• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Tendulkar did not play as many test matches as Ponting did during their respective peaks, or atleast same number of test matches due to the ODI deluge of the late 90s and early 00s. Also despite being a year and half apart Tendulkar debuted 6-7 years before Ponting is certainly his achievement.

Of course there is the matter of Ponting getting to play today's West Indies and Pakistan of today. :ph34r:
Pakistan has good bowling attack. Better then India's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Said Tendulkar's #1 fanboy on this forum. Anyway, other than keeping up with him, I don't know what I've said is biased.
I wish I was Sachin's #1 fanboy, but unfortunately I'm not :(

It's pretty common knowledge how biased you are tbh. You can close your eyes to it or change your forum name like before, it won't change.

JBH001

International Regular
Ponting's case is a bit curious one. I think he can play offspin very well ubless it's not bowled by Harbhajan, but tends to struggle when ball spins away. Kumble had success over him, and in SL it was Herath, Chandana etc were the spinners dismissing him, not Murali. The reason may be that no team ever had a class SLA bowler to exploit that weakness.
Dont know if its just that, tbh. T_C had a good comment a while back that its because Ponting rates Murali, and doesnt really rate Harbhajan. He may have a point, the couple of times I have seen Murali and Ponting face off, Ponting has been all concentration. He has done well against Murali too, although Murali has also claimed him a few times. Always a good contest to watch, too.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You really want to open the can of worms that the Zimbabwe that SRT scored all his 3 tons against (all prior to 2002) were no more of a minnow than the post 2001 WI that Ponting scored 6 of his 7 against?
Yet Tendulkar who faced the same weak attack in 02 couldn't muster much against them - ironically 2 of his 3 100s against WIndies come in the time they were weak. See, if they've both played them when they were weak, it's Tendulkar's inability that should stand out. It doesn't matter if they're weak or even not Test class. Tendulkar had his shot, and didn't score. Conversely, Ponting has not had his shots against B/Z.

This is like me mentioning Tendulkar playing Pakistan more. In 00s Tendulkar has 1 century in 11 tests; Ponting has 4 in 9. Yes, Ponting may have scored a bit more had he played more but that's not the real difference between them.

The real difference is B/Z. Ponting's played them far fewer times and situation is compounded since they're the opponents most likely to score 100s against.

Also, Zimbabwe prior to 02 were minnows and Tendulkar had scored 2 100s prior to 02 against a very weak Zimbabwean attack.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wish I was Sachin's #1 fanboy, but unfortunately I'm not :(

It's pretty common knowledge how biased you are tbh. You can close your eyes to it or change your forum name like before, it won't change.
I love that it's common knowledge. Thanks for your two cents. I'll see you the next time someone brings your idol down for a moment or the next time someone praises him and spites someone else.

Haha yes, so good reading that stuff.

Sachin's away record is fantastic.
Don't worry, you just keep at it though, you'll get to #1 eventually.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cool, I look forward to it.

And indeed, I do enjoy fallacies like people saying Sachin has scored all his runs on flat decks being proven wrong. It's quite satisfying.

I'm sure I'll see you around the next time India are struggling to, as you've openly admitted you love seeing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar did not play as many test matches as Ponting did during their respective peaks, or atleast same number of test matches due to the ODI deluge of the late 90s and early 00s. Also despite being a year and half apart Tendulkar debuted 6-7 years before Ponting is certainly his achievement.
It's debatable if that would have helped his career or not. Possibly could have faltered or tired out. As much an achievement it is to debut as such a young age for Tendulkar; it's also an achievement to play that much cricket in such a short time and at such a high level that he is now in striking distance of the man. It goes both ways.

Of course there is the matter of Ponting getting to play today's West Indies and Pakistan of today. :ph34r:
As if today's WIndies attack is any different to the one Sachin faced in 02. And if anything, Pakistan's attack is better now than it has been at many times during this decade - which is not really a talking point since Tendulkar has only scored 1 century in the last decade against them.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Cool, I look forward to it.

And indeed, I do enjoy fallacies like people saying Sachin has scored all his runs on flat decks being proven wrong. It's quite satisfying.
Like I said that. Nice try. You were going to mention to me which part of my points were particularly biased? Was mentioning that he scored many 100s against minnows biased, or merely a fact? I see, it hurts...so it's biased.

That's right, you just say something, try to pass yourself as centred and hide your bias. Because only those like me have bias right.

I'm sure I'll see you around the next time India are struggling to, as you've openly admitted you love seeing.
Of course, I love my rivals faltering. I don't pretend I am not biased...unlike some.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Like I said that. Nice try. You were going to mention to me which part of my points were particularly biased? Was mentioning that he scored many 100s against minnows biased, or merely a fact? I see, it hurts...so it's biased.
Are you that ****ing daft?

You quoted my post where I said I enjoyed SS shutting down HGB1892 (NOT YOU), who said Sachin scored all his ton on ridiculously flat pitches in India.

Samuel Vines pointed out how SS just completely killed HGB's stupid argument, and I said "so good reading that stuff"

Believe it or not Ikki mate, this forum doesn't revolve around you.

I called you biased because you are btw.

I'm the guy that said Sachin choked against Australia in this thread: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/44488-official-australia-india-odis.html. I'm not going to pretend I have a bias for Sachin, but **** me I don't go into every thread and debate with you about why he's better than Ponting, unlike you do with Sir Alex or whoever says anyhting about Sachin.

