• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since end of World Cup 2007,

their respective figures are as follows:

Sachin

31 matches, 2779 runs @ 59.12, 12 hundreds and 11 fifties
Excluding Bangladesh
27 matches, 2261 runs @ 52.58, 8 hundreds and 11 fifties

Ponting

32 matches, 2491 runs @ 45.29, 6 hundreds and 14 fifties.

Ponting averages 48, 38 and 41 against England, India and South Africa during this period while Tendulkar averages 64, 43 and 53 against Australia, England and South Africa.
Thank god we cleared that up.

Right, next!

EDIT: You did forget to mention that Ponting's golf handicap in that period has been much, much better - a winner for mine!

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
after a long time, may be three or four years, ponting's average drops below sachin's for the first time. at the end his second innings knock against nz he averages fractionally less than sachin. he will most probably end up with a higher avg at the end of their careers. but the fact that sachin is still leading him after 14 years of international cricket together, and seven additional years before ponting started, is just amazing.

Sir Alex

Banned
after a long time, may be three or four years, ponting's average drops below sachin's for the first time. at the end his second innings knock against nz he averages fractionally less than sachin. he will most probably end up with a higher avg at the end of their careers. but the fact that sachin is still leading him after 14 years of international cricket together, and seven additional years before ponting started, is just amazing.
Yes indeed! But don't think Ponting will be able to arrest this downslide unless he does a Tendulkar from now. At present rate, I see Punter ending up with a career average of around 52-53.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Uhh I don't want to get into this debate, but Ponting's average dropped below Tendulkar's during the Pakistan series, and then went above it, and is now below it again.

I am now running away from this thread.

Sir Alex

Banned
Uhh I don't want to get into this debate, but Ponting's average dropped below Tendulkar's during the Pakistan series, and then went above it, and is now below it again.

I am now running away from this thread.
Actually it didn't.

When Ponting's avg touched a 5 yr low at 54.79 after 2nd test vs Pakistan early this year, Tendulkar was averaging 54.72.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not in anyway slagging you two guys at all, but this last exchange really sums up a lot of these "vs" threads very, very well :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Have to say in the last 2/3 of years many over inflated averages have come down,which was boosted in the 3/4 years preceding them,Which were more batsmen friendly.I guess there has been more emphasis on a result oriented pitch in this period.

Sachin if i remember correctly when he had his slump ,was overtaken in terms of average by a few players.2/3 went even close to 60.It was unfortunate for Sachin that when had his slump other players not in the same class as him were boosting their stats.
But it has been interesting in the period when Tendulkar has had his resurgence, others like Dravid,Yousuf,hussey,kallis and ponting have dropped from their lofty peaks.
And now again after having overcome the challenge thrown by these players,Tendulkar is again top of the pile in terms of average after a 20+ year career.Incredible.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin's definitely in better form now, but the reality is that Sachin's average is higher due to his record against the minnows. He is actually a few points inferior to Ponting without them.

Without minnows:

Sachin: 52.27
Ricky: 54.44

Maximus0723

State Regular
I guess they play backyard cricket vs. minnows.

I would give 2/3 of the credit rather then removing those stats all together.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I guess they play backyard cricket vs. minnows.

I would give 2/3 of the credit rather then removing those stats all together.
Probably not as high as that level yet.

Anyway, it's curious how their averages never became relevant until Tendulkar finally hit the lead again, at least including all teams. 8-)

Sir Alex

Banned
Sachin's definitely in better form now, but the reality is that Sachin's average is higher due to his record against the minnows. He is actually a few points inferior to Ponting without them.

Without minnows:

Sachin: 52.27
Ricky: 54.44
:laugh:

Just as expected.

Care to remove Pakistan and Windies of late also then from Punter's record? Because at the moment they are worse than Zimbabwe of the 90s by a substantial margin.

Sir Alex

Banned
Probably not as high as that level yet.

Anyway, it's curious how their averages never became relevant until Tendulkar finally hit the lead again, at least including all teams. 8-)
Because in the 16 years they've been together on the International scene, Ponting has averaged more than Tendulkar for max 3-4 years??

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Just as expected.

Care to remove Pakistan and Windies of late also then from Punter's record? Because at the moment they are worse than Zimbabwe of the 90s by a substantial margin.
Ok, if we also remove Sachin's record against the Windies and include the period where Zim were good...which would then make his record even worse.

It's not really a talking point as it still doesn't make up the difference; Punter's average is higher than Tendulkar's taking that into consideration. Even if we were to keep all his Tests against Zimbabwe and only remove Bangladesh, it's still less.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Ok, if we also remove Sachin's record against the Windies and include the period where Zim were good...which would then make his record even worse.

It's not really a talking point as it still doesn't make up the difference; Punter's average is higher than Tendulkar's taking that into consideration. Even if we were to keep all his Tests against Zimbabwe and only remove Bangladesh, it's still less.
Clever, exclude Windies post 2003...

Yeah ignore the 7-8 years of cricket Tendulkar played against much tougher opponents at a much younger age on much difficult pitches as well? 8-)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Clever, exclude Windies post 2003...

Yeah ignore the 7-8 years of cricket Tendulkar played against much tougher opponents at a much younger age on much difficult pitches as well? 8-)
We've had this debate before sunshine. In the 90s (as Ponting came in 95 and did play tough opponents in tough conditions at a young age) Ponting's record is actually very good - even better than Tendulkar's - against the best bowling line-ups. It's his record against the worst teams that pulled his average down.

On the flip-side; Tendulkar has also had the "easier" opponents and had been chasing Ponting's shadow for a decade, so there is little excuse.

As I said, I find it curious how their averages suddenly became relevant, when it wasn't before.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
We've had this debate before sunshine. In the 90s (as Ponting came in 95 and did play tough opponents in tough conditions at a young age) Ponting's record is actually very good - even better than Tendulkar's - against the best bowling line-ups. It's his record against the worst teams that pulled his average down.

On the flip-side; Tendulkar has also had the "easier" opponents and had been chasing Ponting's shadow for a decade, so there is little excuse.

As I said, I find it curious how their averages suddenly became relevant, when it wasn't before.
Tendulkar has not been under punter's shadow for a decade. Punter has batted better than him from 2003 to 2007

Sir Alex

Banned
:laugh: Ponting never had to face his own bowlers who were the best among their eras, EVER.

:laugh: For a decade?? Ponting has had a better avg than Tendulkar only since 2005 end. So that makes it about 5 years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar has not been under punter's shadow for a decade. Punter has batted better than him from 2003 to 2007
I don't mean every year; I referring to the fact that in the 2000s, which is considered easier, Ponting is far and away superior to Tendulkar. So in the decade that was supposedly easy, Tendulkar had more than enough time to build on his average. The fact that in the 00s w/o minnows he averages 47 overturns any perception of easiness.