View Poll Results: Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 25.81%
  • No

21 67.74%
  • Someone else will

2 6.45%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Banned

Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Well, not without reason, Ponting was rooted as sure to overtake Tendulkar both in terms of runs and test hundreds. The gap was at one point iirc three hundreds.

But in the last two seasons things have turned on it's head, Tendulkar enjoying his most productive phase in his career since the late 90s and Ponting slipping into a prolonged loss of form.

In the last two months alone, the gap was widened by four hundreds, and the overall gap is 8 hundreds. And with Tendulkar showing no real signs of decline, I feel Ponting looks very unlikely to taking it.

However nothing can be ruled out in test cricket. And for cricket's sake I wish Ponting gives Tendulkar a run because nothing spurs him more than genuine competition. What are your thoughts?

International 12th Man
    Ponting scored a double hundred in the last Test Match he played in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Ponting scored a double hundred in the last Test Match he played in.
    His summer returns despite having two bottom tier teams to face has not been as productive as it used to be.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Dano.85's Avatar
    I think he could, i will have a gamble and say yes.
    You nick it, i'll catch it then i will send you the scorecard for the next year.

International 12th Man
    Not much seperates the two. Both are as good eachother. Sachin probably got his chance a bit earlier whilst the myth is that Punter was good enough to play International cricket at 15-16 aswell. Smashing 100's against Glenn McGrath in domestic cricket playing in a weak state like Tasmania as a 17 year old is no mean feat.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Can he? Yes. Will he? Probably.
    ★★★★★

Maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Depends how long he plays, he has to play until at least the 2013 Ashes and Sachin has to retire or drop off in form quite quickly IMO.

I think he will.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    End of 2006:
    Sachin 35
    Ponting 33

End of 2007:
    Sachin 37
    Ponting 33

End of 2008:
    Sachin 41
    Ponting 37

End of 2009
    Sachin 43
    Ponting 38

Sachin 47
    Ponting 39

Sachin so far has scored equal or more centuries every year since 2006. Ponting needs to start reversing this trend very quickly. As I said, I think he'll do it, but it has to start happening soon.

Sachin is about 13 years past his absolute peak (IMO 1998 was his absolute peak), Ponting about 3-4ish...Ponting is about year and a half younger and has much less mileage on his body. So yea, I think it'll happen.

My guess is Ponting might use the 2013 Ashes to retire, while Tendulkar may use next year's WC....unless he keeps scoring a century per Test or something...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Nah, don't reckon he will anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

I have always maintained a no.

It will be awesome if Ponting did Break Tendulkar's record, It will be even more awesome, if he didn't.

It is not easy but definitely possible considering how well Ponting has been playing. Also Australia are playing 8-9 more tests this year (I guess makes up for the two easy test Tendy played Vs. BD) , India are probably playing only 3-4.

He has a chance in tests, but this depends on Ponting reversing the poor form he has been in for the past 2 or so years. 2-3 years ago I would have said definately, but now, in test, I would give Ponting 35% chance of overtaking Tendulkar because SRT is on such good form at the moment and is still 8 centuries ahead. Also, for better or worse, I believe SRT will try his level best to play until Ponting retires or is removed from the Aussie set up.

Funny because between 02-06ish, Pontings incline was unbelieveably steep, but his decline in the past 2-3 years has been very steep also.

ODIs, no chance, I don't think RTP can make anything like 46.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Ponting doesn't have to prove anything with regards to his batting or his captinacy or as an overall cricketer...his stats and the way he has led his team, especially this summer is something that everyone should look up to....

Tendulkar abviously has his own place in the Cricketing world...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    End of 2006:
    Sachin 35
    Ponting 33

End of 2007:
    Sachin 37
    Ponting 33

End of 2008:
    Sachin 41
    Ponting 37

End of 2009
    Sachin 43
    Ponting 38

Sachin 47
    Ponting 39

Sachin so far has scored equal or more centuries every year since 2006. Ponting needs to start reversing this trend very quickly. As I said, I think he'll do it, but it has to start happening soon.

Sachin is about 13 years past his absolute peak (IMO 1998 was his absolute peak), Ponting about 3-4ish...Ponting is about year and a half younger and has much less mileage on his body. So yea, I think it'll happen.

My guess is Ponting might use the 2013 Ashes to retire, while Tendulkar may use next year's WC....unless he keeps scoring a century per Test or something...
    Although the bit I have made bold is true, Tendulkar is still playing better at the moment. Ponting is only 4 years past his best but he has declined very quickly in those 4 years, whereas Tendulka can bounce back, and has become a top class accumilator in recent years. More akin to a Jaques Kallis type batsman than a great stroke maker

Personally I hope SRT wins the battle, because despite Ponting's great talent and application, SRT is still, in my opinion, the greater player.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information