Cricket Player Manager
Page 80 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1339

Thread: ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

  1. #1186
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha right now in the SA vs Ind game the commentators are discussing how Kallis and Sachin have the techniques to ensure they play well despite ageing. Saying that even if they slightly lose reflexes or hand-eye coordination, they still have the technique to score runs.

    Basically saying exactly what I said back in 2007 when I predicted the downfall of Ricky and the rise of Sachin and Kallis despite ageing.

    i.e. I am awesome
    It'll be interesting if it works out that way and why, even though I think all three are very comparable, I think I'll rate Tendulkar just a little bit higher than the other two when their careers are over. Ponting had the natural talent and eye to be a world class batsman by his 25th birthday even though his technique wasn't completely refined yet, while Kallis (assuming what you're saying turns out correct) has the technique to continue to be world class after his 35th birthday even though his reflexes aren't quite what they were. Tendulkar,, though, has done both.

    I also think it's a great example of why comparing players only at their peak is pretty flawed. Having the tools to be a world class asset to your team for 20 years is so much more useful, skilful and important than averaging 75 in your best two-year period as opposed to 65.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  2. #1187
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    Well I mentioned in another thread that Dravid and Lara's careers contravene my theory, but I never made predictions regarding them in particular. But if life were simple, in theory Dravid should have followed the path of Kallis and Sachin, rather than Ponting.

    Anyway, I'm not making a judgment on their careers in my theory/finding. Not saying Kallis is better than Ponting, or Sachin is better than Dravid or whatever. It was just a prediction that Ponting didn't have a chance of catching Sachin's total runs and centuries record because age would catch up to him (and the fact that Australia don't keep their captains as batsman alone) whereas Kallis was a huge threat to Sachin's records because he's a run making machine.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  3. #1188
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,117
    Don Bradman is the best.

  4. #1189
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I heard the whole thing actually..they said they get the impression from Ponting that he is not enjoying his cricket whereas Tendulkar is enjoying it as much as he was when he started playing cricket
    FTR, black_warrior, I haven't got your email so far.

    I agree with GI Joe. It is a chicken and egg situation. But as someone who is trying to follow my passion (like cricketers/ writers/ filmmakers) and as someone who is not very good at what he does but wants to get better (like most human beings in their chosen professions and more specifically someone like ajit agarkar) I can assure you that it is difficult to do anything for the pleasure of doing it alone. You need the results to keep you going. I think Tendulkar is enjoying the game more because his hard work in the nets is paying off in the middle and Ponting has stopped shoulders because no matter what he does, things are not going his way. That was I lean slightly more towards the theory that things will have to work for you to a certain extent at least and then you draw strength from it and keep building on the momentum and then you enjoy what you do.
    Last edited by bagapath; 03-01-2011 at 04:07 AM.


  5. #1190
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,302
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    FTR, black_warrior, I haven't got your email so far.

    I agree with GI Joe. It is a chicken and egg situation. But as someone who is trying to follow my passion (like cricketers/ writers/ filmmakers) and as someone who is not very good at what he does but wants to get better (like most human beings in their chosen professions and more specifically someone like ajit agarkar) I can assure you that it is difficult to do anything for the pleasure of doing it alone. You need the results to keep you going. I think Tendulkar is enjoying the game more because his hard work in the nets is paying off in the middle and Ponting has stopped shoulders because no matter what he does, things are not going his way. That was I lean slightly more towards the theory that things will have to work for you to a certain extent at least and then you draw strength from it and keep building on the momentum and then you enjoy what you do.
    good theory

  6. #1191
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    16,147
    If you explain Ponting's downfall to reflexes ,then how does it explain Dravid's?

    He arguably had a even better technique at his prime than Kallis or Tendulkar.

  7. #1192
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,117
    Ponting's downfall ain't due to reflexes imo. It coincides pretty directly with his need to try and rebuild a failing team. Too much pressure, not enough time to focus on himself, can't keep his mind on his batting = decline.

  8. #1193
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    That is convenient but he was falling to poor pull shots in 2007/08, when there wasn't much presure.

    His reflexes and eye coordination has failed him plenty of times in the last 3 years, not just 6 months.

  9. #1194
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That is convenient but he was falling to poor pull shots in 2007/08, when there wasn't much presure.

    His reflexes and eye coordination has failed him plenty of times in the last 3 years, not just 6 months.
    The reason I think his reflexes are still good though is because 1. he wasn't even that old when this decline started and 2. he clearly still has the ability to time shots to perfection after his confidence is there (e.g. 200 vs Pak - he was failing badly to begin with, but then suddenly looked like the Ponting of old. If his reflexes were failing he shouldn't be able to do that.).

  10. #1195
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,689
    Reflexes failing doesn't mean you turn into a bunny mate. It just means you won't be averaging 50-70 every year.

  11. #1196
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Reflexes failing doesn't mean you turn into a bunny mate. It just means you won't be averaging 50-70 every year.
    I didn't say it means you turn into a bunny. But if your reflexes aren't as good as they used to be you would expect him not to be able to time shots so well anymore - yet he clearly still can, for long periods of time, shot after shot against quality bowling. You can't tell me this is a guy whose reflexes are failing:

    YouTube - Ricky Ponting 209 v Pakistan, 3rd Test 2009/10

    Also, another point against that theory is that his ODI form over the same 3 or so years hasn't been that bad (2007 and 2009 were actually very good) - and if anything you need better reflexes in ODI's.

  12. #1197
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    If you explain Ponting's downfall to reflexes ,then how does it explain Dravid's?

    He arguably had a even better technique at his prime than Kallis or Tendulkar.
    I disagree.

    1. Technique comprises not of defence alone.

    2. He had this tendency to play every ****ing ball no matter how far off the off stump it was, leading to an increased chance to nick one behind, how he got out often.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  13. #1198
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    16,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I disagree.

    1. Technique comprises not of defence alone.

    2. He had this tendency to play every ****ing ball no matter how far off the off stump it was, leading to an increased chance to nick one behind, how he got out often.
    Not in his prime he didn't .

    It is easy to say now but when he was on top,he used to leave ridiculous deliveries and also score on the offside pretty much too.
    Used to get out IIRC,more to the incutter in those days.

  14. #1199
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,525
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I didn't say it means you turn into a bunny. But if your reflexes aren't as good as they used to be you would expect him not to be able to time shots so well anymore - yet he clearly still can, for long periods of time, shot after shot against quality bowling. You can't tell me this is a guy whose reflexes are failing:

    YouTube - Ricky Ponting 209 v Pakistan, 3rd Test 2009/10

    Also, another point against that theory is that his ODI form over the same 3 or so years hasn't been that bad (2007 and 2009 were actually very good) - and if anything you need better reflexes in ODI's.
    *ahem* he did get dropped on 0 and looked horrid for his first 50...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  15. #1200
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    *ahem* he did get dropped on 0 and looked horrid for his first 50...
    Which is why I said "he was failing badly to begin with, but then suddenly looked like the Ponting of old". The fact that he failed to begin with was actually why I raised that particular example - if his reflexes were worse he shouldn't be able to suddenly switch on and become a new player for the rest of the innings (and the 89 the next innings, which was flawless). It tells me his problem is with confidence, and not a something more permanent like diminished reflexes.

Page 80 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The stats do not do him justice!
    By rivera213 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 739
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 11:02 AM
  2. Families Draft - Voting Thread
    By Michaelf7777777 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-06-2009, 06:04 AM
  3. Northern Hemisphere Vs Southern
    By taitmachine in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
  4. Tendulkar vs Kallis
    By usarav in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 28-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •