Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

International 12th Man
    (Fore! )

Harbhajan averages 6 more with the bat in Aus than Ponting does in India.
    (Sachin has tutored him on batting, btw).

Quote Originally Posted by jeevan View Post
    (Fore! )

That is such an awesome stat
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeevan View Post
    (Fore! )

Harbhajan never had to face himself right?

i know this discussion is about tests... still it feels criminal to not mention sachin's 200 not out yesterday against SA in this thread... being the first batting record he has achieved other than accumulated runs or centuries, it will definitely add to sachin's legacy and be a point of discussion in future ponting, lara versus sachin debates.
    Last edited by bagapath; 24-02-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Without any stats to back up my argument and with the proviso that I am not insisting on my opinion here being right, I have NEVER seen bowlers look as hopeless as they do when they bowl to Sachin or Lara in full flight... With everyone else, there always seems to be some place to go... Ponting came across as someone who will ruthlessly punish even the slightly baddish balls but with Sachin and Lara, I ve seen bowlers so many times have that "WTF?" expression... I mean, it happens with the others now and then but only with these 2 have I seen it even in really good bowling conditions and with really good bowlers.. It can't be quantified and I don't want to be involved in another stats war comparing the 3, but from the outside, it is a feeling I get and that is why I always put Ponting a very very slight level below to that of Lara and Sachin, PERSONALLY...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    You may say that they look more imperious in full-flight, and that could be true. However, that's an arbitrary observation and there are plenty of stats to counter it - one very important one being their records against the best, which works against Lara the most in some ways.

As an aside, for me the one that looked most imperious in full-flight was Hayden...so there you go.
    Last edited by Ikki; 25-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    for me the one that looked most imperious in full-flight was Hayden...so there you go.
    not at all an odd observation... that guy did look imperious in full-flight.

to add to what bharani has written above, sachin's one pull from outside the off stump for a boundary yesterday looked so Caribbean that i was reminded of greenidge immediately. steyn's shoulder shrugging merely underlined the helplessness the bowlers were feeling.

in my book, it would make it to the top 20 greatest ODI knocks of all time easily. which means, i have seen better ones, including some from sachin himself. but still.. awesome century. no one deserved the record better.
    Last edited by bagapath; 25-02-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Banned
    A positive about that knock was that whle he was tired, he still found the stamina to field through SA innings and expressed his willingness to bat another 50 overs. That is remarkable.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    You may say that they look more imperious in full-flight, and that could be true. However, that's an arbitrary observation and there are plenty of stats to counter it - one very important one being their records against the best, which works against Lara the most in some ways.

As an aside, for me the one that looked most imperious in full-flight was Hayden...so there you go.
    Indeed, and I would add Sehwag there as well.. But as I said, there were conditions in which they ve looked clueless as well... I haven't seen that with Sachin or Lara... Obviously, a VERY arbitrary and subjective observation. I may well be biased as I was pretty young when I watched Sachin and Lara at their best compared to say Ponting, Hayden and Sehwag... But then, so many people much more involved with cricket also seem to think the same... So, there ya go...

We don't often see eye to eye, but I agree with this. Perhaps because I'm an Indian supporter and Hayden had a terrific record against us compared to Ponting, but at that moment when completely dominant, Hayden to me was the guy which looked unstoppable.

Sehwag is only slightly behind because he is perhaps more prone to a brain fade. Then again he has 3 scores over 290.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Mangoes

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Hayden definitely was amongst the most imperious batsmen in full flow. I'd agree with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Since end of World Cup 2007,

their respective figures are as follows:

Sachin

31 matches, 2779 runs @ 59.12, 12 hundreds and 11 fifties
    Excluding Bangladesh
    27 matches, 2261 runs @ 52.58, 8 hundreds and 11 fifties

Ponting

32 matches, 2491 runs @ 45.29, 6 hundreds and 14 fifties.

Ponting averages 48, 38 and 41 against England, India and South Africa during this period while Tendulkar averages 64, 43 and 53 against Australia, England and South Africa.
    Thank god we cleared that up.

Right, next!

EDIT: You did forget to mention that Ponting's golf handicap in that period has been much, much better - a winner for mine!
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 27-02-2010 at 12:26 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

after a long time, may be three or four years, ponting's average drops below sachin's for the first time. at the end his second innings knock against nz he averages fractionally less than sachin. he will most probably end up with a higher avg at the end of their careers. but the fact that sachin is still leading him after 14 years of international cricket together, and seven additional years before ponting started, is just amazing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    after a long time, may be three or four years, ponting's average drops below sachin's for the first time. at the end his second innings knock against nz he averages fractionally less than sachin. he will most probably end up with a higher avg at the end of their careers. but the fact that sachin is still leading him after 14 years of international cricket together, and seven additional years before ponting started, is just amazing.
    Yes indeed! But don't think Ponting will be able to arrest this downslide unless he does a Tendulkar from now. At present rate, I see Punter ending up with a career average of around 52-53.

Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information