• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is he deliberately trying to wind the ECB up?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A real event planned in advance that isnt subject to abitrary whims and has a set and defined qualification and it is administered by a governing body with representation from all participants and accountabilty to its members.

The Champions Trophy, on the other hand, is a joke event though obviously lucrative.
I enjoyed CL more than World Cup TBH. I actually enjoyed the IPL more than T20 World Cup too, but that's just me. That's partly because I enjoy cheering for teams like Middlesex or Victoria, over 'having' to pick India. More fun, less hassles, a more even field...always prefer club vs club over country vs country with very few exceptions - but again, that's probably just me being in the minority.

The CL governing body consists of the three founding members. England had their chance and chose Stanford instead. So they have to live with it - not that it is necessarily a big deal to the ECB to skip out on the CL.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I enjoyed CL more than World Cup TBH. I actually enjoyed the IPL more than T20 World Cup too, but that's just me. That's partly because I enjoy cheering for teams like Middlesex or Victoria, over 'having' to pick India. More fun, less hassles, a more even field...always prefer club vs club over country vs country with very few exceptions - but again, that's probably just me being in the minority.
Actually I don't think you are in a minority; after all the most popular team sports in the world are pre-dominantly club-based. Personally I don't much care for arbitrary teams brought together purely by money and much prefer sports with national teams. So I am lukewarm towards the IPL and CL but love the T20 world cup.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
A real event planned in advance that isnt subject to abitrary whims and has a set and defined qualification and it is administered by a governing body with representation from all participants and accountabilty to its members.
One that moves around countries would be nice, too.

One that moves around countries would be nice, too.

Yes this could have been a possibility but the ECB were to busy sucking up to Stanford to be bothered putting in any input to the CL.

Whats their problem now, Stanfords millions have evaporated and now the ECB want to complain about them not getting a fair run in the CL. To bad the CL is not like the Stanford deal where the ECB only worried about themselves.

The ECB went out on a limb and it has broken and they have landed on their arse and now are complaining.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes this could have been a possibility but the ECB were to busy sucking up to Stanford to be bothered putting in any input to the CL.

Whats their problem now, Stanfords millions have evaporated and now the ECB want to complain about them not getting a fair run in the CL. To bad the CL is not like the Stanford deal where the ECB only worried about themselves.

The ECB went out on a limb and it has broken and they have landed on their arse and now are complaining.
I dont think anyone is complaining about that. England made their choice.Its just that noone can claim that this is a legit international tournament either. Its an IPL tournament with couple of minor partners.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, it doesn't have countries competing, so I don't think anyone is saying it's international. It's supposed to be the best domestic sides from the countries that founded the tournament...and probably will contain teams from all countries that play Tests except possibly Pakistan and England.

I dont think anyone is complaining about that. England made their choice.Its just that noone can claim that this is a legit international tournament either. Its an IPL tournament with couple of minor partners.
There are several countries involved so yes it is a legit international tournament.

I dont know what you have against the IPL but it is no different to the ICC organised events.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There are several countries involved so yes it is a legit international tournament.

I dont know what you have against the IPL but it is no different to the ICC organised events.
I have nothing against the IPL. However the IPL should not be trying to dictate international schedules.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well, it doesn't have countries competing, so I don't think anyone is saying it's international. It's supposed to be the best domestic sides from the countries that founded the tournament...and probably will contain teams from all countries that play Tests except possibly Pakistan and England.
It is trying to be an international tournament though.

If a Champions League is to exist and be respectable then a UEFA style tournament is needed with the International governing body running it rather than (mainly) one Board.

This is a festival. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
I have nothing against the IPL. However the IPL should not be trying to dictate international schedules.
It is not dictating international schedules and works around the FTP.

The IPL have done nothing wrong or out of order. Its a beat up over nothing.