• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do any of you guys remember Tendulkar getting Lara out in the final of the Hero Cup in the match where Kumble took 6/12? Seems like ages ago.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Do any of you guys remember Tendulkar getting Lara out in the final of the Hero Cup in the match where Kumble took 6/12? Seems like ages ago.
Yeah of course. Remember Sachin's last over against SA in the semifinal, too. Seems like yesterday :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't remember much about it. Remember how he appealed against Lara from the slips in the match against WI and how joyful he was when Lara was given out. And of course remember every single incident of that Ind-SL semifinal, because I was present in the Eden Gardens, a school-kid trying to stop angry men behaving like school-kids.
God if I was at Eden Gardens that day I would have felt like punching so many people.

****in disgrace.

bagapath

International Captain
Of course. Sachin's medium pace was good enough to send that off stump cartwheeling 10 feet towards third man. The same day she said no to me. Feels like yesterday.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
When I look back at the emotions involved those days, I believe the biggest days of Sachin-Lara cricketing rivalry was in the period 1992-96 or so (and Lara winning the battle till that moment; showing promise of becoming the clear-cut 2nd best batsman ever). Then came the relative slump in form of Lara in the later part of the 90's, and Tendulkar reached new hights. Lara came back in the early 00's, and boy did he come back strong! That coupled with Tendulkar's tennis elbow and his relative slump in form made the rivalry interesting again, and rightly so. But the excitement didn't match the magical moments of 1992-96, at least for me (or was it because I was not a school-kid any more?).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ha I can't believe I am about to say this but will:

Just because someone scores a hundred on debut against a very good attack in tough conditions doesn't really mean much tbh. But scoring them afterwards and on a consistent basis is the important thing.

Just like how Hughes became the youngest player ever to score 2 centuries in a Test match on a bouncy pitch against good fast bowlers, but later struggled with the short ball in just his next series.
It does make sense if the technique is being questioned, though. You don't make a 100 in those circumstances unless you are equipped to do so, debut or no debut.

vcs

When I look back at the emotions involved those days, I believe the biggest days of Sachin-Lara cricketing rivalry was in the period 1992-96 or so (and Lara winning the battle till that moment; showing promise of becoming the clear-cut 2nd best batsman ever). Then came the relative slump in form of Lara in the later part of the 90's, and Tendulkar reached new hights. Lara came back in the early 00's, and boy did he come back strong! That coupled with Tendulkar's tennis elbow and his relative slump in form made the rivalry interesting again, and rightly so. But the excitement didn't match the magical moments of 1992-96, at least for me (or was it because I was not a school-kid any more?).
So true. Lara with the 375 and 501*, Tendulkar with his consistency through the '90s and brilliance against Warne in '98, Lara's 200 odd and 153* in '99, it was just amazing.

It's a shame India-WI played very few exciting series against each other, '94 was good, but India's tours there have been a damp squib and after 2002 they have struggled to compete in general.

EDIT : And the intensity and passion of India vs. Pakistan in '90s is simply unmatched, even though it was just ODI cricket.. man, those games were wars.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Remember thinking it was a horrible move.. Azhar had brought on Jadeja and Lara clobbered him in true Lara style and the next thing we see, it is another part timer.. :) Think Azhar got that one right. Lara hit a boundary and got carried away and tried the impossible and got bowled. Still think Prabhakar, Kapil and Sachin got the "real" wickets in that match.. Kumble juz polished off a pretty long tail. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ha I can't believe I am about to say this but will:

Just because someone scores a hundred on debut against a very good attack in tough conditions doesn't really mean much tbh. But scoring them afterwards and on a consistent basis is the important thing.

Just like how Hughes became the youngest player ever to score 2 centuries in a Test match on a bouncy pitch against good fast bowlers, but later struggled with the short ball in just his next series.
Exactly. See Lou Vincent.

Only problem Sehwag's debut hundred wasn't againts a very good attack in tough conditions.

vcs

I find it plain annoying how Sehwag's debut hundred in SA when India were 4 down for nothing is being belittled. It's one thing to think that a batsman is not great but totally another to not give one his due for any of his good knocks. Even average or merely good batsmen can play a few wonderful knocks (think Mark Waugh). Just say that Sehwag's debut hundred was good but he doesn't play those knocks often enough and that will sound less desperate.
:laugh::laugh:

Is it really that hard?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Or that the said bowlers were actually in some form.
For WI Dillon & Collins yea, but Cuffy & Sandford no. That Indian batting line-up should have been able to handle them.

But overall its definately due to India still been piss poor tourist. You lost in ZIM 98/99 as well (although it was an only test) & in England 96 againts county ENGs second string attack.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I find it plain annoying how Sehwag's debut hundred in SA when India were 4 down for nothing is being belittled. It's one thing to think that a batsman is not great but totally another to not give one his due for any of his good knocks. Even average or merely good batsmen can play a few wonderful knocks (think Mark Waugh). Just say that Sehwag's debut hundred was good but he doesn't play those knocks often enough and that will sound less desperate.
Who said Sehwag's hundred on due isn't getting due?. It is reconised as one of the more better debut test innings.

But as already mentioned scoring runs/taking a big wicket haul on your debut doesn't mean much since you are knew & teams haven't figured you out yet. Many many cricketers throughout test history have good brilliant debuts & fell of spectacularly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed but it isn't like Sehwag has done jack since that debut ton-201* Galle,195 Melbourne,150 Adelaide,309 Multan,293 Mumbai,Chennai 08*2 (SA an Eng)...
None of those innings fit the criteria of runs againts a quality pace attack on a helpul pitch or bowlers which could expose his technical flaws. Like the one which caused him to average 14 in SA 06/07, 10 in NZ 02/03 & 19 vs ENG 05/06.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It does make sense if the technique is being questioned, though. You don't make a 100 in those circumstances unless you are equipped to do so, debut or no debut.
No. Its simply because you are knew & your weaknesses aren't figured out yet.

Sehwag smashed an average SA attack on debut on a flat pitch (95% of that test). When Ntini evolved as a test bowler from the novice he was in that 2001/02, for example when Sehwag toured SA 06/07 & in IND 07/08 he along with farrrrr better SA attacks exposed Sehwag's technical flaws the became common knowledge to bowlers worldwide.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No. Its simply because you are knew & your weaknesses aren't figured out yet.
Ah, okay. That explains why Hayden wasn't an All Time Great straight in his early stages. All the bowlers he faced initially were new to him, and so they made merry. Then he came back having figured their weaknesses out, and proceeded to expose them for the Green Track Bullies they were.

Fusion

Global Moderator
EDIT : And the intensity and passion of India vs. Pakistan in '90s is simply unmatched, even though it was just ODI cricket.. man, those games were wars.
Very true. While they're still enjoyable, India/Pak matches these days don't elicit the same emotional intensity out of me as the one's from the '90s. Probably the over-exposure of India/Pak matches in the last decade has a lot to do with that.

vcs

Very true. While they're still enjoyable, India/Pak matches these days don't elicit the same emotional intensity out of me as the one's from the '90s. Probably the over-exposure of India/Pak matches in the last decade has a lot to do with that.
Also, the characters made those battles memorable... the 2 W's, Miandad, Malik, Ijaz Ahmed, Inzy, Anwar, Sohail, Saqlain, Tendulkar, Azhar, Ganguly, Venkatesh Prasad... :ph34r:

Last edited: