Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The greatest ever Test innings under pressure of the modern era

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Onions V Saffa, a couple of times, 09-10
    Monty & Jimmeh, Cardiff 2009
    I see these and I raise you Fidel Edwards. Legendary number 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    This. And his 213 in the test before is also damn good.
    after 5-0 trashing in SA and 51 all out in first test he came back with 213 & 153 * as far as showing as a captain considered, those are the best.
    Scored a blazing hundred in the following match too, but not to the same game-changing effect. That 153* still my most emotive memory of watching cricket.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Granted he was indeed under tremendous self-inflicted pressure, but I'd hardly say 1 and 29 qualify as tremendous innings'!
    Right, I think I must have meant in his second test.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    I see these and I raise you Fidel Edwards. Legendary number 11.
    Hmm, the Anderson\MSP partnership and the Onions twin escape-act turned-out to influence their series' though. The Edwards escape-act at Kensington (or wherever it was) in 2006 turned-out to be futile because West Indies lost the series in the last match anyway.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hmm, the Anderson\MSP partnership and the Onions twin escape-act turned-out to influence their series' though. The Edwards escape-act at Kensington (or wherever it was) in 2006 turned-out to be futile because West Indies lost the series in the last match anyway.
    Umm... I'm talking about Edwards' efforts in the 2009 series against England. You know, the one we won 1-0 as a result.

Pah, if England couldn't dismiss a tailender in 20-odd overs they don't deserve to be doing anything other than losing a series.

Edwards discredited then. Sure thing.

TBF, while Edwards does naturally deserve great credit for his batting in that knock, I've always viewed it more as a failure of England's bowlers than anything. Whereas with him and Collymore in 2006 it was truly a great last-pair escape-act.

IMO Morkel's second escape in SA was a failure of South Africa's. Morkel didn't make him play enough IIRC.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    And as mentioned not so long ago, Cairns' 80 at The Oval in 1999, a much lesser-noticed masterpiece of instant match-situation transformation.
    Considering that it was 1-1 and NZ were in a perilious position, that innings is probably the best played by a NZ test batsmen in the last ten years.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

International 12th Man
    Ponting's 156 at Old Trafford, 2005.

Laxman 281 @ Eden against Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    IMO Morkel's second escape in SA was a failure of South Africa's. Morkel didn't make him play enough IIRC.
    Dunno, didn't watch the game as closely as I watched said ARG Test TBH. In fact didn't watch that last session at all.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Laxman 281 @ Eden against Australia.
    Interesting, was he under pressure for his spot coming into that dig? I'd have thought being 4 for bugger all having kicked off more than 200 behind wouldn't be a lot of pressure unless you were.

Like Botham at Headingly, I'd have thought you'd have nothing to lose - may as well just bat and have a crack. I suppose the pressure would have built as the day went on though, when all of a sudden the prospect of saving the game became a reality, then the chance the game could be won..
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

When Laxman actually came in (obviously, at first-drop), although defeat would've seemed near-inevitable, it was a home Test series, defeat there tends to be near-unthinkable for India, and there was still the remote possibility of it being saved. As his knock went on that possibility became stronger and stronger.

As for Laxman's place, it was far from assured at that point. Very far indeed.

Whether he felt any great pressure or just batted as if he had nothing to lose, only he could tell you.

That it's one of the greatest against-the-odds innings' you'll ever see is beyond question though.

And as for the comparisons to Botham at Headingley, well, we know beyond doubt and always have that Botham just said to Graham Dilley "may as well have some fun". We don't know, UIMM, what Laxman's attitude was but Botham's play was coherant with his known attitude. But from what I've always seen of Laxman's knock (I didn't watch it ball-by-ball) it seems he just came in and batted absolutely normally.
    Last edited by Richard; 17-02-2010 at 04:22 AM.

International 12th Man
    YouTube - Ricky Ponting 144 Vs England 2001

Innings prior to this: 0, 6, 0, 0, 11, 11, 14, 4, 14 and 17

A Ricky Ponting masterclass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information