• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

bagapath

International Captain
necking around with the girlfriend in parking lots and elevators is great fun. once you are engaged, the fizz will go off. the fun of slipping in a sachin vs ricky stat in a warne - murali thread was what kept me going. this official thread makes me want to say I dont care anymore. but I do care. sachin is better than ponting by a narrow but definite margin.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
There'll still be fights about it in other threads. You will never defeat the resistance.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh, and can I say kudos to Ikki for the last post he made in the thread which was recently closed. Very funny.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taking it out of this thread should be a bannable offence if it is more than a two reply argument.

Sir Alex

Banned
Since end of World Cup 2007,

their respective figures are as follows:

Sachin

31 matches, 2779 runs @ 59.12, 12 hundreds and 11 fifties
Excluding Bangladesh
27 matches, 2261 runs @ 52.58, 8 hundreds and 11 fifties

Ponting

32 matches, 2491 runs @ 45.29, 6 hundreds and 14 fifties.

Ponting averages 48, 38 and 41 against England, India and South Africa during this period while Tendulkar averages 64, 43 and 53 against Australia, England and South Africa.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sachin was better at 16 than Ponting was at the same age because Sachin is the better prodigy. Unless you understand the Indian provincial educational system, you won't understand this point. By the way, like my swastika avatar?

Ponting clearly has done more for the hair regrowth industry.

Maximus0723

State Regular
sachin was better at 16 than ponting was at the same age because sachin is the better prodigy. Unless you understand the indian provincial educational system, you won't understand this point. By the way, like my swastika avatar?

ponting clearly has done more for the hair regrowth industry.
hahaaaaaaaaa

jeevan

International 12th Man
(Fore! )

Harbhajan averages 6 more with the bat in Aus than Ponting does in India. :cool:
(Sachin has tutored him on batting, btw).

bagapath

International Captain
i know this discussion is about tests... still it feels criminal to not mention sachin's 200 not out yesterday against SA in this thread... being the first batting record he has achieved other than accumulated runs or centuries, it will definitely add to sachin's legacy and be a point of discussion in future ponting, lara versus sachin debates.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Without any stats to back up my argument and with the proviso that I am not insisting on my opinion here being right, I have NEVER seen bowlers look as hopeless as they do when they bowl to Sachin or Lara in full flight... With everyone else, there always seems to be some place to go... Ponting came across as someone who will ruthlessly punish even the slightly baddish balls but with Sachin and Lara, I ve seen bowlers so many times have that "WTF?" expression... I mean, it happens with the others now and then but only with these 2 have I seen it even in really good bowling conditions and with really good bowlers.. It can't be quantified and I don't want to be involved in another stats war comparing the 3, but from the outside, it is a feeling I get and that is why I always put Ponting a very very slight level below to that of Lara and Sachin, PERSONALLY...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You may say that they look more imperious in full-flight, and that could be true. However, that's an arbitrary observation and there are plenty of stats to counter it - one very important one being their records against the best, which works against Lara the most in some ways.

As an aside, for me the one that looked most imperious in full-flight was Hayden...so there you go.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
for me the one that looked most imperious in full-flight was Hayden...so there you go.
not at all an odd observation... that guy did look imperious in full-flight.

to add to what bharani has written above, sachin's one pull from outside the off stump for a boundary yesterday looked so Caribbean that i was reminded of greenidge immediately. steyn's shoulder shrugging merely underlined the helplessness the bowlers were feeling.

in my book, it would make it to the top 20 greatest ODI knocks of all time easily. which means, i have seen better ones, including some from sachin himself. but still.. awesome century. no one deserved the record better.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
A positive about that knock was that whle he was tired, he still found the stamina to field through SA innings and expressed his willingness to bat another 50 overs. That is remarkable.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You may say that they look more imperious in full-flight, and that could be true. However, that's an arbitrary observation and there are plenty of stats to counter it - one very important one being their records against the best, which works against Lara the most in some ways.

As an aside, for me the one that looked most imperious in full-flight was Hayden...so there you go.
Indeed, and I would add Sehwag there as well.. But as I said, there were conditions in which they ve looked clueless as well... I haven't seen that with Sachin or Lara... Obviously, a VERY arbitrary and subjective observation. I may well be biased as I was pretty young when I watched Sachin and Lara at their best compared to say Ponting, Hayden and Sehwag... But then, so many people much more involved with cricket also seem to think the same... So, there ya go... :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We don't often see eye to eye, but I agree with this. Perhaps because I'm an Indian supporter and Hayden had a terrific record against us compared to Ponting, but at that moment when completely dominant, Hayden to me was the guy which looked unstoppable.

Sehwag is only slightly behind because he is perhaps more prone to a brain fade. Then again he has 3 scores over 290.