• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Shane Warne had emerged as a force as he did c. 1993/94 2-3 years ago, and Australia were gearing up for a tour of India, there's no way that Tendulkar now would do the same as he did in 1998.
Yes, performance of him and Sidhu (let's not forget him) was orgasmic. This was when Warne had nightmares about Sachin.

There was a story Shane Warne told about this after he retired:

In 1998, Warne was bowling to Sachin, the ball landed perfectly, spun ferociously and Warne thought it was a wicket for sure. The next thing he knows, Tendulkar nonchalantly got on his knees and hit it against the spin for a boundary.

Taylor came upto Shane after that, and asked: "What do we do now, mate?" And Warne said, "We lose." I don't know how much truth there is in that story, and Warne likes to tell some good ones, but it pretty much epitomized Tendulkar at his peak.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You all remember M. Yousuf breaking Viv Richards record of making the most runs in a year..To me the discussion of comparing Sachin to Pointing goes the same direction as Sir Viv vs. yousuf.. Is yousuf as good or even better than Sir Viv considering that he has a better average too.. the answer is noo.. yess yousuf made all those runs in a year but he didn't face quality bowling.. he didn't bat tanciously as Sir Viv.. and most importantly he will never have a counter attack style that Sir Viv had.. as a cricket fan, I enjoy those batsman who single handedly dominate the bowlers..Sir Viv used to do that to any bowler that he faced.. Has yousuf ever done this in his whole career.. maybe in a few ocations... but certianly he didn't make a career out of it..

Ponting may have been very lucky that he didn't face the likes of McGrath and Shane Warne.. He didn't face guys like Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar and Donald at their peak..Sachin faced all of these bowlers at their peak.. he scored alot of runs of them.. So if Ponting would have faced these bowlers and still managed to keep the record he has now.. then he deserved to overtake Sachin's record..
Being worse than someone doesn't mean you don't deserve the record!

Bradman had the record for most centuries until Gavaskar overtook him. That doesn't mean Gavaskar was a better batsman than Bradman! No one is saying that passing him means Gavaskar was better all of a sudden. That also doesn't mean the feat was undeserved!

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think Sachin might just be pushing clear of Ponting. It will be a great effort from Ponting to claim the record now and if he does it he will deserve it. Really hoping that he doesn't though.

Sir Alex

Banned
Evidence of Sachin dominating Warne outnumbers the opposite. I cannot in fact recollect the last time when Warne indeed 'troubled' Tendulkar. And to say when the faced off against each other in no fewer than 5 series is pretty much saying it.

L Trumper

State Regular
Evidence of Sachin dominating Warne outnumbers the opposite. I cannot in fact recollect the last time when Warne indeed 'troubled' Tendulkar. And to say when the faced off against each other in no fewer than 5 series is pretty much saying it.
Warne never really troubled the two best players of his generation but somehow gets away with it because some of his inhuman performances against others are so.. well inhuman.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Warne never really troubled the two best players of his generation but somehow gets away with it because some of his inhuman performances against others are so.. well inhuman.
Kinda helps that those 2 players were immense players of spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact is Sachin would have had it easy even if he debuted against Warne in peak form. The batting line up that India had were exteremely impressive aainst spin. Shasthri, Sidhu, Azhar, Patil, Gavaskar, Kambli, Jadeja or Sehwag are amazing players of spin. Sachin would have quietly fitted in to that big jigsaw.

Sir Alex

Banned
The fact is Sachin would have had it easy even if he debuted against Warne in peak form. The batting line up that India had were exteremely impressive aainst spin. Shasthri, Sidhu, Azhar, Patil, Gavaskar, Kambli, Jadeja or Sehwag are amazing players of spin. Sachin would have quietly fitted in to that big jigsaw.
Of course, India boasted of some of the world's finest spin players. But it is not as if Tendulkar had dominated Warne in only in their company. While people talk about 98 an oft forgotten fact is that a full Australian side played the then champs Mumbai in a 4 day warm up. A break from tradition, Tendulkar sought permission to play in that match. He was dismissed cheaply by Warne in the first innings, but in the second, on a much worse pitch, Tendulkar launched an attack on Warne which I don't think he has done even in ODIs ever since. Tendulkar scored a 190 ball double hundred and Warne ended up conceding over 100 runs in 15 overs i think. One of the many sixers he hit was a slog sweep that went out of the stadium, and if the Hindu's correspondent could be believed the ball was still in half volley when it exited the stadium. Sehwag would've creamed his pants out had he seen that!

Sir Alex

Banned
Omg some discrepancies in my account of Bombay vs Australians match. In fact Tendulkar scored that double hundred in Bombay's first innings and not as i mentioned. I got the Chennai test which succeeded it and this awfully mixed up. :)

jeevan

International 12th Man
In this comparison, would you think the Indian bowlers (that Ponting faced) were comparable to the Australian bowlers (that Tendulkar did)?

(I would take either of the implications: Either Harbhajan, Kumble & co are given their due on CW or that's one more thing that Ponting had an easier time of).

jeevan

International 12th Man

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Guys this isn't a Ponting vs. Sachin debate FFS!

Anyway, as I've held for maaaaaaaaaany years (and proudly now that I'm looking like I'll be right), I believe that Sachin's most runs and most tons will not be surpassed by Ricky.

But I think Kallis is a threat, as his game is most suited to continuing despite his eyes going. He also can go forever because he is not captain. He is also Jacques Kallis and can do almost anything (except get a double ton).

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think Kallis is a threat.

He does not seem to me the type of guy who will continue for very long.And his fitness is a question mark too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You reckon he's a guy that won't keep playing and playing?

I think the exact opposite.

Agree to disagree though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His summer returns despite having two bottom tier teams to face has not been as productive as it used to be.
Clever non-mention of his ****house elbow injury that he played through.. nice work..

Don't know if he'll pass him tbh. Occasionally Ponting has these troubles with his back (or has in the past), don't know if that would keep him from going on long enough.

Certainly Tendulkar seems to be keeping-on-keeping-on right now. Personally waiting to see if Ponting can dial back his game a little to adjust for age, as Tendulkar has to some extent (that's a wrap on him btw, not a criticism). Will be interesting to see if he's able to do that, or indeed if he has to. Seems to me, fwiw, that he does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.