• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Alex

Banned
Well, not without reason, Ponting was rooted as sure to overtake Tendulkar both in terms of runs and test hundreds. The gap was at one point iirc three hundreds.

But in the last two seasons things have turned on it's head, Tendulkar enjoying his most productive phase in his career since the late 90s and Ponting slipping into a prolonged loss of form.

In the last two months alone, the gap was widened by four hundreds, and the overall gap is 8 hundreds. And with Tendulkar showing no real signs of decline, I feel Ponting looks very unlikely to taking it.

However nothing can be ruled out in test cricket. And for cricket's sake I wish Ponting gives Tendulkar a run because nothing spurs him more than genuine competition. What are your thoughts?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Not much seperates the two. Both are as good eachother. Sachin probably got his chance a bit earlier whilst the myth is that Punter was good enough to play International cricket at 15-16 aswell. Smashing 100's against Glenn McGrath in domestic cricket playing in a weak state like Tasmania as a 17 year old is no mean feat.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Depends how long he plays, he has to play until at least the 2013 Ashes and Sachin has to retire or drop off in form quite quickly IMO.

I think he will.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
End of 2006:
Sachin 35
Ponting 33

End of 2007:
Sachin 37
Ponting 33

End of 2008:
Sachin 41
Ponting 37

End of 2009
Sachin 43
Ponting 38

Sachin 47
Ponting 39

Sachin so far has scored equal or more centuries every year since 2006. Ponting needs to start reversing this trend very quickly. As I said, I think he'll do it, but it has to start happening soon.

Sachin is about 13 years past his absolute peak (IMO 1998 was his absolute peak), Ponting about 3-4ish...Ponting is about year and a half younger and has much less mileage on his body. So yea, I think it'll happen.

My guess is Ponting might use the 2013 Ashes to retire, while Tendulkar may use next year's WC....unless he keeps scoring a century per Test or something...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It will be awesome if Ponting did Break Tendulkar's record, It will be even more awesome, if he didn't.

It is not easy but definitely possible considering how well Ponting has been playing. Also Australia are playing 8-9 more tests this year (I guess makes up for the two easy test Tendy played Vs. BD) , India are probably playing only 3-4.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
He has a chance in tests, but this depends on Ponting reversing the poor form he has been in for the past 2 or so years. 2-3 years ago I would have said definately, but now, in test, I would give Ponting 35% chance of overtaking Tendulkar because SRT is on such good form at the moment and is still 8 centuries ahead. Also, for better or worse, I believe SRT will try his level best to play until Ponting retires or is removed from the Aussie set up.

Funny because between 02-06ish, Pontings incline was unbelieveably steep, but his decline in the past 2-3 years has been very steep also.

ODIs, no chance, I don't think RTP can make anything like 46.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Ponting doesn't have to prove anything with regards to his batting or his captinacy or as an overall cricketer...his stats and the way he has led his team, especially this summer is something that everyone should look up to....

Tendulkar abviously has his own place in the Cricketing world...

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
End of 2006:
Sachin 35
Ponting 33

End of 2007:
Sachin 37
Ponting 33

End of 2008:
Sachin 41
Ponting 37

End of 2009
Sachin 43
Ponting 38

Sachin 47
Ponting 39

Sachin so far has scored equal or more centuries every year since 2006. Ponting needs to start reversing this trend very quickly. As I said, I think he'll do it, but it has to start happening soon.

Sachin is about 13 years past his absolute peak (IMO 1998 was his absolute peak), Ponting about 3-4ish...Ponting is about year and a half younger and has much less mileage on his body. So yea, I think it'll happen.

My guess is Ponting might use the 2013 Ashes to retire, while Tendulkar may use next year's WC....unless he keeps scoring a century per Test or something...
Although the bit I have made bold is true, Tendulkar is still playing better at the moment. Ponting is only 4 years past his best but he has declined very quickly in those 4 years, whereas Tendulka can bounce back, and has become a top class accumilator in recent years. More akin to a Jaques Kallis type batsman than a great stroke maker

Personally I hope SRT wins the battle, because despite Ponting's great talent and application, SRT is still, in my opinion, the greater player.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ponting will need to replicate his peak performance and will have to sustain it for atleast two years after Tendulkar has retired. That looks remote.

Ben, What was his shield record at 16 or 17? i am not sure whether he would've been able to match Tendulkar considering he really started dominating only by about 2003 odd when he was about 29.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not that I particularly care, but at one point I thought the ODI record might be in overtaken...don't think that's a remote possibility now.

Tendulkar needs eight more combined centuries to get to 100 international centuries.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
End of 2006:
Sachin 35
Ponting 33

End of 2007:
Sachin 37
Ponting 33

End of 2008:
Sachin 41
Ponting 37

End of 2009
Sachin 43
Ponting 38

Sachin 47
Ponting 39

Some interesting points in there but if the peak is something measured statistically, then Tendulkar averages 91 this year with 4 hundreds which is jus 1 short of his maximum of 5 scored in 97. Also he has been averaging close to 58 since 07 World Cup, which which is numerically comparable to what he used to average in his absolute peak.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Peak is when I thought he was the best. Around 1998, he was at the top of his game in every way.

If you look at Tendulkar now, and Tendulkar of 1998, I wouldn't bat an eyelid regarding which one I'd want for my team.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Ben, What was his shield record at 16 or 17? i am not sure whether he would've been able to match Tendulkar considering he really started dominating only by about 2003 odd when he was about 29.
Averaged 49-50 in his first season, as a 17 year-old, playing in by far the weakest cricketing state at that time, Tasmania.

Status
Not open for further replies.