• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just because someone scores a hundred on debut against a very good attack in tough conditions doesn't really mean much tbh. But scoring them afterwards and on a consistent basis is the important thing.

:laugh:!!

Definitely the last thing I would ever expect to see you post.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The MCG and Galle knocks were fabulous innings, he scored well over 50% of the team runs both times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You know, I will freely and happily admit that Sehwag's debut ton was simply awesome. His driving straight was great. Seeing that partnership with Sachin was errie- Sehwag really looked like Sachin back then. The way he hit the ball so clean was a joy to watch.
It's funny how until around 2002/03 Sehwag was known as the "Sachin clone".

**** me if you said that now it'd be downright ridiculous.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's funny how until around 2002/03 Sehwag was known as the "Sachin clone".

**** me if you said that now it'd be downright ridiculous.
There are still a lot of similarities between some of their shots IMO. Footwork's obviously extremely different but there's a lot of Tendulkar in Sehwag's head position, bat arc etc, especially when they're playing straight.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also off the pads IMO.

But if you put them side by side now (like they used to do) it wouldn't be really as identical as it was back then.

In a way a large part is because Sehwag has made his own reputation as well obviously. Stamped himself out of Sachin's shadow.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also off the pads IMO.

But if you put them side by side now (like they used to do) it wouldn't be really as identical as it was back then.

In a way a large part is because Sehwag has made his own reputation as well obviously. Stamped himself out of Sachin's shadow.
Yeah they'll obviously look similar off the pads because there's minimal footwork involved - it's all about keeping your head still, staying balanced and bringing your bat down straight, which they both do exceptionally well and exceptionally similarly.

vcs

Also off the pads IMO.

I thought WC 2003 was the last time Sachin and Sehwag sort of "reversed roles", it was awesome to watch.

Sehwag is just incredible, in a Gilchrist-type way. He isn't in anyone's shadow.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It was only 9 years ago! Thats nothing! I'm sure there's plenty of guys who can recall cricket in detail from the 70's and 80's.
Personally, I can't remember jack unless I make it a point to remember something particular.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I tend to remember stuff in cricket matches for long time too. For example, for the sheer impression left on my mind, I still rate Tendulkar's 90 against AUS in WC96 as one of his best 5 ODI knocks. Very controlled and dominating innings that when wickets were falling all around. It was a heartbreak (as it always used to be in 1990's) when he got out to wide ball by Mark Waugh.

Let's see how many people remember that innings :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I can remember generally what happened (if a player did well or how a bowling attack did, etc) but if you tell me a score of a player I usually don't remember when it happened.

vcs

I tend to remember stuff in cricket matches for long time too. For example, for the sheer impression left on my mind, I still rate Tendulkar's 90 against AUS in WC96 as one of his best 5 ODI knocks. Very controlled and dominating innings that when wickets were falling all around. It was a heartbreak (as it always used to be in 1990's) when he got out to wide ball by Mark Waugh.

*raises hand*

90(84), stumped off a wide one. What an innings. Hit Warne over the head off a half-tracker off the first ball he bowled. Also hit a six off McGrath IIRC. Great knock.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

I don't remember much about it. Remember how he appealed against Lara from the slips in the match against WI and how joyful he was when Lara was given out. And of course remember every single incident of that Ind-SL semifinal, because I was present in the Eden Gardens, a school-kid trying to stop angry men behaving like school-kids. Yeah, and remember the opening ceremony there, too. Remember Jadeja taking on Waqar younis in the slog overs in the quarter-final, and the famed Pakistani middle-order crumbling after a good start provided by Sohail and Anwar.

Last edited: