• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 4 All Rounders Ever

gap2

Banned
Now this is a tricky question. Most of the times the question is about the top 3 all rounders ever. And the answer is unanimous - Gary Sobers, Imran Khan, Keith Miller. At least that's the opinion I share, don't know about you guys.

However, given the job of picking the top 4 all rounders ever, it gets really tricky. There are quite a few contenders for that spot. Kapil Dev ? What about Ian Botham ? Or what about the modern day great Jacques Kallis ? Or is there someone whom I'm missing ?

Another issue. While I've already listed my top 3 all rounders above, why is it that despite having the stats of qualifying for that list, Kallis nearly always misses out. I myself can't convince myself of rating Kallis among the top 3 all rounders ever. And that's because I believe that Sobers, Imran and Miller had a much better impact than Kallis did. What's your opinion on this issue ? Do you think it's unfair on Kallis despite having the stats on his side ?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Sir Richard Hadlee a major omission in your post, I'd rank him in my top four of all time alongside Sobers, Imran Khan and Keith Miller.

archie mac

International Coach
I think Botham one of the greats and I would have him in front of Imran

Lets not forget Faulkner, Giffen and Noble

gap2

Banned
Now this is a tricky question. Most of the times the question is about the top 3 all rounders ever. And the answer is unanimous - Gary Sobers, Imran Khan, Keith Miller. At least that's the opinion I share, don't know about you guys.

However, given the job of picking the top 4 all rounders ever, it gets really tricky. There are quite a few contenders for that spot. Kapil Dev ? What about Ian Botham ? Or what about the modern day great Jacques Kallis ? Or is there someone whom I'm missing ?

Another issue. While I've already listed my top 3 all rounders above, why is it that despite having the stats of qualifying for that list, Kallis nearly always misses out. I myself can't convince myself of rating Kallis among the top 3 all rounders ever. And that's because I believe that Sobers, Imran and Miller had a much better impact than Kallis did. What's your opinion on this issue ? Do you think it's unfair on Kallis despite having the stats on his side ?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Surely Botham, considering that his peaks with bat, bowl and field coincided, should be considered the best all-rounder, certainly better than Khan who started a bowler and finished a batsman.

Botham in his prime was number 1 as he excelled in all departments at once.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think the top 7 of Miller, Sobers, Imran, Hadlee, Botham, Kapil Dev, and Kallis (in no order other than chronological) is very easy to set.

Those 7 have a gap on the rest of the field for mine.

Last edited: