• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being worse than someone doesn't mean you don't deserve the record!

Bradman had the record for most centuries until Gavaskar overtook him. That doesn't mean Gavaskar was a better batsman than Bradman! No one is saying that passing him means Gavaskar was better all of a sudden. That also doesn't mean the feat was undeserved!
This.

Burgey

He averages 58 in Australia against much better attacks than Ponting had to. He averages 62 in England which is much better than Ponting does. Now if you're saying these two countries produce only flat pitches then I am precam. Also Ponting's inability to buy a run on the 'flattest pitches' of the world show his frailty more than greatness.

Also the guy has scored more tons away than at home, so that argument is also pretty fail.
Mike Whitney, Peter Taylor, Paul Reiffel, Kaspa, Andy Bichel, Nathan Bracken, Brad Williams, Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson, Stuart MacGill and Shaun Tait thank you for the compliment....

Tendulkar faced McGrath and Warne, with Gillespie and Lee (for the most part) in 99-00. He averaged 46 (pretty bloody good tbf). Some, though by no means all, of the bowlers he faced on his other tours here weren't what one might call the general Australian standard of the late-90s, early-00s. It doesn't matter though, because the bloke's a freak player. One of my great pleasures to say I've watched him bat live. One to tell the grandkids.

And, we know you're Precam..

bagapath

International Captain
with each series tendulkar is pulling away from ponting faster than ever. still, if ponting could recapture some of his best form he should be able to get closer and even overtake sachin as long as he plays for a year or two beyond tendulkar's retirement.

having said that, with sachin redefining the art of his batsmanship in the last few years, it doesnt matter anymore whether his personal records are broken or not. it is now quite obvious that he will retire and be remembered as the greatest batting talent to have graced the cricket grounds across the world since the retirement of don bradman. mind you, i think viv richards and brian lara were superior batsmen. but i am talking about how the majority is going to recognize his legacy. his two centries against SA at home in this series have covered a small crack in his reputation as well. ponting, even if he overtakes tendulkar, will be remembered as a great player like g.chappell or miandad but he will always be rated below sachin. for that reason at least i hope he overtakes sachin's record as a consolation.

Last edited:

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
With Tendulkar's great form and Ponting's mediocre test form I, like most people, would be more inclined to say no. But with India's lask of upcoming tests and the BCCI's attacking test cricket like a biology scientist denied tenure at the University of Alabama I think Ponting might have a shot.

morgieb

Depends on when Tendulkar retires. I'd say no, but there's still a good chance that Ponting can get back into form...

Sir Alex

Banned
With Tendulkar's great form and Ponting's mediocre test form I, like most people, would be more inclined to say no. But with India's lask of upcoming tests and the BCCI's attacking test cricket like a biology scientist denied tenure at the University of Alabama I think Ponting might have a shot.
Precisely how is BCCI killing test cricket?

Sir Alex

Banned
Mike Whitney, Peter Taylor, Paul Reiffel, Kaspa, Andy Bichel, Nathan Bracken, Brad Williams, Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson, Stuart MacGill and Shaun Tait thank you for the compliment....

Tendulkar faced McGrath and Warne, with Gillespie and Lee (for the most part) in 99-00. He averaged 46 (pretty bloody good tbf). Some, though by no means all, of the bowlers he faced on his other tours here weren't what one might call the general Australian standard of the late-90s, early-00s. It doesn't matter though, because the bloke's a freak player. One of my great pleasures to say I've watched him bat live. One to tell the grandkids.

And, we know you're Precam..
Don't bully ok? As to the point, the bowlers you mentioned above are still much much better than 95 per cent of the bowlers who visited Australia during the last decade.

Dissector

International Debutant
The crucial issue is whether Ponting can regain his best form. There have been signs of it in his ODI performances and of course his recent double hundred. He is easily capable of scoring 6-7 hundreds in one year and Australia plays more tests than India. Right now I would say it's 50-50.

Will definitely be interesting to watch over the next couple of years and given the uncertain future of test cricket, whoever gets the records may keep them forever.

Last edited:

Burgey

Don't bully ok? As to the point, the bowlers you mentioned above are still much much better than 95 per cent of the bowlers who visited Australia during the last decade.
No, most of them aren't actually.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Thank you, but is that really enough to merit a test debut? What about the latter seasons? Tendulkar's figures were nothing less than phenomenal in his first year of test cricket yet he took about a year or so to really become accustomed to it.
Not in Australia. Probably would've debuted in another country though.

Shame on me for not knowing Agarkar was this good (averages 0.00 against Ponting in 8 matches :laugh:)

But seriously, Ishant averages 18 and Zaheer 29 vs Ponting (and curiously Sreesanth has never bowled at him in tests?)
You do realise that those averages come from the average score that they dismissed batsman. Not how many runs that particular batsman scored off of the bowler before getting him out. Right?

Sir Alex

Banned
Not in Australia. Probably would've debuted in another country though.

You do realise that those averages come from the average score that they dismissed batsman. Not how many runs that particular batsman scored off of the bowler before getting him out. Right?
He wouldn't have debuited in India though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He wouldn't have debuited in India though.
Unless he improved his ability to start and play spin on helpful tracks,he wouldn't have even be a international cricketer in India ,specially in the 1990's where wearing pitches were prevalent in domestic cricket

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless he improved his ability to start and play spin on helpful tracks,he wouldn't have even be a international cricketer in India ,specially in the 1990's where wearing pitches were prevalent in domestic cricket
Would have been brought up on them and therefore done very well IMO. A cricketer's upbringing, particularly for a batsman really helps define their style and technique. If Tendulkar was an Aussie and Ponting an Indian, I imagine that their relative strengths would probably be reversed as well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Averaging 50+ in Sri Lanka, tbh.
Ponting's case is a bit curious one. I think he can play offspin very well ubless it's not bowled by Harbhajan, but tends to struggle when ball spins away. Kumble had success over him, and in SL it was Herath, Chandana etc were the spinners dismissing him, not Murali. The reason may be that no team ever had a class SLA bowler to exploit that weakness.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sure, but Ponting's is better IMO.

The stats Manan used are slightly misleading in that they include tonnes against minnows and exclude Ponting's innings on neutral soil.

Sachin is far from a home flat track bully but batting in India is generally better than in Australia. If you're looking to discuss why Ponting is behind, simply: he hasn't played minnows as much and as
much in general. This discussion will be more worthwhile when Sachin retires. It comes down to whether Ponting will have a second wind and play long enough. I reckon he will, and hope he does just to help his legacy that much more since he is underappreciated.

Sir Alex

Banned
Sure, but Ponting's is better IMO.

The stats Manan used are slightly misleading in that they include tonnes against minnows and exclude Ponting's innings on neutral soil.

Sachin is far from a home flat track bully but batting in India is generally better than in Australia. If you're looking to discuss why Ponting is behind, simply: he hasn't played minnows as much and as
much in general. This discussion will be more worthwhile when Sachin retires. It comes down to whether Ponting will have a second wind and play long enough. I reckon he will, and hope he does just to help his legacy that much more since he is underappreciated.
What is Ponting's and Tendulkar's records ignoring the minnows? And including the neutral venues?

Status
Not open for further replies.