early and ended up looking silly.. It happened with Lara, it happened with Sachin.. No reason why it will not happen with Ponting. :) They are greats for a reason...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Problem is when it moves from a discussion to each trying to "pwn" the other.
NOt to forget when people start claiming that McGrath "owned" Sachin or Sachin "owned" McGrath.. I am sorry but McGrath never dominated Sachin and Sachin never dominated McGrath for any reasonable period of time... McGrath got away with minimum damage from Sachin when he played well and Sachin managed to play out McGrath well when he played well... And McGrath got the better of him on the few times he didn't play well... You can say one got the better of the other when the other was not in his best form, which is pretty much what you expect in a match up between greats. And that's that... Neither "owned" the other.

shankar

International Debutant
Poor example that, Chris Martin's clearly the exception to the rule, I'd venture to say that flatter tracks would make a difference to a half-decent lower order batsmen like a Steyn, Harris or a Haruitz.
It doesn't make a difference to point I was making. Sure a Steyn,Harris or a Hauritz would be able to take advantage of a flat track to an extent but a proper batsman would be able to take much more advantage. Hence the need to look at top-6 averages.

Craig

World Traveller
Nah, Darren Bravo (you know, the next Lara) will be better then Ponting and Tendulkar combined. You heard it here first.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't make a difference to point I was making. Sure a Steyn,Harris or a Hauritz would be able to take advantage of a flat track to an extent but a proper batsman would be able to take much more advantage. Hence the need to look at top-6 averages.
Sorry mate Zinzan has more posts than you so you're wrong. let the discussion end

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Darren Bravo (you know, the next Lara) will be better then Ponting and Tendulkar combined. You heard it here first.
Red has more posts than most here so I'm tempted to think he has the final decision in this matter. let the discussion die.

Sir Alex

Banned
What makes you think he'd have been as good as Warne had they swapped homes?

I am not talking about growing up in that environment and learning to play there, etc. I am talking about what their records as they stand suggest.
Interesting argument. If one replaced Warne with Sachin and Murali with Ponting, and bowling with batting, it sounds like a clincher. :ph34r:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A graphite strip at the back of the bat doesn't aid footwork, shot selection, balance or timing. I don't understand how a strip on the back of the bat would cause "unacceptable damage" to the ball anyway.

Using banned substances will help a fast bowler run faster and deliver the ball quicker, so comparing this with something like that is ridiculous. Or ball tampering, though the legal-illegal boundaries on that issue are much harder to define.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, whilst it was silly to use the bat, to equate it to druge cheating is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read.