View Poll Results: Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 25.81%
  • No

21 67.74%
  • Someone else will

2 6.45%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    if he did.. he doesn't deserve it... such record only suits a great batsman like Tendulkar to keep.. Pointing may go down as one of the best..but I don't think he will be as good as sachin..
    Interesting. Why he shouldn't be deserving if he broke the record? I'd personally regard him as even better than Tendulkar because he'd have had an unbelievable run then against all odds not to mention a more complete record.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Not going to get into Ponting vs. Tendulkar, but deserve doesn't come into it. If you achieve it, you deserve it. Kapil Dev broke Richard Hadlee's record. Dev was nowhere near the bowler Hadlee was.

No one made those runs for him or took wickets for Kapil. He did it year after year. You get the record, and you did it the hard way, and you deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Dano.85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Not going to get into Ponting vs. Tendulkar, but deserve doesn't come into it. If you achieve it, you deserve it. Kapil Dev broke Richard Hadlee's record. Dev was nowhere near the bowler Hadlee was.

No one made those runs for him or took wickets for Kapil. He did it year after year. You get the record, and you did it the hard way, and you deserve it.
    Well said, totally agree.
    You nick it, i'll catch it then i will send you the scorecard for the next year.

How many of Tendulkar's tons have come on ridiculously flat pitches in India? Quite a few i'd bet. I'm not slagging Sachin by the way, i just think that Ponting would edge him in an even contest IMHO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HGB1892 View Post
    How many of Tendulkar's tons have come on ridiculously flat pitches in India? Quite a few i'd bet. I'm not slagging Sachin by the way, i just think that Ponting would edge him in an even contest IMHO.
    He averages 58 in Australia against much better attacks than Ponting had to. He averages 62 in England which is much better than Ponting does. Now if you're saying these two countries produce only flat pitches then I am precam. Also Ponting's inability to buy a run on the 'flattest pitches' of the world show his frailty more than greatness.

Also the guy has scored more tons away than at home, so that argument is also pretty fail.

Tendulkar (away): 26 out of 47 centuries, average of 55.5
    Ponting (away): 16 out of 39 centuries, average 49.2
    Last edited by silentstriker; 15-02-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    If Shane Warne had emerged as a force as he did c. 1993/94 2-3 years ago, and Australia were gearing up for a tour of India, there's no way that Tendulkar now would do the same as he did in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    If Shane Warne had emerged as a force as he did c. 1993/94 2-3 years ago, and Australia were gearing up for a tour of India, there's no way that Tendulkar now would do the same as he did in 1998.
    Nah, Warne would have still been smashed out of the attack by Sidhu and Azhar, who were exactly the ones who wrote the script about how Warne should be played even in later series.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Less than the number of tons Ponting has scored on ridiculous flat pitches in Australia.

Tendulkar has scored over half of his tons away from home, averages close to 60 in Australia and over 60 in England, and averages almost exactly outside India what he averages in India.

If Indian pitches were so easy, Ponting would have a better average in India as well.

The "all subcontinental pitches are flat and easy to score runs on" argument is an extremely lazy one.
    Last edited by Furball; 15-02-2010 at 10:41 AM.

You all remember M. Yousuf breaking Viv Richards record of making the most runs in a year..To me the discussion of comparing Sachin to Pointing goes the same direction as Sir Viv vs. yousuf.. Is yousuf as good or even better than Sir Viv considering that he has a better average too.. the answer is noo.. yess yousuf made all those runs in a year but he didn't face quality bowling.. he didn't bat tanciously as Sir Viv.. and most importantly he will never have a counter attack style that Sir Viv had.. as a cricket fan, I enjoy those batsman who single handedly dominate the bowlers..Sir Viv used to do that to any bowler that he faced.. Has yousuf ever done this in his whole career.. maybe in a few ocations... but certianly he didn't make a career out of it..

Ponting may have been very lucky that he didn't face the likes of McGrath and Shane Warne.. He didn't face guys like Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar and Donald at their peak..Sachin faced all of these bowlers at their peak.. he scored alot of runs of them.. So if Ponting would have faced these bowlers and still managed to keep the record he has now.. then he deserved to overtake Sachin's record..

The "all subcontinental pitches are flat and easy to score runs on" argument is an extremely lazy one.
    And used when they clutch for the straws as well

Yes, performance of him and Sidhu (let's not forget him) was orgasmic. This was when Warne had nightmares about Sachin.

There was a story Shane Warne told about this after he retired:

In 1998, Warne was bowling to Sachin, the ball landed perfectly, spun ferociously and Warne thought it was a wicket for sure. The next thing he knows, Tendulkar nonchalantly got on his knees and hit it against the spin for a boundary.

Taylor came upto Shane after that, and asked: "What do we do now, mate?" And Warne said, "We lose." I don't know how much truth there is in that story, and Warne likes to tell some good ones, but it pretty much epitomized Tendulkar at his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    You all remember M. Yousuf breaking Viv Richards record of making the most runs in a year..To me the discussion of comparing Sachin to Pointing goes the same direction as Sir Viv vs. yousuf.. Is yousuf as good or even better than Sir Viv considering that he has a better average too.. the answer is noo.. yess yousuf made all those runs in a year but he didn't face quality bowling.. he didn't bat tanciously as Sir Viv.. and most importantly he will never have a counter attack style that Sir Viv had.. as a cricket fan, I enjoy those batsman who single handedly dominate the bowlers..Sir Viv used to do that to any bowler that he faced.. Has yousuf ever done this in his whole career.. maybe in a few ocations... but certianly he didn't make a career out of it..

Ponting may have been very lucky that he didn't face the likes of McGrath and Shane Warne.. He didn't face guys like Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar and Donald at their peak..Sachin faced all of these bowlers at their peak.. he scored alot of runs of them.. So if Ponting would have faced these bowlers and still managed to keep the record he has now.. then he deserved to overtake Sachin's record..
    Being worse than someone doesn't mean you don't deserve the record!

Bradman had the record for most centuries until Gavaskar overtook him. That doesn't mean Gavaskar was a better batsman than Bradman! No one is saying that passing him means Gavaskar was better all of a sudden. That also doesn't mean the feat was undeserved!

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I think Sachin might just be pushing clear of Ponting. It will be a great effort from Ponting to claim the record now and if he does it he will deserve it. Really hoping that he doesn't though.

Banned
    Evidence of Sachin dominating Warne outnumbers the opposite. I cannot in fact recollect the last time when Warne indeed 'troubled' Tendulkar. And to say when the faced off against each other in no fewer than 5 series is pretty much saying it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information