• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting's knock in Old Trafford 2005 was fabulous. Definitely his best in terms of strokeplay under pressure, against a great attack, on a 5th day track. Never looked like getting out.

Bun

Banned
Ponting's knock in Old Trafford 2005 was fabulous. Definitely his best in terms of strokeplay under pressure, against a great attack, on a 5th day track. Never looked like getting out.
Agreed. It was perhaps the best individual knock in that Ashes, from purely qualitative perspective. There might have more "impactful" knocks, but for craftsmanship nothing comes close.

Top_Cat

Big call in a series full of them, though! Marcus Trescothick's 90 at Birmingham was a mini-classic for mine. I'd put Ponting's just behind it but can definitely see why others would rate it higher.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Easily.

Never mind saving the Test, until Warne got out Ponting had actually given Australia an outside shot at winning the Test.

And although Ponting getting out added to the drama of that Test and series, he really deserved to walk back to the pavilion with a standing ovation ringing in his ears after deadbatting the last ball of the game to end up unbeaten.
TBF, he did receive a pretty lengthy ovation when he was dismissed at Old Trafford. Robelinda uploaded a video of the knock and right at the end of the video you can see part of the ovation.

Satguru

Banned
Always love the tons in test matches that save a game too. I always thought Ponting's ton in the second dig of the third test of the 05 Ashes campaign was arguably his greatest. Had a real "boy stood on the burning deck" quality to it.

I thought it his finest hour.
Just watched this innings again on youtube. Stunning, stunning innings, easily ponting's greatest in terms of importance, significance as well as the situation in which it was made.
In many ways, its such a similar innings to Sachin's classic 136 at Chennai.
Both centuries against their most bitter rivals in the 4th innings chasing a big total, played with little to no support except for one or two from the lower middle order, and both "choked" (:ph34r:) and couldnt quite stay there till the end. Only difference was that the Aussie tailenders managed to survive, unlike our **** tail.

True champions, both of them

jan

State Vice-Captain
When I first got interested in cricket I was Tendulkar-ed. The greatest batsman of all time, leading run maker of all time, most centuries in both formats and such. There simply cant be anyone better it seemed...

But as time went I learned more about the game. There are so may great players, great teams and great perfomances that I started to dislike all these "the greates whoever ever" threads. However Tendulkar and Ponting would be my automatic first pick for any such thread. Great dudes both and I consider myself lucky to become a cricket fan in their era (though its obviously the end of it).

Spikey

i like how even in ponting's decline everyone is comparing him to sachin...'don't give up on him look at sachin...!'

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
We all know about his current form, that is not the point. It is up to personal preference and personal subjective criteria here. For me, I saw him outscore Lara and Tendulkar at his peak and that is why I will always have a very high regard for him regardless of what the Australian media would have me believe now.