• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players with misleading averages....

Which of the following players have misleading stats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Which players do you think have stats that make them out to be much better/worse than they actually are?
All of the above seem about right to me.

Today namely- Thilan Thusara Samaraweera

As mentioned on another thread, Mark Waugh's test batting average misleads as to how good a player he was, or at least could be.

I also wondered why Laxman's average lingered around the 43 mark for so long when he was clearly a masterful player on his day, against the very best as well.

Any batsman whose average is boosted by a very high % of "not outs". Steve Waugh being an example. Imran Khan when you compare his record with Ian Botham also benefitted through this.

Murali' stats are slightly distored by Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, he is closer to Warne average and strike rate wise when you remove wickets against them.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I would like to say Broad is better than his stats, but as of today he isn't. He is quoted as wanting to be a Mcgrath type bowler but still bowls a bad bowl too many - too close to leg side and half-volleys mainly.

He will improve though and he has a natural talent with the bat.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
From your list-

Gambhir's 55+ batting average- He is young and they will it will even out to the late 40s I am guessing.

Yousuf's 53+ batting average- About right

Jayawardene's 52+ batting average- Recognises he can put a massive score on when he gets in.

Sehwags 53+ batting average- Love him, well deserved.

Hussey's 50+ average in both forms- His test average is on the way down. He is a finisher in ODIs and is boosted by not outs.

Younis Khan's 50+ average- Very good player

Steyn's bowling stats- Very good player

Asif's bowling stats- Not time enough to tell yet.

Broad's bowling stats- See my previous post.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Mohammad Yousuf is definately not as good as what his career average suggests. His about on par, if not worse then Thilan Samaraweera.

He averages under 30 against the three best bowling attacks of his generation - Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka.

Also averages 250 against Bangladesh and 101 against the West Indies (bowlers that average 40+ in test cricket).

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
The only one in that list that deserves a 50+ batting average is Gautam Gambhir. Others are glorified flat-track bullies.

Edit: Except Hussey.

L Trumper

State Regular
Gambhir's 55+ batting average - Misleading , yet to play in Eng,Sa,Aus conditions , I expect him to be avg around 50

Yousuf's 53+ batting average - Had a period of excellence from 04-06, probably between 47 - 50 guy

Jayawardene's 52+ batting average - One big score for series , mostly feasted against bangladesh and in home , but has the ability to go real big. not 50 avg batter but a real good one from 45 - 50 more like yousuf

Sehwags 53+ batting average - Hard to comprehend his situation, i'd say 53 is fine measure

Hussey's 50+ average in both forms - Sounds about right

Younis Khan's 50+ average - same as jaya and yousuf around 45 mark rather than 50

Steyn's bowling stats - Average seems ok , but SR is mind blowing not sure he is the greatest of attacking quicks; Still proving himself good for 3 years, couple more years like that means he deserved that

Asif's bowling stats - Sounds about right, shoulda been a bit lower if it isn't all those butter fingers in the team

Broa'ds bowling stats - He shoulda been a better bowler by now, but he bowls rubbish more often than not, but his odi stats are good.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Brian lara's average of 52.89 is far less than it should have been mainly because-

1-Less number of not outs(only 6)
2-He faced the worlds best attack of all the other top 7 teams and played only 4 tests versus zim and ban combined.
3-Unluckiest in terms of umpiring decisions i.e (number of times he was given out when he was not out - number of times he was given not out when he was out):@

King Pietersen

International Captain
:laugh: Sorry I have to laugh whenever I see an adult who thinks not outs somehow magically boost your averages.
They do boost your averages. In ODi's Hussey's batting average is 54.52, his average per innings is 35.84. Then his Test not outs raise his average from 46.01 to 53.04.

Edit: Just seen Uppercut's post, fair point. Proven wrong.

L Trumper

State Regular
Brian lara's average of 52.89 is far less than it should have been mainly because-

1-Less number of not outs(only 6)
2-He faced the worlds best attack of all the other top 7 teams and played only 4 tests versus zim and ban combined.
3-Unluckiest in terms of umpiring decisions i.e (number of times he was given out when he was not out - number of times he was given not out when he was out):@
Should agree with that. Then again lara is at his best generally against great bowling and good against normal bowling. Player of lara's ability averaging same as jaya,MoYO etc is a travesty. But he had a better avg than richards,gavskar et al. So from that POV it seems fair enough.

All of the above seem about right to me.

Today namely- Thilan Thusara Samaraweera

As mentioned on another thread, Mark Waugh's test batting average misleads as to how good a player he was, or at least could be.

I also wondered why Laxman's average lingered around the 43 mark for so long when he was clearly a masterful player on his day, against the very best as well.

Any batsman whose average is boosted by a very high % of "not outs". Steve Waugh being an example. Imran Khan when you compare his record with Ian Botham also benefitted through this.

Murali' stats are slightly distored by Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, he is closer to Warne average and strike rate wise when you remove wickets against them.
Yeah forgot Samaraweera, he shouldn't be averaging even 45. Laxman is all class bat but very inconsistent; Mark Waugh was very much the same. I think their stats indicate that. You're right on the money about Warne and Murali. Without Zim/Bang, Murali has 616 wickets against Warne's 685!

Should agree with that. Then again lara is at his best generally against great bowling and good against normal bowling. Player of lara's ability averaging same as jaya,MoYO etc is a travesty. But he had a better avg than richards,gavskar et al. So from that POV it seems fair enough.
I think Jayasuriya averages 40 something not 50+

From your list-

Gambhir's 55+ batting average- He is young and they will it will even out to the late 40s I am guessing.

Yousuf's 53+ batting average- About right

Jayawardene's 52+ batting average- Recognises he can put a massive score on when he gets in.

Sehwags 53+ batting average- Love him, well deserved.

Hussey's 50+ average in both forms- His test average is on the way down. He is a finisher in ODIs and is boosted by not outs.

Younis Khan's 50+ average- Very good player

Steyn's bowling stats- Very good player

Asif's bowling stats- Not time enough to tell yet.

Broad's bowling stats- See my previous post.
Agree with most of your points except the "boosted by not outs" argument. It is to Hussey's credit that he remains unbeaten, isn't it?