Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 25.81%
  • No

21 67.74%
  • Someone else will

2 6.45%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Evidence of Sachin dominating Warne outnumbers the opposite. I cannot in fact recollect the last time when Warne indeed 'troubled' Tendulkar. And to say when the faced off against each other in no fewer than 5 series is pretty much saying it.
    Warne never really troubled the two best players of his generation but somehow gets away with it because some of his inhuman performances against others are so.. well inhuman.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    Warne never really troubled the two best players of his generation but somehow gets away with it because some of his inhuman performances against others are so.. well inhuman.
    Kinda helps that those 2 players were immense players of spin.

Evidence of Sachin dominating Warne outnumbers the opposite. I cannot in fact recollect the last time when Warne indeed 'troubled' Tendulkar. And to say when the faced off against each other in no fewer than 5 series is pretty much saying it.
    The fact is Sachin would have had it easy even if he debuted against Warne in peak form. The batting line up that India had were exteremely impressive aainst spin. Shasthri, Sidhu, Azhar, Patil, Gavaskar, Kambli, Jadeja or Sehwag are amazing players of spin. Sachin would have quietly fitted in to that big jigsaw.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Kinda helps that those 2 players were immense players of spin.

Yeah even murali had little success probably against SRT in SL and thats about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    The fact is Sachin would have had it easy even if he debuted against Warne in peak form. The batting line up that India had were exteremely impressive aainst spin. Shasthri, Sidhu, Azhar, Patil, Gavaskar, Kambli, Jadeja or Sehwag are amazing players of spin. Sachin would have quietly fitted in to that big jigsaw.
    Of course, India boasted of some of the world's finest spin players. But it is not as if Tendulkar had dominated Warne in only in their company. While people talk about 98 an oft forgotten fact is that a full Australian side played the then champs Mumbai in a 4 day warm up. A break from tradition, Tendulkar sought permission to play in that match. He was dismissed cheaply by Warne in the first innings, but in the second, on a much worse pitch, Tendulkar launched an attack on Warne which I don't think he has done even in ODIs ever since. Tendulkar scored a 190 ball double hundred and Warne ended up conceding over 100 runs in 15 overs i think. One of the many sixers he hit was a slog sweep that went out of the stadium, and if the Hindu's correspondent could be believed the ball was still in half volley when it exited the stadium. Sehwag would've creamed his pants out had he seen that!

Banned
    Omg some discrepancies in my account of Bombay vs Australians match. In fact Tendulkar scored that double hundred in Bombay's first innings and not as i mentioned. I got the Chennai test which succeeded it and this awfully mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by HGB1892 View Post
    How many of Tendulkar's tons have come on ridiculously flat pitches in India? Quite a few i'd bet. I'm not slagging Sachin by the way, i just think that Ponting would edge him in an even contest IMHO.
    Don't let the Facts get in your way.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

International 12th Man
    In this comparison, would you think the Indian bowlers (that Ponting faced) were comparable to the Australian bowlers (that Tendulkar did)?

(I would take either of the implications: Either Harbhajan, Kumble & co are given their due on CW or that's one more thing that Ponting had an easier time of).

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Shame on me for not knowing Agarkar was this good (averages 0.00 against Ponting in 8 matches )

But seriously, Ishant averages 18 and Zaheer 29 vs Ponting (and curiously Sreesanth has never bowled at him in tests?)

Guys this isn't a Ponting vs. Sachin debate FFS!

Anyway, as I've held for maaaaaaaaaany years (and proudly now that I'm looking like I'll be right), I believe that Sachin's most runs and most tons will not be surpassed by Ricky.

But I think Kallis is a threat, as his game is most suited to continuing despite his eyes going. He also can go forever because he is not captain. He is also Jacques Kallis and can do almost anything (except get a double ton).
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Simon Champion!
    Don't think Kallis is a threat.

He does not seem to me the type of guy who will continue for very long.And his fitness is a question mark too.

You reckon he's a guy that won't keep playing and playing?

I think the exact opposite.

Agree to disagree though.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I wouldn't think there are any question marks around Kallis' fitness.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    His summer returns despite having two bottom tier teams to face has not been as productive as it used to be.
    Clever non-mention of his ****house elbow injury that he played through.. nice work..

Don't know if he'll pass him tbh. Occasionally Ponting has these troubles with his back (or has in the past), don't know if that would keep him from going on long enough.

Certainly Tendulkar seems to be keeping-on-keeping-on right now. Personally waiting to see if Ponting can dial back his game a little to adjust for age, as Tendulkar has to some extent (that's a wrap on him btw, not a criticism). Will be interesting to see if he's able to do that, or indeed if he has to. Seems to me, fwiw, that he does.
    Last edited by Burgey; 15-02-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information