Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Lol, he started saying "the ball comes nicely onto the bat" right from that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    While we are on cherry picking.

Ponting Vs. Ambrose/Walsh :- 40, Tendy :- 62.81Ponting Vs. Bishop :- 27.50, Tendy :- 50.25

Ponting Vs. Gough :- 39.38
    actually its 57 not 62
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I've heard what TC has said about Donald from others but my impression of him overall was so different. He was so destructive - he has an SR even better than Marshall, which is unbelievable in itself.
    Donald does not have a better SR than MM, only Steyn and Waqar among bowlers wth over 200 wkts do.

Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    actually its 57 not 62
    FTR, It is 62.81

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Even if it was 57, the point was made.

Thats 62 for matches involving either player, for matches involving both its 57.8. Still ur point is taken. Just like to see stats stated accurately thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    Thats 62 for matches involving either player, for matches involving both its 57.8. Still ur point is taken. Just like to see stats stated accurately thats all.
    It was accurate. I said Ambrose/Walsh not Ambrose & Walsh. There was a reason behind it.

Oh my bad then. But u do agree that Walsh alone vs Amby+Walsh is diff altogether no??

Tendulkar incidentally is the rank 1 test batsman now: ICC Player Rankings | Cricinfo.com

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Sorry, you're right, for some reason I had remembered Marshall's SR as 49 and not 46.7. Well, it's close enough though, very impressive.
    ★★★★★

S.Africans; they just don't get their deserved respect for some reason.
    Agree with you so much on this (especially for fast bowlers), and this is true across generations.

South Africa has produced amazing fast bowlers right from the 60's. Neil Adcock, Allan Donald and Mike Procter are the first three names that come to mind. And besides, there have been the likes of Dale Steyn, Peter Pollock, Shaun Pollock. All of them have had outstanding records and were considered greats of the game by those who played with or against them. But how many of them make a place too often in an all-time list? Donald sometimes, maybe. I guess most of these bowlers deserve at least a consideration for such lists.

Same for the great Saffie alrounders Clive Rice and Mike Procter (and Jacques Kallis too, though he has been more of a batting alrounder). Everyone who've seen them at their prime know that they stand in the same league as the likes of Imran, Botham, Kapil, Hadlee; and actually might have been even better than at least some of them. Mike Procter was definitely the best player in the world for a period. And it's not that they didn't succeed against the best of players. They bowled to, and batted against some of the greatests of the game with immense success. Still!
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

In my time of watching cricket Ponting's the batsman I'd pick to face a great pace attack. Then probably Waugh, then probably Tendulkar.
    On that - fair enough. Would Ponting figure in your top 3 players against spin? Or top 5? Or top 10?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shankar View Post
    It was sometime in mid 2006. And if I recall correctly he had had an unsuccessful surgery earlier on, soon after he acquired the condition, as well.
    To be completely fair, Sachin himself said it did not hamper his batting in any way during that time... I would just take it as a dip in form that just about every cricketer has had. Excuses like that belie the great man, coz I am pretty sure he will never pay when he is feeling he can't give his best. Let's face it, India of the mid noughties was not the Wndies of late 90s or since... It was not like everything was dependant on Sachin.

I seriously do think that having some other batsmen blossom around him has made Sachin a lot freer towards his own game... He really seems to be enjoying his cricket since 2001 when you can say the fab 4 arrived, as an entity by themselves... And with more wins and more of a climb in the ranking, it really seems to be spurring him on to better deeds. I think his renaissance also has something to do with the fact that India were now seriously moving ahead in the rankings (not exactly the ICC rankings, but in the general perception of the cricketing world)... You just saw how much all this means to him yesterday after he hit the winning runs. He, more than anyone else, has always pointed out how much TEAM SUCCESS means to him and the numbers show that he is not kidding..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    On that - fair enough. Would Ponting figure in your top 3 players against spin? Or top 5? Or top 10?
    Despite the fact that I've not really seen Ponting dominate spin bowling like Lara and Tendulkar; he still has an excellent record against spin bowlers - averaging 50 in matches against Murali is no fluke. Probably isn't amongst the best pure players of spin bowlers of all-time but is probably amongst the best in the all-time bat stakes.
    Last edited by Ikki; 14-10-2010 at 03:54 AM.

Probably isn't amongst the best spin bowlers of all-time
    Selling him short there; I saw him bowl offies in an ING Cup game for Tasmania and he took a wicket. It was the best ball I've ever seen.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

LOL, yeah yeah...I edited.

@ weldone; I was looking at WSC bowlers and saw the S.African Garth Le Roux. His FC record looks marvelous; does anyone know how good he was? Would he have been amongst the Hadlees, etc.?

Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread Information