• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
That Mark Waugh knock was pure class, he looked SO smooth, like the old days, just eased the ball to the fence. True to his reputation it was of the rare innings where he really did play amazingly off his pads a lot, the Pak bowlers including Akram had no idea that afternoon, Gilly and Waugh tore up Pak good and proper. New arses were being handed out every few overs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
A draw suggests the pitch didn't break up. Big difference playing spin on day 1 compared to day 4 and 5 is my point.

Mate, I agree, he played spin pretty well in 2008. But doing it twice is surely better? For a lot of his knocks he barely faced spin because he was out by the pace bowlers before he even faced Kumble and Harbhajan or Mishra and Harbhajan.

Anyway I've never once really believe Ponting couldn't play spin. Just believed that Harbhajan had a mental edge over him.
Firslty how does a draw suggest the test pitch didn't break?. The pitch cerainly did, its just that AUS have a spinner capable of utilising that wearing pitch.

Secondly although yes it is a big difference playing playing on day 4 or day 5 compared to day 1 or 2. It wasn't as if Ponting's struggles in IND 96, 98 & 2001 was with him failing to score runs specifically on day 4 or 5 wickets. He got dismissed cheapy because his technique back then when he pushed forward with hard hans early in his innings afftected his play (most alarmingly in 2001), whether he was batting on day s 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 on tours to IND between 96-2001.

In 2008 that deficiency was corrected (although it was corrected since 2004 series, but injury prevented him from showing it throughout that series properly) & it continued in the recent 2010 series.

So this seems like a bit of goal post shifting argument since for most the decade as i said before. The drumbeat was, Ponting needs to score a hundred in India to prove his credentials againts spin. He did so, while never looking uncomfortable againts the spin in either of the 08 & 10 series compared to 96.98 & 01.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie : It wasn't a full strength SA attack when Sehwag scored a hundred there on his debut?
Technically no. Donald didn't play in that series. But he well passed his peak ATS anyway, so him playing instead of Hayward ATT wouldn't have made much of difference. Since the entire SA attack was not good as was shown by by the peformances they produced in AUS 3 months after the home series vs IND. Given that except for Pollock all the rest were either passed their peak (Donald, Klusener) or had not peaked yet (Ntini, Hayward).

The quality SA attack was the one he faced in 2006, in which he averaged 14 for the series. Thats series he needs to correct, since he will be facing a stronger SA attack this time once all SA's main quick, bowlers are fit.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Technically no. Donald didn't play in that series. But he well passed his peak ATS anyway, so him playing instead of Hayward ATT wouldn't have made much of difference. Since the entire SA attack was not good as was shown by by the peformances they produced in AUS 3 months after the home series vs IND. Given that except for Pollock all the rest were either passed their peak (Donald, Klusener) or had not peaked yet (Ntini, Hayward).

The quality SA attack was the one he faced in 2006, in which he averaged 14 for the series. Thats series he needs to correct, since he will be facing a stronger SA attack this time once all SA's main quick, bowlers are fit.
Still they had India 4 down for not much, took 20 wickets in the match and won convincingly. Bah, there's not much point continuing this.

Bottom line, Sehwag's record in SA is no worse than Ponting's in India and he has had far fewer chances at it. We'll see how he goes this time round.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Still they had India 4 down for not much, took 20 wickets in the match and won convincingly. Bah, there's not much point continuing this.

Bottom line, Sehwag's record in SA is no worse than Ponting's in India and he has had far fewer chances at it. We'll see how he goes this time round.
Well back then India were pretty piss poor away from home even with that legendary middle-order. Average ZIM pace attacks in 2001 & WI attacks in 2002 caused you stuttur badly away from away. That average SA attack in 01/02 was no different.

Yes to the second part.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Well back then India were pretty piss poor away from home even with that legendary middle-order. Average ZIM pace attacks in 2001 & WI attacks in 2002 caused you stuttur badly away from away. That average SA attack in 01/02 was no different.

Yes to the second part.
Or that the said bowlers were actually in some form.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I should have mentioned he's had continued problems against Harbhajan since 2001.

I meant to say the issue of him playing spin has stuck, when in reality its a mental issue against one particular bowler.
What more, he's only really been Harbhajan's bunny in India. In Aus he averages 44 against him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What more, he's only really been Harbhajan's bunny in India. In Aus he averages 44 against him.
Ya that too in just a few grounds in India (in the grounds where Harbhajan took his wicket)...Otherwise, he dominated Harbhajan in India, too.

I'm just pulling your leg, fyi :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Harbhajan still took him a couple of times in the last series that we played in Aus, Kumble brought him on early a few times and it worked at least once.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I find it plain annoying how Sehwag's debut hundred in SA when India were 4 down for nothing is being belittled. It's one thing to think that a batsman is not great but totally another to not give one his due for any of his good knocks. Even average or merely good batsmen can play a few wonderful knocks (think Mark Waugh). Just say that Sehwag's debut hundred was good but he doesn't play those knocks often enough and that will sound less desperate.

TumTum

Banned
I find it plain annoying how Sehwag's debut hundred in SA when India were 4 down for nothing is being belittled. It's one thing to think that a batsman is not great but totally another to not give one his due for any of his good knocks. Even average or merely good batsmen can play a few wonderful knocks (think Mark Waugh). Just say that Sehwag's debut hundred was good but he doesn't play those knocks often enough and that will sound less desperate.
Ha I can't believe I am about to say this but will:

Just because someone scores a hundred on debut against a very good attack in tough conditions doesn't really mean much tbh. But scoring them afterwards and on a consistent basis is the important thing.

Just like how Hughes became the youngest player ever to score 2 centuries in a Test match on a bouncy pitch against good fast bowlers, but later struggled with the short ball in just his next series.

robelinda

You know, I will freely and happily admit that Sehwag's debut ton was simply awesome. His driving straight was great. Seeing that partnership with Sachin was errie- Sehwag really looked like Sachin back then. The way he hit the ball so clean was a joy to watch.

robelinda

robelinda you've got an impressive memory mate. :thumbs_up
It was only 9 years ago! Thats nothing! I'm sure there's plenty of guys who can recall cricket in detail from the 70's and 80's. Plus you dont forget a stunning innings like that, from an Indian in foreign conditions where they werent expected to put up much fight.

Actually I watched that Sehwag innings only a few months ago, I didnt keep much of that series on dvd, but Day 1 of that first test was amazing batting.

Last edited:
Ha I can't believe I am about to say this but will:

Just because someone scores a hundred on debut against a very good attack in tough conditions doesn't really mean much tbh. But scoring them afterwards and on a consistent basis is the important thing.

Just like how Hughes became the youngest player ever to score 2 centuries in a Test match on a bouncy pitch against good fast bowlers, but later struggled with the short ball in just his next series.
Agreed but it isn't like Sehwag has done jack since that debut ton-201* Galle,195 Melbourne,150 Adelaide,309 Multan,293 Mumbai,Chennai 08*2 (SA an Eng)...