• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Jokes aside,this whole Tendulkar hasn't been part of many wins kinda gets overstated.Sure,Ponting's(and plenty of others) have far better win% and all that but it's not like Tendulkar hasn't won a match.

Tendulkar's been part of Indian teams that have won series in every nation aside from SA and Australia.

Was part of the side that shared the ICC Champions Trophy in 2002+he's got a good many Asia Cups to go with ODI series wins in all nations but SA (correct me if I am wrong on this).

Most test wins for an Asian.

You can also thrown in the number 1 ranking FWIW.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but you're talking about a guy who has been in arguably the greatest test side of all time. You can count sides as good as his on one hand alone. He was pretty much there for all of Australia's dominance in the last 2 decades.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but you're talking about a guy who has been in arguably the greatest test side of all time. You can count sides as good as his on one hand alone. He was pretty much there for all of Australia's dominance in the last 2 decades.
What is bigger ? Playing against that greatest team and scoring well against them or being a part of the greatest team.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
My bad!

You'd have enjoyed lifting WC thrice and oh yeah right now you'd be a very worried man...

Who wanna lose Ashes thrice and become the only Aussie captain to have done that? :D
Lol, I've seen you post this a fair few times. Australia aren't going to lose the ashes IMO and it seems like your a bitter troll.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
What is bigger ? Playing against that greatest team and scoring well against them or being a part of the greatest team.
He would be proud of that but I think would surely have loved to win half as many trophies as Ponting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I think it's iffy tbh. Obviously everyone wants to win, but as Pat Riley always asks.."You want to win...but?"

Guys like Jordan say they'd rather try to beat the best than play with a team of superstars. Whereas some others would prefer to guarantee wins in a best team.

I'd pick the latter probably but if the monetary rewards were massively different, it's not a sure thing by far.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
8-). Opining his views (clearly it was in a light vein) doesn't amount to trolling.
Apparently your an expert at it? I'm pretty sure I've seen him post the same message in some other threads where it isn't relevant.

Pretty annoying TBH.

I find the intricate level of statistical analysis that goes into these comparisons so ridiculous. There are FAR too many variables involved to render any of these highly specific stats as useful. Also, if you simply look at the overall career average of these players, and given the enormous amount of variables involved, a difference of a few percentage points is not going to be a true gauge of talent. In my opinion with players who have similiar numbers, easily the best way to compare their talent is simply from experience watching them.

At the end of the day the real 'winner' is nationalism.

bagapath

International Captain
sadly he is also watching his country slide down the cricketing scale, and that too as captain.

sachin is having a better finish to his career though. what with his team being the no.1 test playing nation in the world, considering when he started it was close to the bottom of the pile.

as for the world cup wins etc. mentioned elsewhere in the thread, may be they are suggesting sachin would like to trade his career for tom moody's coz he won two world cups. mmmm.... i am not too sure....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yea, I think it's iffy tbh. Obviously everyone wants to win, but as Pat Riley always asks.."You want to win...but?"

Guys like Jordan say they'd rather try to beat the best than play with a team of superstars. Whereas some others would prefer to guarantee wins in a best team.

I'd pick the latter probably but if the monetary rewards were massively different, it's not a sure thing by far.
Ignoring all monetary concerns and looking purely from the POV of a legacy, I'd far rather be an ATG in an ATG side (Richards, Marshall, Warne, McGrath), but I'd also far rather be a Laxman or a Dravid, or a Flintoff with my exploits in winning a series against the best of all time than an anonymous cog in the Aussie machine.

bagapath

International Captain
Ignoring all monetary concerns and looking purely from the POV of a legacy, I'd far rather be an ATG in an ATG side (Richards, Marshall, Warne, McGrath), but I'd also far rather be a Laxman or a Dravid, or a Flintoff with my exploits in winning a series against the best of all time than an anonymous cog in the Aussie machine.
AWTA pretty much. I would also love to be a denis compton or a victor trumper or a walter hammond or an ian botham or a brian lara where my individual talent helps my team raise above its destiny. that way i would love to be a sachin tendulkar.

akilana

International 12th Man
I'm an immigrant from Ponting's camp. Sachin's making it really hard to make a case for Ponting.