• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

EPL Club Manchester City To Buy IPL Team

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If it's Citeh (and the report isn't clear) I'd have to take issue with Modi's suggestion they're one of the three best known English teams. Man U, Liverpool & Arsenal, surely?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If it's Citeh (and the report isn't clear) I'd have to take issue with Modi's suggestion they're one of the three best known English teams. Man U, Liverpool & Arsenal, surely?
Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton, Aston Villa... Accrington Stanley...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nothing in th article could even remotely imply interest from City
Man City have mega rich owners from the UAE - they're the best fit in terms of who'd want to buy into the IPL.

Chelsea are owned by a Russian, Liverpool and Manchester United by Americans - I can't see them buying into a domestic cricket league in India.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man City have mega rich owners from the UAE - they're the best fit in terms of who'd want to buy into the IPL.

Chelsea are owned by a Russian, Liverpool and Manchester United by Americans - I can't see them buying into a domestic cricket league in India.
"(They are) probably one of the most famous football clubs - probably top three ...."

Does that sound like MC?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"(They are) probably one of the most famous football clubs - probably top three ...."

Does that sound like MC?
Sounds like a bloke who don't know his football to me.

TBF to Modi tho, whatever else he is he's a shrewd guy, so it's possible he's just using the EPL for a bit of reflected glamour & the interest is entirely imaginary. If it gets anyone who otherwise wouldn't give a rats about the IPL interested it's probably done its job too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Does that sound like MC?
Of course Modi is going to bum up whoever it is that's going to be interested.

Manchester City are a historically big club though in terms of the size of their support.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What I find most fascinating is that the most expensive club, belonging to the biggest city in India, initially cost $112m.

In two years, a new club in a comparatively minor city (to Mumbai) will start at $250m. That's an amazing appreciation of value in two years. I would say the Mumbai franchise is worth at least $350m by now, which is no small change, especially in India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Now you may say they are overvalued, but unlike sports franchises in many part of the world, many made a profit in their first year, and all of them made a profit in the seocnd year, despite the substantial costs involved in terms of repaying the cost of the team to BCCI.

pasag

RTDAS
What I find most fascinating is that the most expensive club, belonging to the biggest city in India, initially cost $112m.

In two years, a new club in a comparatively minor city (to Mumbai) will start at $250m. That's an amazing appreciation of value in two years. I would say the Mumbai franchise is worth at least $350m by now, which is no small change, especially in India.
Yeah, it's all about the risk, those initial purchases were for a league that could have potentially failed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cities in contention: Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Kanpur, Dharamsala, Indore, Cuttack, Gwalior, Visakapatnam, Rajkot, Pune, Vadodara and Kochi.

Three in Gujarat. :cool:

Vadodara is my hometown so I'd love for them to get it, but I think Ahemdabad and Nagpur will get one. That'd probably make the most commercial sense.