I don't care if you think Ponting is better than Sachin, it's a fair enough comment. If you said Hayden, then I'd debate with you.

I know it ****ing annoys you that Sachin now has 8 more tons than Ponting, and more test runs, but it doesn't mean you need to take it out on everyone here on the forum who seems to enjoy Sachin batting and celebrate him breaking record after record.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The post I made had nothing to do with India or Sachin scoring all their runs on flat tracks. It's your own sensitivity to the subject matter and the player that got you from A to B.

I specifically mentioned in my post that that Tendulkar is FAR FROM A FLAT TRACK HOME BULLY. That was in plain words, not even insinuated. I just stated that there is also some truth to it being easier to bat in India.

Just like there is some truth to saying it is easier to bat now than in the 00s. But it's limited and not near definitive.

I called you biased, because you are too. Everytime Tendulkar is mentioned negatively I can see your panties rolling into a knot or trying to denigrate a poster who wants to argue or discuss it. You do it in a way so as not to cause attention to yourself...but I've read you long enough to notice a trend. If you don't like people arguing about him, piss off. It's that easy because...guess what, the forum doesn't revolve around you either Mr. 23k posts.

If you think I defend Ponting's record because I like him then you have no clue. I defend his record because I know if Tendulkar had the same record he'd be revered even higher than he is now. I like Sehwag and Dravid more than I like Ponting FFS. So your childish finger-pointing can be reversed to yourself.

All that aside I like you as a poster, but p-lease...

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
IKKI, I wasnt referring to YOUR POST about flat tracks. I was referring to HGB1892.

Are you even reading what I'm saying? Seriously?

I don't really care if you want to call me biased, but when you hijack threads I will have a crack at you.

Oh and "Mr. 23k posts". Wow man you're hardcore with your disses. I bet you say that stuff to everyone with a lot of posts on here? Or just the ones that disagree with you. :)

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Please keep the tempers cool. I don't want to have this thread locked. I don't wish to personally debate more of this Ponting vs Tendulkar.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
IKKI, I want referring to YOUR POST about flat tracks. I was referring to HGB1892.

Are you even reading what I'm saying? Seriously?

I don't really care if you want to call me biased, but when you hijack threads I will have a crack at you.
My bad I thought you were referring to the fact that I posted a reply to your comment, which is a response to his comment, that I was insinuating that as well. Since I had asked you before to state something showing I am biased, I thought that was your example.

But my point still stands, look at you love it when someone says something for the player you favour. Don't pretend you're not biased, you are. Everybody is. But the way you mention that I am biased, you're insinuating that what I am saying is not true or illogical as my bias is clouding my judgement.

So either put up where I am saying something illogical or inconsistent, even if it's just your opinion, and if you can't there is no reason to say anything at all.

Oh and "Mr. 23k posts". Wow man you're hardcore with your disses. I bet you say that stuff to everyone with a lot of posts on here? Or just the ones that disagree with you. :)
No, only the genius smart enough to say that I feel I am the centre of a forum...which ironically I post much much less in than he does.

Or maybe I should call you biased since you disagree with me? :)

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Yet Tendulkar who faced the same weak attack in 02 couldn't muster much against them - ironically 2 of his 3 100s against WIndies come in the time they were weak. See, if they've both played them when they were weak, it's Tendulkar's inability that should stand out. It doesn't matter if they're weak or even not Test class. Tendulkar had his shot, and didn't score. Conversely, Ponting has not had his shots against B/Z.

This is like me mentioning Tendulkar playing Pakistan more. In 00s Tendulkar has 1 century in 11 tests; Ponting has 4 in 9. Yes, Ponting may have scored a bit more had he played more but that's not the real difference between them.

The real difference is B/Z. Ponting's played them far fewer times and situation is compounded since they're the opponents most likely to score 100s against.

Also, Zimbabwe prior to 02 were minnows and Tendulkar had scored 2 100s prior to 02 against a very weak Zimbabwean attack.

Simple solution. Take away BD, WI and Zim, thx.

Eventually it boils down to the best 4-5 teams.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, Ikki if someone here said Ponting only scored his runs when there was no pressure (for example) and then someone replied absolutely crushing that argument in 2 lines, I'm sure you wouldn't also reply saying "yeah, good post" or something similar. 8-)

With regards to why you're biased, I still have nightmares with regards to your posts under the alias Kazaholic. And you've constantly denigrated Sachin's accomplishments... and I don't really know why to be honest.

But anyway it's hypocritical for me to criticise you and Sir Alex for hijacking a thread when I've just done so with you. So I'll end it here. But next time you're going to have a go at me about my number of posts, warn me beforehand. Because that one hurt right to the core, and I need to brace myself.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't accuse anyone of being biased unless I think they're so biased they've lost the plot. And my pet peeve is when people put things out of proportion. As good as Sachin is, he is overrated. As good as Ponting is, he is underrated. That's why you see me try to be a leveller. It's the same when I argued for Sehwag against Merchant, for Donald against McGrath, for Kallis against Sobers.

I can see why you'd love a post crushing an argument in 2 lines...but at the same time you let go of many inane comments made in favour of your favoured cricketer(s). So you are just as biased. It doesn't need saying that "everyone knows you're biased!" as if I should be ignored and you listened to. We're all biased, let's cut the ****.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.